I've returned! - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Introductions and Announcements
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Introductions and Announcements Intro: First time here? "Say hello to my little friend..." Announcements: B-Days, special thanks, congrats, ..."You betta recognize!"

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 11-22-2007, 04:55 PM   #1
Members

Default I've returned!

So as a few of you might already know, things didn't work out to well for me on the west coast. I kinda dissapeared from the boards for a few weeks there cause i was going through some serious stuff and just didn't really pursue it as much. But yea, I'm back now.

Either way, as for the west coast. It started off with my 4 day train ride out to Seattle. Met up with quite a few t-punks there (beth, hwei, jeanie, anthon). After a week of staying in Seattle, Ricochet and I began our venture south to Oregon. We caught a ride to Medford, OR where we stayed for a few days. Then we caught a ride down to Oakland, CA. A few of my friends from high school were squatting in an abandoned store in Oakland and invited us to stay there for a while. After about 2 weeks of squatting and parties things started to slide downhill quickly. People needed to start leaving the store. We had 8 people living there. We needed to get down to no more than 4. A kid named Nate and Ricochet (my travel partner) decided to head back to Oregon. They were both rather unpleasant in Oakland and wanted to head back to the country side. A kid named Logan went to a commune in the area. And I was stranded in Oakland broke with no ride anywhere and no place to stay. I ended up staying in an empty office building with some other squatters and graffiti artists for a few nights until I realized it was probably best for me to head home.

My mom signed me up for a red-eye flight home and now I'm currently back in Delaware. I'm trying to get back up on my feet right now. My west coast journey took alot out of me, but I learned alot. Mainly how to eat for free and steal food . Now that I'm back home, I just bought a truck to get me around, landed a job at a warehouse for $12/hr, and looking for a cheap room for rent in Philadelphia. I'm thinking I might just hang out and rebuild my bank account and learn to become independent all over again before I plan my next big trip. And now I'll be able to host Philly T-Punk meet-ups!! :D

But yea, thats just my little update since I havent been around lately. I have 9 rolls of film to develop still, so hopefully sometime within the next month (yea, I'm debt to my parents haha) I'll have most of them, if not all uploaded to my photobucket for T-Punk viewing pleasure.

"People who will not use their intelligence are no better than animals who do not have intelligence. Such people are beasts of burden and steaks on the table by choice and consent."
DrGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 08:20 PM   #2
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

Glad to have you back, and tell us how to obtain food for free

I think a sure fire way is to find a Holiday Inn Express during morning hours. You can easily load up real quick and leave...which may fall into that "stealing" category you mentioned

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 03:20 AM   #3
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Welcome back, glad you're getting back on your feet!
Old 11-23-2007, 09:51 AM   #4
Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe7f View Post
Glad to have you back, and tell us how to obtain food for free

I think a sure fire way is to find a Holiday Inn Express during morning hours. You can easily load up real quick and leave...which may fall into that "stealing" category you mentioned

--Joey
theres a few ways to get free food.
1) college dining halls - they usually ask for your student ID, but if you tell them you forget it and left it at your dorm, they'll usually still feed you.
2) whole foods market - its a big health concsious supermarket with mostly organic foods and at least 30 sample stations. 30 samples will fill you up fast.
3) any panera bread - they bag up all of the baked bread from that day that didnt sell and set it out back. free bags of bread that are CLEAN most importantly and not stale.

and yea joe, the hotel thing works. any place with a buffet is fair game as long as they dont charge you at the door. go in, fill your pockets, and leave. just dont look suspicious. make sure you act like you kno what your doing haha.

"People who will not use their intelligence are no better than animals who do not have intelligence. Such people are beasts of burden and steaks on the table by choice and consent."
DrGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:18 AM   #5
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

Awesome I did not know that about Panera (whenever I know I have a long day at school, I'll stop by there and get a wheat baguette for 2 bucks and that lasts me until I get home)

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:25 PM   #6
always trippin'

Hope things are working out! And I'm curious if you got any good pics from our little meetup in Seattle.

Check out my band!
freespiritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:03 AM   #7
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

it was great seeing you - glad you're back home and well!

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:42 AM   #8
TPunk Emeritus

Welcome back to the boards!! Glad things are working out for you again! Tell the parents and everyone I say 'ello.

"If I had a kid I'd f**k it. Then kill it. Then f**k it again." Seattle 2006

blog of travels and such
flickr

Currently located in HAWAII

Been to: Alaska, Bahamas, Canada, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Hawaii, Spain, Switzerland - - also meetups in Chicago, LA, and Seattle
blinkchick2134 is offline   Reply With Quote