Hello - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Introductions and Announcements
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Introductions and Announcements Intro: First time here? "Say hello to my little friend..." Announcements: B-Days, special thanks, congrats, ..."You betta recognize!"

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 06-21-2005, 04:50 AM   #1
Members

Send a message via AIM to Kari Send a message via Yahoo to Kari
Exclamation

Hi everyone! My name is Kari. I am 23 and from Chicago. I am currently an Au Pair in Rome. I have this summer free and plan on traveling through out Europe. If anyone would like to meet up for some drinks or has any advice to give me about traveling I gladly welcome it.... I hate this corny introductions!!!
Kari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 05:52 AM   #2
TPunk Emeritus

welcome to the boards! im sure if you have any questions about travelling through europe someone will be able to help you, it sounds like you have an excellent job and you have the added bonus of living in Rome many of us including me are very jealous

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 07:20 AM   #3
TPunk Camping Addict

Welcome to the boards!
Old 06-21-2005, 07:44 AM   #4
Members

Location: all over for who knows how long... but nyc for the moment
Send a message via Yahoo to darkvelveteyes
hey kari! welcome! lucky you living in roma and having the ability to travel so easily. out of curiousity did you go through an au pair agency or did you just find the family yourself? just for future knowledge, or the near short future, i thought about being an au pair, but am not to sure how it all works on the job, but since working with children is my profession thought it may be a keen way to travel and work in europe.
jejeje. S.

href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">
</a>[/IMG]
darkvelveteyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 08:08 AM   #5
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

Well, I'm no expert on traveling backpack yet and my trip may be in jepordy for the next few months but..

Hello.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:58 PM   #6
Members

Send a message via AIM to SN4p

welcome
Old 06-21-2005, 01:47 PM   #7
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to Tadpole

My brother and I will be in Rome in a week for about 4 days. If you want to meet up for some drinks let me know.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:06 PM   #8
french touch

We will be pleased to answer any specific question of yours. And I think we could also benefit from your experience as an Au Pair. How did you get the job ? For how long are you there ? How many hours a day do you work ? How do you enjoy your days in Rome ? Learning Italian ? Questions, questions...

Oh, and WELCOME !

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 07:15 PM   #9
The " ... " queen of TP!

haha atchoum, I love how the last thing you mention is the welcome Well I'm going to keep w/ the trend & end it here w/ a big fat HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!!!

(you'll soon be addicted....even if you dont want to be hehe...)

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 02:45 AM   #10
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to LostFarmboy

Welcome to the boards Kari!!

Ummmm....what's an UA Pair?? Sounds like some sort of electrical cable, like twisted pair....hmmm...

I'll be in Europe from the 7th of July to the 10th of August, maybe we'll cross paths.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:21 AM   #11
Members

Send a message via AIM to Kari Send a message via Yahoo to Kari

Thanks for the welcome. These are the most friendly boards I have come across and can see how they might become addictive!!!! Another addiction thats all I need....
So my life as an Au Pair or as I like to call it a glorified babysitter. I did nt go through an agency the family just kinda fell in my lap. The family posted the job at my sister in laws work and she forwarded it to me thinking I would be interested in moving to Italy.
It is really an easy job. It is only Alice who is 6 and her mom Laura. I watch Alice about 20 hours a week and have every other weekend guarnteed free because she is with her dad. I also have July and August free because she spends it with her grandparents and her dad.
I am really lucky because the family is really cool... The only downfall is I dont get paid and I think if I went through an agency I would have been able to find a family who along with giving room and board also pays there au pair.
The only draw back is I havent really met anyone so things have been kinda dull.
Tadpole I am definetly up for some drinks!!!
Ok now that you know my au pair story My life is complete and I can end this post and sleep at night!!!!
Kari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 09:04 AM   #12
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to SuDz

Quote:
Originally posted by Kari@Jun 22 2005, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the welcome. These are the most friendly boards I have come across and can see how they might become addictive!!!! Another addiction thats all I need....
So my life as an Au Pair or as I like to call it a glorified babysitter.* I did nt go through an agency the family just kinda fell in my lap. The family posted the job at my sister in laws work and she forwarded it to me thinking I would be interested in moving to Italy.*
It is really an easy job.* It is only Alice who is 6 and her mom Laura. I watch Alice about 20 hours a week and have every other weekend guarnteed free because she is with her dad. I also have July and August free because she spends it with her grandparents and her dad.
I am really lucky because the family is really cool... The only downfall is I dont get paid and I think if I went through an agency I would have been able to find a family who along with giving room and board also pays there au pair.*
The only draw back is I havent really met anyone so things have been kinda dull.*
Tadpole I am definetly up for some drinks!!!
Ok now that you know my au pair story My life is complete and I can end this post and sleep at night!!!!
Well there are always people outthere to meet. Just usually walking around and not really thinking about it I bump into people here and there for a chat. I am sure it will be the same for you eventually.

Glad to hear that the kid is pretty easy to work with, I know some can be a real bear .

Welcome to the boards.

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Rozza > that should be your sig
SuDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 09:14 AM   #13
Backcountry Betty

Send a message via Yahoo to ScarlotteDorian

if you don't get paid, do you just use money that you saved? or are you racking up debt like all of us travelers are?

i'm from chicago as well, or at least i've lived here for the last 6 years/ too bad i'm moving in a week and a half.... we could have organized a meet-up when you are in chicago.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!!

people travel to wonder at the height of the mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long course of rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars; and they pass by themselves without wondering. -St. Augustine
ScarlotteDorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 07:28 AM   #14
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to Tadpole

We will be in Rome on Monday for 4 days. lets us know when and where! and we will party Tpunk style.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:26 PM   #15
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

Welcome!

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 03:02 PM   #16
Members

hey and welcome, tadpole and I are traveling together, it would be great the meet up in rome for a few drinks. just let us know if you will be in the are when we are

Myspace Xanga Facebook
Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote