Off to the HOLY LAND!!! - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Middle East

Middle East See the Promised Land, the Red Sea, magnificient ruins and mosques, oil-rich metropoles. When you're done with that, go skiing and rock climbing !

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2004, 01:24 PM   #1
TPunk Recognized

So I applied for this trip to go to Israel with an organization called Birthright Israel and they accepted me.........Basically this organization provides free trips for young people of Jewish heritage to go and visit Israel and all of the major historical sites.....They pay for the plane ticket from New York to Tel Aviv, all acommodation expenses in fairly nice hotels, 2 meals a day, and all museum/tour expenses....I am going with a whole group of undergrads from the Unniversity of Central Florida in Orlando.....

I leave on Sunday morning December 12th and get back on Wednesday December 22nd......and all I have to pay for is airfare from Florida to New York, lunches, and any gifts I want to bring home...

I am not a very religious person myself but I am still very interested to see the sites and the birthplace of the major religions of the world.....So anyone who has some Jewish heritage (only my father is Jewish and they are still letting me go), who is 18-26, and has never been to Israel before is eligible for this trip......

I'll take many pictures for everyone to see!!!!!!!!
AdamTheCultured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 01:35 PM   #2
TPunk Emeritus

well take care of yourself as Hamas has started to retaliate with more suicide bombers after Israel tried to assasinate one of its leaders again....not to put a downer on your trip but your much braver than I am going in to a situation like that

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 02:02 PM   #3
TPunk Recognized

I look at it like this.........If I dont go because I am affraid at what might happen then the terrorists automatically win.........
Old 12-10-2004, 02:37 PM   #4
TPunk Emeritus

well if you ask me they are both as bad as eachother!

Old 12-10-2004, 02:49 PM   #5
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Sounds like an awesome opportunity. Have fun, and take lots of pictures!

And violence? Feh, you're still more likely to get hurt driving on the interstate.

But yeah, Beergal, I agree - both sides need to take a chill pill.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 09:14 PM   #6
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

Awesome! Post lots of pics!

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 11:56 AM   #7
BONO'S LOVE SLAVE

That is incredible! I swear, there is so much free stuff out there that we don't even know about. Have an amazing time.

So, um, my grandmother is Jewish and technically then mother is but she wasn't religious growing up? Could this count?!?!

Metro to Ginza shopping district: 160 yen

Watching middle-aged Japanese woman dance to U2: priceless
U2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 05:16 PM   #8
I'll rock your socks off

Quote:
And violence? Feh, you're still more likely to get hurt driving on the interstate.
Hear hear!

I have a friend who was in Jerusalem during Arafat's funeral. Amazing.

They were signing kids up for that same thing here. I thought about sort of faking it to go, I was raised rather jewish although I am christian and white. But I'm going a more legitimate route- gov't money for studying in jordan, taking side trips not sanctioned by my uni into the holy land.

Wow have a great time, take a ton of pics for us!
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom

bellelass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 03:48 AM   #9
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
But I'm going a more legitimate route- gov't money for studying in jordan, taking side trips not sanctioned by my uni into the holy land.
you crack me up!

Old 12-12-2004, 04:00 AM   #10
TPunk Emeritus

Adam, that's awesome. I had a great time in my stay in Israel...some truly amazing sights.

One caution, and perhaps it has NOTHING to do with this organization you're hooked up with. The ultra orthodox Jews in Israel target American Jews coming over for a visit. They give them the hard sell, they play on their emotions and so on. Their goal is to "convert" them from an ordinary, secular Jew into an ultraorthodox one.

It happened to some kid who came over to the kibbutz when I was staying there. He showed up, was kind of naive -- you could tell he'd let a fairly sheltered life. A couple months later, the other kibbutz volunteers were all like, "Where did 'such and such' go? I haven't seen him for a few days." Well, he'd gone to Jerusalem, been spotted and targetted by them, and they took him under their wing. They visited him on the kibbutz a few times, and suddenly, he was gone! Joined an ultraorthodox community. I'll bet his parents were pissed...

