A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MOC!!! - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Introductions and Announcements
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Introductions and Announcements Intro: First time here? "Say hello to my little friend..." Announcements: B-Days, special thanks, congrats, ..."You betta recognize!"

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 05-17-2004, 10:10 AM   #21
***** Senior *********

Location: WANTED! dead or at a meet-up ..... reward first round on Me
Send a message via Yahoo to Rozza

Quote:
Originally posted by Diorama@May 15 2004, 01:10 PM
I can't believe I missed this post! My mocsy turned 25 without me! I surely was going to give her a great lap dance. Babe have a good one. And do me a favour and corrupt some american men while your on your road trip.* *
uuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... ahhhhhh

omg i gotta go bathroom

Past Trip Albums:
Norway '05 Album

"'Kings. What a good idea.'Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tenedency to bend at the knees."
- Terry Prachett
Rozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 11:00 AM   #22
Yoda

Quote:
Originally posted by jw1313@May 15 2004, 07:54 PM
Shit, I'm gonna get a bad reputation <hic>
nah, we've all had our share of drunk posts. Especially Dio! hahahaha!
Old 05-17-2004, 05:06 PM   #23
TPunk Emeritus

Actually, my bd turned out to be a bit boring...I ate spaghetti with meat balls that did not taste like meat, and went to sleep early...I just came back a few hours ago, I'm exhausted and SOOOOOOO happy to be back home...I love travelling, but I must admit there are some things I can't stand and one of them is being around 2 little princesses 24/7!

Thanks to all of you guys! Tony, sorry, my cell phone was dead!
Old 05-17-2004, 06:40 PM   #24
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Mocassin@May 7 2004, 06:33 PM
Altough I was in the US before, I've just discovered lots of things about you unitedstaters...Yup...I must admit that people in some areas have decieved me.
So the title to the Brooklyn Bridge turned out to be bogus?

Seriously, what happened?
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 05:49 PM   #25
TPunk Emeritus

yeah don't worry moc but my birthday was shitty too. I think ppl build it up too much ya know. I was with ppl that didn't even know it was my birthday!

rozza.- just wait until you are legal then you'll get a good birthday gift from me.

sv-ditto babe!
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 01:11 PM   #26
***** Senior *********

Location: WANTED! dead or at a meet-up ..... reward first round on Me
Send a message via Yahoo to Rozza

Past Trip Albums:
Norway '05 Album

"'Kings. What a good idea.'Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tenedency to bend at the knees."
- Terry Prachett
Rozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 09:13 AM   #27
TPunk Emeritus

Voyd...Ok...I'll tell you!

We hear things about people in different countries, and I prefer to see before I judge and make my own opinion...But while in the US, I met some people that were really like that, I mean what people say, and it made me really sad.

I want to tell you, before you read this post, that I don't mean to offend anyone, and that I know most people in the US are not like what I'm about to describe...I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but you asked! Hahahah! If any moderator feels this goes too far, feel free to delete this post...Thank you!

For example, on the roads there are only huge trucks or big Buicks...And I'm sure half of the truck owners don't even need a truck! Out here people tend to buy smaller cars, and it kind of shocked me because we always hear that you drive big polluting cars, which turned out to be true (from what I saw)...

And I've discovered that what I heard about the US resisdents to be very materialistic was too often true...Men usually tried to hook us up by telling us how big their boat was, what kind of car they drive and what a huge house they own...Hahahh! It's like people define themselves by the things they own (a lot more than over here anyways)...When I said I'm a medical student, the first comment I would get was that it was good money! It felt like people work like crazy to get as much money as possible, to buy as much stuff as possible...I felt that out here, quality of life is a bit more important when it comes to choosing your carreer...

And there is the food issue...We always hear that a lot of people are overweight, and that your food is not as good...Well, I did not want to believe it, but it also turned out to be true! The overweight issue was not true everywhere though...Some places people tended to be more fat, and some places not. But yes, being french, I love good tasty food and to take my time to eat a meal...When I was in the US, I found out your coffee is not very strong (compared to ours) and I couldn't drink it! And it felt like the fruits and vegetables, which did look very good, tasted more like water than what they are supposed to taste...And in restaurants, they bring you the check BEFORE you are done eating, which would be considered very impolite over here! We did find a few good restaurants though.

Finally, most people I met didn't even know some people from Canada were french!!!! And I've been asked why we did not go to war with you (with the 'fuck canadians' added to it!)...I felt like a lot of people never get out of their state or country, and don't make an effort to know other cultures and other ways of thinking...I guess this was the worst part for me, because I'm very open-minded to all the cultures, but a lot of people were not like that towards me...

