Need advice. Living/working abroad for one year, two people. - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Studying, Living, Working, Volunteering Abroad, Expats

Studying, Living, Working, Volunteering Abroad, Expats Currently or planning on studying abroad, living abroad, working abroad, and volunteering abroad. Expats talk for all of you Huck Finn's out there. You rebels with a without a cause. Summer travel is child's play to you. See Europe by train
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2007, 10:39 PM   #1
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Need advice. Living/working abroad for one year, two people.

This is a tad lengthy, but I figure the more specific I am the better advice I'll be able to get.

I'm posting this in search of advice on how two people (my girlfriend and I) might spend a gap year between university and grad school working abroad.

Here's all the information I think is relevant:

-At the time of going abroad (Late summer or fall 08) I'll be 22 and she'll be 23.
-I have dual US/EU citizenship via Ireland. She is only a US citizen.
-I'll be a recent graduate, but she graduated Spring 07 so she'll have been out of college for over a year. (I've found that this is a problem because some programs only want people who have been full-time students in the last year).
-I have a little Spanish (up to AP in high school, for what it's worth).
-We're willing to any kind of work, as long as training is provided. And making money is not the point of this, but we'd like to try to at least break even, or at least not fall too far into the debt.
-We'd like to go somewhere in Europe, but South America, Australia, New Zealand, or maybe somewhere else would be okay too.

From what I've looked up, it seems like we're going to want to go with a US-based program that places us in a foreign country, especially in Europe--since from what I've read it's very hard for a non-EU citizen to get a work visa.

In particular I've looked into the BUNAC program in New Zealand. They want about $500 to take care of the visa process, provide accomodation for the first few nights, and provide ongoing assistance with finding accomodation and a job. They also offer deals on flights and travel insurance.

So far I've read mixed reviews about whether or not it's worth it go with BUNAC, or whether we should just do it on our own.

Any thoughts on BUNAC, or any other suggestions on ways for us to spend a year abroad, would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

mawbdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 07:29 PM   #2
Tpunk Senior Moderators
marc873's Avatar
Join Date: May 2006
Location: in transit
Posts: 2,071
Thanks: 3
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Wish I had better info, all I can tell you is that you can work for cash in most places in Europe, hostels, bars, etc.... But I know thats not what you are looking for. Good Luck!
When an adventure ends you can never go back, never relive it, never hope to feel the same emotion. The secret is to not try and go back but to keep searching for new adventure....
marc873 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:51 AM.


Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.2.0

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121