Taking off after school... - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Studying, Living, Working, Volunteering Abroad, Expats

Studying, Living, Working, Volunteering Abroad, Expats Currently or planning on studying abroad, living abroad, working abroad, and volunteering abroad. Expats talk for all of you Huck Finn's out there. You rebels with a without a cause. Summer travel is child's play to you.

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2007, 02:46 PM   #1
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Send a message via AIM to juliagulia Send a message via MSN to juliagulia
Default Taking off after school...

Found a really interesting article online today and decided others on TP would appreciate it.

http://content.comcast.monster.com/a...c_n=comcast006

Quote:

Should You Take a Year Off After Graduation?
by Peter Vogt
MonsterTRAK Career Coach

You'd like to take a few months or even a year after college to do something off the beaten career path, but you're worried about the effect on your job prospects after your self-imposed sabbatical is over. Take heart: Such a break can often be empowering and beneficial to your career.

"If an employer thinks you wasted a year by biking in Eastern Europe or tutoring children at a homeless shelter, then why would you want to work for that employer?" says Jerry Houser, director of the Career Development Center at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) in Pasadena, California.

Besides, says Colleen Kinder, author of Delaying the Real World: A Twentysomething's Guide to Seeking Adventure, potential employers will just as likely respect your decision as question it.

"I gathered the stories and tips of over a hundred young adventurers for Delaying the Real World," says Kinder, a 2003 Yale graduate who after graduation lived in Cuba, traveled throughout Latin America and volunteered with the elderly. "So many of them stressed how much their unconventional experiences have benefited their careers."

Time Off Shouldn't Be Just a Vacation

But unconventional shouldn't mean unproductive. Investing your time, energy and money in traveling abroad, volunteering or otherwise expanding your horizons can pay career dividends if you learn about yourself along the way.
"Learn what makes you happy, sad, angry, hopeful; learn about your integrity, how you make decisions, how you interact with others, because [as an employer], I'm going to ask you about these," says Steven Levy, principal of Huntington Bay, New York-based Outside-the-Box Consulting, a human resources development company.

Scott Dinsmore has plenty of answers for any interviewer. A 2004 graduate of the University of California-Santa Barbara, Dinsmore spent last year in Sevilla, Spain, where he not only taught English to native Spanish-speaking professionals but also launched and ran a business around his instructional activities. Now he's searching for a consulting job in the San Francisco Bay Area, and his Spain experiment is only helping his cause.

"So far, the interviewers and people I've met with have been very impressed with what I did last year and the experience that I was able to create for myself," says Dinsmore.

Allison Aiken shares similar sentiments. After graduating from the University of South Carolina in May 2000, she spent three months working and saving money so she could head for Edinburgh, Scotland, in September. There, through a "working holidays" program called BUNAC, Aiken served as a receptionist in a doctor's office before traveling through Europe and the Philippines.

"Most employers have thought it was a great thing for me to do," says Aiken, who now does media relations, event planning, media research and PR strategy/planning for clients as an assistant account executive for Tugboat Communications in Charlotte, North Carolina. "They all have come to me as a sort of international expert in work-related situations, and they've often told me that even though I may still be young, my experiences have proven that I'm wiser than my age."

Manage the Career Risks

A postgraduation hiatus, as Houser calls it, does pose some career-related risks. For starters, you'll have to work hard to reconnect with old contacts on your return, warns Krystal Temple, a 2005 Arizona State University grad who is now an account coordinator for Tempe, Arizona-based advertising and public relations firm Off Madison Ave.

"Many potential employers questioned why I didn't have a job right away after graduating, and some were not that impressed or didn't admire the fact that I was trying to better myself," says Temple, who participated in a postgraduation seven-week study-abroad program in Spain. However, "some did take into consideration that traveling abroad was interesting and worthy and important."

So while there's always that voice telling you to take the conventional career path right after graduation, give equal time to the one saying, "Do something different, and do it now -- while you still can."

"I cannot express the importance of it enough," Dinsmore says. "Some people see me as being a year behind compared to everyone who jumped into the grind straight out of college. But I'm confident that my experience put me leaps ahead."

Living In: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Next up!

Poland (February!)
juliagulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:48 PM   #2
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

hey thanks for the article! I think this raises an important point for people at transitional points in their life, especially when thinking of grad school or applying to jobs or a career change.

I think taking time helps you figure out what you want and also gives you more to bring to the table when interviewing for jobs and grad schools. so many people are this cookie-cutter applicant, who have this GPA and this work experience, and were in these clubs. but someone who has been to 11 countries, taught themselves a local language, volunteered abroad, whatever else, they have something extra to bring to the table. you as an applicant will stick out in their minds even if the experience you have is irrelevent to the job. it shows your character and work ethic if you can show that you didn't just get drunk every night when you backpacked europe for a year (I don't know who can afford to do that anyway!)

the author of the article raises an important point too -- when he says that if an employer can't appreciate that you took time abroad, then maybe they are not the right fit for you. I think that's a very good point.

anyhoo, that's my 2 cents!