Anyway, Adam, I am not saying you are sheltered (can't be -- you'er a Tpunker!) or would be targetted by them or anything, but I would just say being forewarned is a good thing...

Have fun!

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 06:17 AM   #11
TPunk Emeritus

right my fellow tp's lets make a pact if we havent heard off of adam for 3 days we go over to israel and kidnapp hime from any organised sects of religion lol

Old 12-12-2004, 07:53 AM   #12
Members

Quote:
One caution, and perhaps it has NOTHING to do with this organization you're hooked up with. The ultra orthodox Jews in Israel target American Jews coming over for a visit. They give them the hard sell, they play on their emotions and so on. Their goal is to "convert" them from an ordinary, secular Jew into an ultraorthodox one.
That happened to my uncle, he was there at this holocuast museam there and when he left he was really sad and stuff and there were a bunch of orthadox jews standing at the exit trying to convert people. he uncle got really pissed and walked away.

do you have to be religous at all to go? because i'm jewish...sorta, i didn't have a bar mitzvah and only went to hebrew school for 2 years when i was 10...haha they probobly wouldn't accept me
Old 12-12-2004, 10:28 AM   #13
I'll rock your socks off

Quote:
right my fellow tp's lets make a pact if we havent heard off of adam for 3 days we go over to israel and kidnapp hime from any organised sects of religion lol
I'm down. B)
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom

bellelass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 11:01 AM   #14
Minister of Offense

Yeah, I'm in. But can I bring my Iranian passport? That'll make for extreme hilarity at the airport!

Old 12-13-2004, 06:54 PM   #15
TPunk Emeritus

Im sure the Israeli airport officials have great senses of humor.
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 07:23 PM   #16
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
bring my Iranian passport?
you know i got stuck in tunisia for 2 hours while i was quized by immigration for my iranian surname and you thought they would have loved me lol im sure me and omi will cause quite a stir at immigration probably think we are suicide bombers or something......

Old 12-14-2004, 01:56 AM   #17
Minister of Offense

bah, everyone thinks my surname is Italian, anyway

Old 12-14-2004, 11:57 AM   #18
Yoda

Quote:
Originally posted by U2fan@Dec 11 2004, 06:56 PM
So, um, my grandmother is Jewish and technically then mother is but she wasn't religious growing up? Could this count?!?!*
yeah, if your grandma is ethnically jewish, then yes-- you are jewish too. Technically the heritage goes through the mother, not the father. But for the purposes of Adam's trip, because his dad is jewish, they still count that as him being of jewish heritage. As far as the religion itself goes, it wouldn't count-- he would actually have to convert, in a manner of speaking. Odd but true.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:31 AM   #19
TPunk Emeritus

Ah, yes, Israeli airport security. When I flew to Jordan, it was on El Al through Tel Aviv. My friend and I got the "Schenkelberg Treatment," as I call it.

I named it that after a coworker (with that last name) who flew on El Al and was detained by security for so long she missed her flight. And the next day, when she checked in, they put her in a secure room, and came and got her right only right before the plane left. A man stood next to her until just before they closed the aircraft door. I told her it was that German last name...a little revenge.

My own experience wasn't as bad -- we didn't miss our flight, but we did get put in the secure "holding room" till it was time to go...

So, yeah, they'll love your Iranian passport, Omi!

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 01:27 PM   #20
TPunk Recognized

Its so nice to hear all your kind responses.....and concern.........but don't worry because \i am very happy to inform you that I have joined a nice group of fellow Jews and am off to a Jewish settlement bordering the Gaza in order to learn about orthodox faith......BYE FOREVER!!!

.........................No not really................

I am having an amazing time in Israel..........this trip is crazy.....we are doing everything a normal tour would do in like a month in 10 days.......i dont feel scared or affraid of terrorist attacks.......I have tons of photographes already and 6 more days to go.....ITS INSANE every hour there is something extremely breathtaking to photograph.....OH and these Israeli Soldier chicks with machine guns are WAY HOT!!! I'll show you this one chick that was all about me........later and I will inform more when I get back!