Here is a list of hostels in the US:
- Denver, CO : the YHA Hostel of the Rocky Mountains is OK. You can stay in a separated house and have a lovely room.
- Moab, UT : The Lazy Lizard International Hostel there is just wonderful. You get a double room for less than US$20 and there is a jacuzzi! the people are weird and friendly. You feel just like at home. And you wake up surrounded by the great mountains there. From this place, it's a quick drive to Arches National Park
- Flagstaff, AZ : Grand Canyon International Hostel is clean, nice, really good and there is free breakfast, quite good too actually. They organise hips of tours to the Grand Canyon.
- Yosemite, CA : HI - Midpines The Yosemite Bug Hostel has a great locations but is a little bit too "commercial" for a hostel. (The kitchen was not heated in winter, or barely, all the more to push you to buy dinner in the restaurant.) The main room is very nice with a fireplace, boardgames, bookson Yosemite and so on.
- San Francisco, CA : Green Tortoise Backpackers Guesthouse is located very centrally. They are cheap and breakfast is included but the main room is falling apart and quite gloomy. Still, it's OK. At the time we stayed, they offered a free tour of the city. It was GREAT. We visited neighbourhood we wouldn't have seen otherwise, like the Castro and the Mission. The bus took us to one side of the Golden Gate bridge and waited for us on the other side, so that we could walk across. This hostel is not in its prime but it is a good cheap option.