Argentina!! - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > South America
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

South America Bossa Nova, the Amazon rain forest, Machu-Pichu, Incas, Grazie Jiu-Jitsu, salsa dancing, exotic women...

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 04-05-2009, 07:26 PM   #1
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via MSN to mooloo
Talking Argentina!!

So... Just when I thought I was doomed to have a boring year travel wise STA travel sent me an e-mail saying they had (holey crap!) cheap fares to Santiago, Rio & Buenos Aires ($920NZD return!!! - usually around $2000-$3000)

So long as both the boy & I can get the time off work (Which I am quietly confident will happen), and the fares don’t disappear on me in the next week it looks like we will be going to Argentina for 3 weeks in September! I finally finish my degree in July so I have decided it will be my graduation present!

Flying into & out of BA the only thing I know for certain we want to do is to see the Iguazu Falls (I’m aware this is a 20hour bus ride from BA – so am thinking either get an overnight bus or spend a couple of days getting there stopping at some places on the way). So with 3 weeks and no flights where do you suggest we spend our time? Keeping in mind that when we get near Iguazu we will be near the border of Brazil, Uruguay & Paraguay so anywhere in those countries that isn’t too far to travel will also be considered.

I really hope this doesn’t fall through as it should be a great trip!

Any tips or suggestions will be greatly appreciated! (Hopefully Florencia reads this & can give some tips for BA…!)

Thanks guys!
Amanda J

Explore, Dream, Discover." Mark Twain

---------------------------------------------------------------
My World Travelogue - Bloggity Blog
Updated April 2010!
--------------------------------------------------
Soon
NZ or OZ
Saving for a year - 18 months for a decent trip

Soonest
Trying my hand at short walks/tramps in NZ
NZ or OZ Travel
Passport Stamps; Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Thailand, Cambodia, Singapore, Vietnam

Last edited by mooloo; 04-05-2009 at 07:42 PM.
mooloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:59 PM   #2
TPunk Recognized

holy crap thats awesome amanda. so jealous. no suggestions, just excited for you.
The Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:16 PM   #3
The " ... " queen of TP!

^ Ditto. have fun!!

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:59 AM   #4
TPunk Emeritus

Florencia told me there are lots of cheap flights from BA to the Falls. Check into them, or have her look if you're having trouble. And don't forget Patagonia -- if you have 3 weeks, you could easily get down there!

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:55 PM   #5
TPunk Moderator

Thanks guys, so its pretty much confirmed now just have to put some $$ on my visa today so I can book tomorrow.

Yea with the three weeks I wasn't sure if we would do something like BA > Igauzu via Uruguay & possibly a couple of places in the very south of brazil or do BA > Igauzu (Flight) then head down to Patagonia.

I have no doubt that we will be back in the area as I want to do Chile at some point so we might concentrate on a smaller area this time possibly?

Updated April 2010!
Soon
NZ or OZ

Soonest
NZ or OZ Travel
Passport Stamps; Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Thailand, Cambodia, Singapore, Vietnam
Old 04-16-2009, 02:10 AM   #6
TPunk Moderator

OK so its confirmed - I just booked out Tickets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so excited, now I have to sit down and think about where we can go, I don't want the trip to be too rushed since we have both never flown further than OZ i'm not sure how much jet lag will affect us so I am thinking of spending a few days in Buenos Aires at the start and a couple of days before we leave (The Incredibly cheap flights were only in & out of Bs As) - We also have a 4 hour stop over in Santiago which i'm assuming won't be long enough to even think about leaving the airport?

So now I have 4 months to learn a bit of spanish (Which I know pretty much nothing!!), although I did do french throughout highschool so hopefully some of it is similar enough that it will make it easier for me to learn!

Updated April 2010!
Soon
NZ or OZ

Soonest
NZ or OZ Travel
Old 04-16-2009, 09:14 PM   #7
T-PUNK PRIVATE

Hey!!
So I am by no means an expert but I ended up spending a little over a month in Argentina at the beginning of this year. I also landed in B.A. and headed north to Iguazu falls... It's a long bus ride but if you do it overnight its definitely not so bad (get a comma bus, the seats recline into a bed!). I didn't go into Brazil even though its so close, mostly because I needed a tourist visa that cost $130 and didn't really have time to travel there much. From Puerto Iguazu I headed west to Salta and from there you can basically travel south passing through most of Argentina's major cities... Cordoba, Mendoza, Bariloche, etc.
The only thing you may want to look into is that I think its now off season for Patagonia... most of the trails are still open (I know that some of them are also closed) but the weather isn't very nice right now for trekking.
You are going to have a great time and I am so jealous of you!!!
Canadianwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:40 PM   #8
TPunk Moderator

Just wondering if you had any reccomendations for companies to do the trip to Iguazu with?

Any tips for BA would be welcomed as well! What area to stay in, things to see & do etc?

What do you think about taking Peso/USD - I was thinking a bit of USD but mainly PESO but i'm not sure if thats the best way to go or not, the exchange rate is definately better for Peso but maybe it averages out anyway?

Updated April 2010!
Soon
NZ or OZ

Soonest
NZ or OZ Travel