www.perutouristinformation.com - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > South America
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

South America Bossa Nova, the Amazon rain forest, Machu-Pichu, Incas, Grazie Jiu-Jitsu, salsa dancing, exotic women...

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 11-04-2007, 07:49 AM   #21
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Send a message via AIM to juliagulia Send a message via MSN to juliagulia

Yeah, I read the title and thought... whoa Spammy spam spam and there're multiple responses?

I'm amazing by things like that, as well. I don't remember what this thing was called, but it looked like a beehive... it was right near Mycenae. And then Mycenae itself! Ahhh, I miss it

Living In: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Next up!

Poland (February!)
juliagulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:07 PM   #22
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliagulia View Post
I'm amazing by things like that, as well. I don't remember what this thing was called, but it looked like a beehive... it was right near Mycenae. And then Mycenae itself! Ahhh, I miss it
These perhaps?

Quote:
the enigmatic chullpas, which were built by the Collas, an Aymara speaking tribe that dominated the Titicaca region before the Incas
Apparently, Peru is full of ancient culture.
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:25 PM   #23
Tpunk Senior Moderators

No, this was in Greece... Mmm, I'm going to google it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beehive_tomb

The picture doesn't really show it unless you click it and see the man at the entrance, but this thing was HUGE.

http://www.vgreece.com/index.php?ent...y061018-191233

Okay, I'm done talking about Greece in a Peru thread :-P

Next up!

Poland (February!)
Old 11-13-2007, 10:25 PM   #24
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to TheWills

lol
well I just did macchu picchu and peru like 4 weeks ago and it was friggin awesome, so I guess Ill have to sit that MP meet up group trip thing out! Sorry

To the guy who said something about working under the table......man not in Peru, 2 reasons
1. Hardly worth your time, I met a guy who worked in Boliva which is worse off then Peru he was in the Hostel bar which is a great posting for that country I think he was American buy the way, and he got free stay (on a 5 dollar a night hostel) and payed 50 bolivianos a night...like 10 dollars. Peru is gonna be close to the same.
2. Lots of Peruvians have a hard time finding work, so dont take a job a peruvian who needs it can have. The only thing I would say is maybe in Lima teach some English or maybe there find a little work down in Miraflores, but not anywhere else!

Anyways Peru was fookin awesome, except for the altitude sickness that shits real it happens and it sucks. Enjoy
TheWills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:46 PM   #25
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Question

Speaking of huge, ancient, intricately-fitted stonework...there's also Baalbek in Lebanon (see ).

Still, it's a mystery how they built monuments with such ginormous stones? But these structures are found all over the ancient world!

HOW? We are missing something BIG here...
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:40 PM   #26
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyd View Post
Speaking of huge, ancient, intricately-fitted stonework...there's also Baalbek in Lebanon (see ).

Still, it's a mystery how they built monuments with such ginormous stones? But these structures are found all over the ancient world!

HOW? We are missing something BIG here...

Voyd, you never cease to amaze me with your theories and whatnot.

Next up!

Poland (February!)
Old 12-18-2007, 10:12 AM   #27
TPunk Emeritus

Ancient man was NOT dumb. He was very, very clever. Plus, he looked at things in a long view, not like our modern, "Can we get it done before the next election?" worldview...

Ramses II ruled for 76 years, dying in his nineties. That's a lot of time to plan projects and work on them patiently and steadily...

worldwidemike (almost went to Baalbek when I was in Syria, but there was too much darned stuff in Syria I wanted to see first...!)
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:01 PM   #28

Send a message via AIM to glitterhairdye

Anyone know how it is being vegetarian is in Peru??? I'm going there for 1 week in a month or so for a missionary trip. and we're staying in a village and I don't want to be insulting but I cant eat meat.... Any suggestions?
"I set out alone, finding no companion to cheer the way with friendly intercourse, and no party of travellers with whom to associate myself. Swayed by an overmastering impulse within me, and a long-cherished desire to visit those glorious sanctuaries, I resolved to quit all my friends and tear myself away from my home."
---Ibn Battuta, CE 1325
glitterhairdye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:41 PM   #29
Rabidly Xenophilic

Thats probably not a huge problem, they eat a ton of potatoes there (Peru is where potatoes originated and they grow a lot of varieties) as well as other vegetables, and they eat lots of fruit. Especially bananas and oranges. Also look for egg or cheese empanadas if you eat dairy.

At the cheap restaurants I went to it was also common to get a small salad with a meal too, although you do risk getting sick as you wont be used to the water used to wash the lettuce. Ask your doctor for a prescription for Xifaxan (travelers diarrhea medicine) if you're worried. I thankfully didn't need it when I was down there but I heard from others that it works really fast!

Anyway, you may have to make some special requests but it shouldn't be a big deal.

Last edited by maracle; 02-02-2008 at 05:27 PM.
maracle is offline   Reply With Quote