Anyways, I hope you guys can prove me wrong, because I hate to generalize to the entire population those things I've noticed...And I did meet nice people in the US, plus all of you from TP! Hahahahh!
Old 06-01-2004, 09:21 AM   #28
Weasel Jones

everything's better on the west coast anyway.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:17 PM   #29
TPunk Emeritus

I second that Joan!
Old 06-01-2004, 07:17 PM   #30
TPunk Emeritus

hahahah! Well, I drove down the West Coast as well, and it did not seem so bad...
Old 06-02-2004, 10:24 AM   #31
TPunk Emeritus

Well Mocscy,

I think most - if not all - moderators here are very liberal and open-minded and will never delete your posts - !

It's hard to generalize a population, perhaps more so about America than with any other countries simply because of the vastness and social/cultural mix.

I'm sure your view of America will be different if you visited NYC or the likes, and will surely be different if you visited NC/SC/GA/AL etc.

About the restaurant thing - waiters/waitresses in "normal" restaurants are supposed to give you the bill after you've finished or requested for it - but most "diners" might give it to you while you're still eating.....it's probably just a traditional diner thing....

Sure, the large SUV's and trucks annoy me as much as anyone - it's truly an "American" thing for sure...

But you are right; spend a little time in America and there's a good chance you will come across the fat and the ugly as well as the young and the beautiful. And then there's that Redneck mentality of people that's more evident in the deep south; there's also the corporate right-winged, type-A personality, ultra conservatives (urgh..) that you find in the business world - STAY AWAY FROM THEM!!

But you can find your pocket of tranquility in America once you've clicked with the group of people reflects the same ideology/way of thinking...

...most (actually, almost all) of my friends are either:
- naturalists
- artists
- muscisans
- forrestry
- enviromentalists
- radicals
- punks
- beatniks
- potheads
- wierdos
- martial artists
- students
- hippies
- social services

And one more thing - most natural Americans born and educated here have a limited knowledge of geography; so don't feel bad that they don't know much about Quebec/Canada.....

Cheers,
_ retro -
Old 06-03-2004, 02:18 PM   #32
TPunk Emeritus

Retro, that's what I like to think too...I've been to New-York and California, Boston and a few other places in the US, and most people are normal, natural and intelligent people (which is true almost everywhere in the world) . Maybe I just met some wackos?! Hahhaha! It's just that it made me sad to see all those preconcieved ideas come true before my eyes... I guess my idealistic nature was a bit hurt...

Thanks babe!
Old 06-03-2004, 02:57 PM   #33
TPunk Emeritus

All stereotypes have a basis in fact, and unfortunatly Americans do tend to fit the stereotypes that have been put upon us. More materialistic - definitly, especially down here in So Cal. The food is hit or miss, you were probably on a budget and had to stop at crappy places near the road. Its not like in Europe where most everything is tasty. Overweight - of course, consumptiuon is a mentailty here. Ignorant about geography and the outside world - also correct. I can't comprehend the state of darkness some people live in concerning the world outside thier general area or of things that dont directly affect them. But in the US you can still be like this and prosper in a way that would be impossible in other countries I imagine.
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 03:49 PM   #34
TPunk Recognized

Sorry you had some bad experiences here Moc. I second everything retro and som said though, there are goods and bads everywhere...

The US is a bit different than some other countries, such as in Europe, etc... in that it may be a bit harder as a tourist to get a good taste of the good culture... Granted there are touristy sites almost everywhere you go, but unless you in the Canyons, Rockies, or something like that, it's not like being in Italy and being surrounded by Michelangelo's and frescoes; in Greece and being surrounded by the Mediterranean Greek antiquities, or in India or Thailand and being surrounded by ancient temples...

The US is a true tale of the pilgrim's progress... It's a fairly short history... If you're not into Civil History, or, capitalistic consumerism, or nature, the many delightful flavors of American culture, arts, music, etc... are not always in your face... one needs to seek it out, and often, that comes with familiarity, either self- or through connections with locals/friends, etc.

It is a wonderful country! I think that unfortunately any leader, in this case in the Economic sense, is received with very high expectations, and sometimes that may lead to disappointment... But at the end of the day, the US is a land like any other, with mostly honest, well-meaning people trying to survive and be happy along the way... It's just unique...

Next time you come, Moc, leave the 2 princesses behind! and look some of us TPunkers up, and we'll show you a good time!
Carisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 05:47 AM   #35
TPunk Emeritus

Carisia, that sounds almost like a poem...I agree with you, it's the same here, our history young too.

Thanks guys for grabing the meaning of what I was trying to say...Next time, I'll hook up with you instead of the princesses!