New here! - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Introductions and Announcements
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Introductions and Announcements Intro: First time here? "Say hello to my little friend..." Announcements: B-Days, special thanks, congrats, ..."You betta recognize!"

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 02-16-2004, 12:09 PM   #1
Members

Send a message via AIM to yesVirginia

Hey everyone!

My name is Virginia and I just became a member.

I've been spying for a while but I figured why not get in on the fun?

Some stats:
I'm from New York. I've been to China and Germany. And that's how the travel bug started.

I'm planning on going to Scandinavia/Europe in August. Iceland, France, and Italy (to finally meet the other half of my family in Calabria!). It'll be my first solo trip, and I'm a little nervous but can't let that stop me!

So, a few questions for you veterans:
IcelandAir says that their carry-on restrictions are 45" linear. So, should I get a backpack that fits this?
Anyone ever do a day tour in Reykjavik?
Also, I'd like to bring a swiss army knife.. but if I only want to bring a carry on, that's impossible. So, do I risk luggage fiascos and check my pack?
And finally, any unique tips for the girl traveling alone (ones that I won't find anywhere else)?

Anything you want to know about me to make the introduction process less awkward? Just ask.
"Alas," said the mouse, " the world is growing smaller everyday. At the beginning it was so big that I was afraid, I kept running and running, and I was glad when at last I saw walls far away to the right and left, but these long walls have narrowed so quickly that I am in the last chamber already, and there in the corner stands the trap that I must run into." "You only need to change your direction," said the cat, and ate him up.
-Franz Kafka
yesVirginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 12:22 PM   #2
***** Senior *********

Location: WANTED! dead or at a meet-up ..... reward first round on Me
Send a message via Yahoo to Rozza

WOOHOO! I'M FIRST TO GREAT YA TO TRAVELPUNK!!!

Past Trip Albums:
Norway '05 Album

"'Kings. What a good idea.'Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tenedency to bend at the knees."
- Terry Prachett
Rozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 12:24 PM   #3
***** Senior *********

oh rite i forgot,

eh hem....

WELCOME TO TRAVELPUNK YesVirginia!!!

Past Trip Albums:
Norway '05 Album

"'Kings. What a good idea.'Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tenedency to bend at the knees."
- Terry Prachett
Old 02-16-2004, 12:32 PM   #4
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Quote:
Originally posted by yesVirginia@Feb 16 2004, 08:09 PM
I'm from New York. I've been to China and Germany. And that's how the travel bug started.

I'm planning on going to Scandinavia/Europe in August. Iceland, France, and Italy (to finally meet the other half of my family in Calabria!). It'll be my first solo trip, and I'm a little nervous but can't let that stop me!

So, a few questions for you veterans:
IcelandAir says that their carry-on restrictions are 45\" linear. So, should I get a backpack that fits this?
Anyone ever do a day tour in Reykjavik?
Also, I'd like to bring a swiss army knife.. but if I only want to bring a carry on, that's impossible. So, do I risk luggage fiascos and check my pack?
Welcome Virginia!

Interesting travel history. Where all did you go in China and Germany, for how long and what made you pick those 2 countries?

The Scandinavia trip sounds cool, too. I'm actually tentatively considering a Scandinavian or Tibetan/Western China trip this year...maybe.

I do hate checking my pack too, especially internationally. You could always just buy a multi-knife there - they're probably only 12 Euros or so.
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 12:48 PM   #5
***** Senior *********

see voyed, if u carry any thing wit a blade do u put it ur luggage in cargo and not have hand luggage? cause i kno sumone hoo had a 20mm blade used to trim reeds fo the oboe or sumtink like that but cause it was in his hand luggage he couldn't boared the plane, and bein a sailor i kno how useful a pen knife and a piece of string is,

wot to do

Past Trip Albums:
Norway '05 Album

- Terry Prachett
Old 02-16-2004, 12:58 PM   #6
Members

Thank you Rozza and voyd!

Let's see. China and Germany. Those were both semi school related. The Chancellor of Germany decided to round up a few hundred kids (5 from my particular high school) from NYC (because of Sept. 11th) and bring them to Germany, all expenses paid, for two weeks. So I went to Berlin, Munchen, Ulm, Stutgart. It was great. China was a similar set up. An organization came to my school and picked 3 students for an almost all expense paid trip to China. There I went to Beijing, Luoyan, Xian and Inner Mongolia. Both were very group oriented, very touristy, but.. lots of fun, and a great way to begin my love for traveling.

I was very lucky to be chosen for the trips. No one in my family ever really had a passion for traveling, and I never would have had the money to pay for those trips on my own.

So, being not well off at all, I've been saving up and finally, I'll get to travel again and meet the family that I've only heard of in conversation and photos. Both my mother and father moved to New York from Calabria when they were young and I've always wanted to get in touch with my Italian roots.

And voyd, I think you should definitely go to China. It is certainly quite an experience! And if you do go to Scandinavia, maybe I'll see you there!

So where have you guys been? Any great stories? Advice?
"Alas," said the mouse, " the world is growing smaller everyday. At the beginning it was so big that I was afraid, I kept running and running, and I was glad when at last I saw walls far away to the right and left, but these long walls have narrowed so quickly that I am in the last chamber already, and there in the corner stands the trap that I must run into." "You only need to change your direction," said the cat, and ate him up.
-Franz Kafka
Old 02-16-2004, 01:07 PM   #7
***** Senior *********

YOU ARE MY NEW BEST FRIEND!! could u possible tell me about that organisation which did the chinese trip u did,

AND inner mongolia!! WOW! i have all ways wanted to go there since i was a wee nipper, i'm guessing it was quite restricted though cause i heard that the chinese govn. only lets u into inner mongolia if u apply for permission (unless ur a mongolian livin there).

wot was it like?

