Albania, Macedonia, Moldova, Transdniestr, Ukraine - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Europe: Eastern
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Europe: Eastern From Russia to Croatia, the Danube, Iron Curtain era vestiges, Pilzner beer, Czech it out!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 07-28-2006, 09:00 AM   #21
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by ajb3000@Jul 28 2006, 02:58 PM

Getting my train ticket from there to Kiev was a mission.* When I went to the train station 3 days before I wanted to leave they said there were no tickets for 9 days!* I was slightly baffled as there are 15 trains a day, but it seems the entire soviet union go to Odessa for their holidays.* Fortunately I managed to get one though by going back with a Russian speaker; locals buy tickets from a different office and they had a couple left for the day I wanted.

Now I'm in Kiev and tried to buy my ticket to Krakow for my flight home on the 3rd but they had nothing until the 5th, and that was in the office for the locals!* I've managed to bag a seat to Warsaw on the 1st though, so I'm hoping I'll have no problems getting a last minute ticket from there to Krakow or I could be in trouble.
[snapback]132762[/snapback]
Wow, some things never change - sounds like my attempt to get in and out of the country 15 years ago. I was staying with a Ukrainian couple, and went to the "local" ticket office too, trying to get a ticket to Budapest. There was nothing for three weeks, and my visa ran out in less time than that (and this was back in the USSR day, so I didn't want to risk that!), so I ended up getting a ticket to Prague instead.

You should have no trouble getting between Warsaw and Krakow with two days to play with. If you can't get a train (which shouldn't be a problem), there are buses. It takes about 4 hours, and isn't comfy, but you'll get there. Eurolines and Ecolines are big name brand buses, but there will be local buses as well that cost less, are far less comfy and will give you some excellent end-of-trip stories!

tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 12:48 PM   #22
Esterina
french touch

I haven't posted in a while AJ, but I've been reading all of your updates. You're doing such an amazing trip ! It's awesome ! And it just sounds like Eastern Europe. Strange and magical things happen there, on solo trip.

You're doing what I was supposed to do 2 years ago, and had to be cancelled and postponed for years... To read your stories is almost painful... but I'm very happy for you !

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 12:49 PM   #23
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

Wow...Odessa -- sounds great! There is definitely something special when you meet up with a group of solo travelers and begin to swap stories. Makes you feel like you've finally found people on your own particular "wavelength"...

Good luck on the trains!

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 01:11 PM   #24
beergal
TPunk Emeritus

i cannot wait for these pictures....good work this has been a great travellers story and im sure you are going to be able to give some great tips to our members

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 02:40 PM   #25
ajb3000
TPunk Recognized

And I'm home...

I got to Warsaw and planned on spending the day sightseeing but the fact it was raining and the fact I had next to no sleep on the 18-hour train journey there meant I couldn't be bothered and got a train straight to Krakow.

I spent 2 nights in Krakow and just partied for both of them doing no sightseeing at all. The town looked very nice and I definitely want to go back and see it properly, but this time I just wanted to enjoy my last 2 days on the road in style, and it was a very good end to an incredible journey that I will never forget.

For now though, I need to find a job to start paying off my overdraft. Oh, and plan my next trip!
Where I've been: Albania, Australia, Belguim, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Colombia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Jordan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovenia, Somaliland, Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Thailand, Transnistria, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Ukraine, Uruguay Uzbekistan, Vatican City, Vietnam, Yemen

Where I'm going: Cyprus (June 2013)
ajb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 12:41 PM   #26
ajb3000
TPunk Recognized

I know it's taken me 6 weeks but I've finally uploaded the photos from my trip!

Check them out here.
Where I've been: Albania, Australia, Belguim, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Colombia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Jordan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovenia, Somaliland, Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Thailand, Transnistria, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Ukraine, Uruguay Uzbekistan, Vatican City, Vietnam, Yemen

Old 09-17-2006, 02:52 AM   #27
chelseafc05
Members

Send a message via MSN to chelseafc05

sounds like ya had a good time mon ima kinda pissed off i never got to some of those places.. ah well always next time
nice pics aswell

Where ive been: Cộng Hòa Xã Hội Chủ Nghĩa Việt , Preăh Réachéanachâkr Kâmpŭchea, Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Česká republika, Slovenská republika, Magyar Köztársaság, Republika Slovenija, Republika Hrvatska, Bosna i Hercegovina, Republika Srbija, Republika Balgariya, Türkiye Cumhuriyeti, România, Rzeczpospolita Polska, Lietuvos Respublika, Latvijas Republika, Eesti Vabariik, Republiken Finland

MY NAME IS
Daniel
chelseafc05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:32 AM   #28
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Nicely done, man.

Better late than never, eh?

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 08:14 AM   #29
Esterina
french touch

Great stuff ! I didn't get to look at everything, I went straight ahead to Albania and Moldova. Could you comment more on the following pictures ?

My questions to this one is, was this built during communism ? And do you know if today it is intended for middle class families, or higher, or lower ?

Is this from a museum, or an actual home in Moldova ?

people are people

Old 09-20-2006, 11:27 AM   #30
ajb3000
TPunk Recognized

The building in the first picture was indeed built during communist times and today it houses the middle class.

The second photo is from a museum, but I got the impression that it's a very good replica of a typical peasants house in the countryside today.

Old 09-21-2006, 05:13 PM   #31
jengt
Hiked the Inca Trail

WOW!! What amazing photos! Thank you so much for all the great info & sharing with us.

Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer (an ad in the Smithsonian)

Travel is the enemy of bigotry.
jengt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 06:04 PM   #32
Esterina
french touch

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ajb3000 @ Sep 20 2006, 02:27 PM) [snapback]140407[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
The building in the first picture was indeed built during communist times and today it houses the middle class.

The second photo is from a museum, but I got the impression that it's a very good replica of a typical peasants house in the countryside today.
[/b]
Thanks !

people are people

Old 10-02-2006, 04:03 PM   #33
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

I looked through all your pics last week, but finally got a chance to reply today. A-W-E-S-O-M-E! I had no idea the Ukraine was colorful and scenic...you've definitely added that one to my list. Of course, you also managed to make me want to go to Moldova, Albania, etc., etc.!

Thanks for the link to the pics. I really enjoyed them!

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote