New here but not to the desire to travel - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Introductions and Announcements
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Introductions and Announcements Intro: First time here? "Say hello to my little friend..." Announcements: B-Days, special thanks, congrats, ..."You betta recognize!"

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 09-12-2007, 11:36 PM   #1
Members

Default New here but not to the desire to travel

Hello, This is my first post here. This site looks HUGE to me, hope I can find my way around!! I figured I'd stop in and say hi. I have not traveled much, just to places within the USA (and never farther than one state over!) But have also been to England and Wales (when I was 16). That was the most fun I'd ever had! I learned a lot about myself in those 11 days and came home with refined attitude and a secret love of independent travel (even though I was with a bunch of other people at or exactly a year younger than me for school) Since then I've been plotting (yes plotting) my next Great Adventure! I say plot because I can't tell the rents... They think there's something wrong and terribly messed up in my head because I've expressed interest in traveling alone (NO ONE in their right mind travels alone, foreign people just WAIT for girls traveling alone to rape them and steal their things!). **** em! I don't need a companion to be happy and safe! (If you ACT like a tourist, then of course you'll be treated like one!) So with that said, I am taking the initial steps to having my next Great Adventure very quietly. I plan on backpacking it, camping as much as possible along the way. I plan on being gone for as long as it takes me to walk from the southern most point to the northern most point! Right now I'm about to start college. That's ok, I need to establish a regular income and get all the details straightened out. But anyway, thanks and I hope to post here on a regular basis! Oh, and not to confuse anyone, St. Patrick's Day is my user name though I am very much a girl!
StPatricksday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:44 PM   #2
Admin

Well, you rebel you, welcome to the boards !

Seriously, you'll feel right at home here as there are lots of backpackers here that have traveled solo.

This is the warmest community online...in my humble opinion, of course...
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:50 PM   #3
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

Heyo! Welcome to tpunk! We'd love to help you in your subversive travel plans!
Old 09-13-2007, 02:12 AM   #4
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via MSN to mooloo

Welcome to TPunk!!!

These people are friggen awesome, you'll learn heaps and make some awesome friends!!!

How long until you plan to get ya groove on in the backpacking world?

Explore, Dream, Discover." Mark Twain

---------------------------------------------------------------
My World Travelogue - Bloggity Blog
Updated April 2010!
--------------------------------------------------
Soon
NZ or OZ
Saving for a year - 18 months for a decent trip

Soonest
Trying my hand at short walks/tramps in NZ
NZ or OZ Travel
Passport Stamps; Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Thailand, Cambodia, Singapore, Vietnam
mooloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:33 AM   #5
Mod

Send a message via MSN to aliz

hello! welcome! i may be going mad but did you say where your great adventure will be taking place? I'm hoping you didn't say it, then i wouldn't be going mad. if so, oh well, we all knew it anyway. umm yes welcome!
Old 09-13-2007, 02:43 AM   #6
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Hey there, nice to have you on board! Hope you find everything you're looking for here, I'm sure you will!
Old 09-13-2007, 02:43 AM   #7
lover of Germany

Welcome!!! You'll find your way around no problem!

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 03:28 AM   #8
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

Welcome to the board, your never really alone. Every plane or train I've been on was packed with people.

Since it's been brought up I'd like to tell everyone that the Catholic church has offically moved paddys day to the 15th of march (normally the 17th). Events normally held on the 17th will be going ahead as normal, so basically from now on we'll have two St.Patrick days.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:09 AM   #9
Members

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the welcomes! Japan is the country of choice for this Great Adventure but I think it will be at least a couple of years before I am able to do it.
StPatricksday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:36 AM   #10
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPatricksday View Post
Thanks for all the welcomes! Japan is the country of choice for this Great Adventure but I think it will be at least a couple of years before I am able to do it.
Welcome to the boards!

Japan is a great country to travel in! You'll have a great time!

Don't let people scare you off with how expensive it is. Frequently they were on business and that makes a huge difference. For example, a colleague spent 500 dollars on a train ticket from Kyoto to Hiroshima. I spent less than that for a rail pass. He had a business visa, I had a tourist one

Learning some nihongo (start with Katakana) will help you enormously as the English fluency ranges from pretty good to almost nothing. I did a trip through Tokyo-Kyoto-Hiroshima-Tokyo in May so if you have any questions let me know

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:29 AM   #11
always trippin'

Welcome to the boards and I'm glad you plan to swell the ranks of female solo travelers who know better than to believe that we'll get raped and murdered on the road!

Check out my band!
freespiritz is offline   Reply With Quote