Past Trip Albums:
Norway '05 Album

- Terry Prachett
Old 02-16-2004, 01:10 PM   #8
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Also, I'd like to bring a swiss army knife.. but if I only want to bring a carry on, that's impossible
If you are going to spend the money on buying a swiss army knife here, then maybe hold off and get one there, cause with the way they are with knives on planes, you might get a full on take down trying to board a plane with that knife...you might have to mail it back.

And to the family!!!!

Canadian Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 01:25 PM   #9
Members

Rozza, you can read all about it here. http://www.globaled.org/chinaproject/China...20Web/index.htm

However the program was for New York High Schoolers..

Inner Mongolia was amazing. We spent one glorious night in a (albeit very commercial) yurt but the experience was fantastic.

Be prepared to eat lots of goat.
-Franz Kafka
Old 02-16-2004, 01:28 PM   #10
TPunk Emeritus

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by yesVirginia@Feb 16 2004, 08:58 PM
China was a similar set up. An organization came to my school and picked 3 students for an almost all expense paid trip to China. There I went to Beijing, Luoyan, Xian and Inner Mongolia.

And voyd, I think you should definitely go to China. It is certainly quite an experience! And if you do go to Scandinavia, maybe I'll see you there!
Wow, all-expense paid trip? You lucky dog!

And I have been to China 3X already, including all the places you mentioned, except inner Mongolia.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:38 PM   #11
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by voyd@Feb 16 2004, 09:28 PM
Wow, all-expense paid trip?* You lucky dog!

And I have been to China 3X already, including all the places you mentioned, except inner Mongolia.
Yeah. I wouldn't have been able to go unless it was all expense paid.

What parts have you been to? Don't you love China? I can see myself settling down there (well, there or Mexico, or Canada, or Africa...). lol
-Franz Kafka
Old 02-17-2004, 04:19 AM   #12
TPunk Emeritus

Hey Virginia,

Do you know where in Calabria? My grandfather on my Dad's side was from Oppido Mamertina (I hope that is right and I'm not confusing it with the village in Sicily his Mom was from).

Welcome to the Boards...wow, two all expense paid trips! I think someone just took WWM's "lucky dog" title...!

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 05:44 AM   #13
Members

Hey WWM!

My father's side is from Amato (sp? Never heard of it.. anyone know anything about it?) in Calabria. And my mother's side is from Catanzaro, Calabria.

It's sad because a lot of travel guides talk harshly of Catanzaro. One even said "the best view of it is through the back window as you're leaving it behind."

Anyone ever been so they could dispell all of the bad rumors?

This'll be my first trip to Italy so I'm really excited.

And thanks for the welcome. This seems like a great place for this gypsy to get in touch with other travelers!

And I'm new, so you're going to have to explain how *you* got your "lucky dog" title.
-Franz Kafka
Old 02-17-2004, 04:39 PM   #14
TPunk Emeritus

hello virginia, welcome to the boards. you should play the lotto with your luck
Old 02-17-2004, 05:02 PM   #15
Members

heh, you know I found five dollar bills spread out on the sidewalk on my way home today and my mom said I should play the lotto with them...

With you saying it as well, maybe it's not such a coincidence.
-Franz Kafka
Old 02-17-2004, 05:12 PM   #16
Weasel Jones

Quote:
Originally posted by yesVirginia@Feb 17 2004, 01:44 PM
And I'm new, so you're going to have to explain how *you* got your "lucky dog" title.*
virginia - please have him pm you the gorey details - i don't want to be sent to bed crying again at the thought of his luck.....
Old 02-17-2004, 10:34 PM   #17

Welcome to the board Virginia. I'm a little late......as always.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:41 AM   #18
TPunk Recognized

Welcome to the boards Virginia! I hope your luck is contagious!
Carisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 10:57 AM   #19
TPunk Emeritus

Hi Virginia,

Good luck on that lotto! You'll certainly be using "lucky money," which is a big concept among some Asian merchants and vendors.

Anyway, someone called me a lucky dog on the boards once because I work for an airline and get "free passes" on international carriers, from time to time. Plus, I can fly standby domestically on most carriers for free, and internationally for very cheap (it's based on mileage, usually, London, for example would be $53 each way).

However, I officially relinquish the lucky dog title to you, Virginia. Not one, but two all expense paid trips to exotic locales makes you quite the fortunate one...

Aw, Joan, don't cry ...worldwidemike will give you a big hug to make it a-l-l better...

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 11:02 AM   #20
TPunk Emeritus

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by yesVirginia@Feb 16 2004, 09:38 PM
What parts have you been to? Don't you love China? I can see myself settling down there (well, there or Mexico, or Canada, or Africa...). lol
I used to have all the places and photos listed on my web site - but it appears to be down now.

Anyways, I've basically been all over from Beijing to Zhuhai to Yunnan Province to Xian. The main regions I have NOT been to yet are Tibet and Xinjiang - both of which are on my list of place to still go. Also, some martial arts meccas like Wudang Shan (I have been to Shaolin Songshan, tho).

Yes, the scenery there is truly breathtaking and the food the best I've ever had in this world (and dirt-cheap too!)! Like I said, I hope to return again, it's just such a big country with soo much to see...