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:44 PM   #3
always trippin'

I took almost 2 years off between high school and coming to the US...traveling, volunteering and all that, and will definitely be taking time off after I finish to explore more of the world (not that I've stopped doing that at the moment, heh). My travels have taught me so much more about the world and about myself than anything I've learned in the classroom, and I wouldn't have given up these experiences for anything. And since I've resigned myself to being a destitute art major for the rest of my life, I figure I might as well travel while I can and worry about career later.

Check out my band!
freespiritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:25 PM   #4
Tpunk Senior Moderators

So I agree with everything being said, but I also want to point out that I am 34 and still traveling like a champ. I don't think it should just be looked at as an after highschool or college thing. Traveling is good for EVERYONE. But for a person at a younger age (highschool,college), worldly travel can have a lasting impact on their lives and change their path for ever. From what I see, the U.S. is one of those countries that doesn't encourage traveling, but more of a slave to the grind mentality, thus the lack of respect or interest from prospective employers. Maybe thats why every Aussie I ever meet is so down to earth and grounded. As in there culture, travel after school is expected. Such a wonderful culture
So I don't know if any of this related, but its what I thought after reading etc.....
Old 09-26-2007, 05:39 PM   #5
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

good point marc -- americans get the least amount of vacation time per year of any other country out there. I read somewhere the australians get like 6 weeks a year and americans get 2-3 weeks per year or something. in my travels it seems that america is just... rush rush rush work work work while everyone else in the world is just kicking it sometimes. I think everyone needs to take a hint!

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:57 PM   #6
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

Marc, I think you have a point regarding American culture being less conducive to encouraging travel.

I am not sure there is any particular hostility towards backpacking around so much as I think that traveling is not real "obvious". It is something that most people want to do but assume they can't because it is expensive and difficult.

However, if you see someone you know traveling to some far off exotic locale you may be more likely to think, well if they can do it why can't I? I had a guy at work tell me that when I went to Japan I had better have about 5k with me when I arrive. I spent a total of 2400 bucks including flight and rail pass and didn't skimp too much on everything else.

I talked to an alum who had no idea what a hostel was. To him it sounded sketchy as hell but not after I explained it. He said "Oh that is kind of like a dorm" Bingo!

I am trying to convince a friend to come to Italy with my sister. A friend from high school just got back from a trip to London and Rome and has the travel bug bad. He is already saving up for an RTW.

Wish this aspect of our culture was different? Start changing it!

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:08 PM   #7
Mod

Send a message via MSN to aliz

yes yes yes take a gap year!! i did that last year and i just feel like moving out and coming to uni has been so much easier because of it. i know i have fully explained somewhere on these boards the concept of youth allowance but to explain it quickly, the australian government will give students an allowance for the whole time they are studying if they take a year off and earn a certain amount of money. so thats why so many aussie students take a gap year, and I think this should be done in other countries too! so many people at my uni have no idea how to live in the real world cause they only just finished school last year and they still live at home!
Old 09-27-2007, 12:17 AM   #8
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to micdans

This has been on my mind recetnly as well. Being a senior in college, with those around me scrambling for jobs, interviews etc. gets me a bit more stressed about my post-college decisions as well.
I think going abroad for an entended period would be splendid but I've decided that no matter what I'm going to be back in Minnesota with whatever I'm doing (for a while at least). So I think my travels will have to be shorter than I would like (maybe way shorter if I get a "professional" job).
We will see.

I agree fully with you too marc about traveling even after 20 somethings. I could see it getting difficult if there are children along tho...
micdans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:24 AM   #9
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to micdans

O, I also forgot to mention it makes it more difficult to travel right away when I have monster loans out...
micdans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:35 AM   #10
An Optimistic Realist.

Send a message via AIM to Sijuki Send a message via MSN to Sijuki Send a message via Yahoo to Sijuki

This is one of those things I wish I would have done when I graduated from High School. Unfortunately for me, T-punk wasn't here in (19)98 and I was almost completely blind to the world of backpacking. So with my lack of knowledge and the push to start college, I went to college, which turned out to be a big waste of 4 years.

So, definitely, if you are looking to explore a little or try something a little off the beaten path, surely do it. It will probably be the best thing you can do.

Here I am 27, and finally left my home state. While I have only been here 2 days, and it is only Nevada, it feels so awesome to experience something different.

Best of luck

2009-2014: February - Mexico (Cancun x 3, Cozumel x 1, Mazatlan x 2

2014 : Europe: Norway, Denmark, Hungary, Czech Rep, Germany, France, England

2015 : US:Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Joshua Tree NP, Salton Sea, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore. 20 states. Europe: Stockholm, Barcelona, Madrid, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw, Ireland (month driving around), Northern Ireland, Edinburgh.

2017 : Dublin, South Africa, Grand Cayman (planned)

Need a Railpass for that Trip to Europe?
Or Maybe a Hostel Reservation?
Frog Creek Brewing -- Upcoming Microbrewery

Sijuki@gmail.com
Sijuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:31 AM   #11
The " ... " queen of TP!

OMG this just makes me soooo much more excited to go to South Africa....I'm bubbling.... and it's 3 1/2 months away

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote