Dorm room etiquette, what annoys you most? - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Budget Hostels, Hotels, and Accommodations > Hostel, Hotels, Budget Accomodations: Questions and tips
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Hostel, Hotels, Budget Accomodations: Questions and tips Safety, services and general questions. Is there a camp ground in...

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 05-08-2007, 05:21 PM   #21
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

gotta at least offer the reach-around.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:53 PM   #22
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Quote:
Oh wait, people shagging loudly in the bed next to you without even offering you the courtesy of a reach around is just plain rude
:D

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:07 PM   #23
TPunk Recognized

I'm usually one of the ones coming in at a terrible hour, but even drunk its easy to be respectful. Like most people all you have to do is get things ready before you go out so all you have to do is lay down in your bed when you get back.

I've stayed several places where people get agry that you come in late, but every night they're in bed at 9. Staying in a dorm is give and take, you need to realize its not YOUR room and just have a little respect.

On another note. About a month ago in new york I was staying in a four person dorm with a friend. I got stuck with the worst top bunk..I've never heard a bed so noisy. I couldn't move an inch or it squeeked. It was so bad I would start laughing which probably didn't help. I'm sure people hated me for that...but what can ya do.
Where I've been: Canada, United States, Mexico, Fiji, New Zealand, Australia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Phillipines, Japan, China, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, France, Belgium, Holland, England.
millmuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:41 PM   #24
Members

staying in a hostel in santa monica last year some girls alarm was going off early in the morning, she slept through it and it went off atleast five times before she switched it off. it had woken up everyone else in the dorm.
i got up, had a shower, went downstairs and had breakfast then came back up stairs and she was still asleep.
sirensounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:50 PM   #25
TPunk Recognized

SO here is a good one, I was glad to be woken up...

I was in prague in a hostel of like 30 people. Crazy room, no sleep. About 7 am about 5 guys come in from the bars and clubs. They make all kinds of racket and I have my headphones on. I have been sleeping for a good 4 5 hours but I get up. They start messing with this one kids bunk they were buddies with so I take my headphones off and give it a look. They take out all the wooden slates in the bed and then lay the mattrass down and fold the sheets. About 15 min later, this kid come walking in. About 20 of the 30 of us pretend to be asleep and watch this kid. He messes around with his wallet and then gets ready to jump into bed. Takes a pretty good fall into it, and the matrass falls straight to the floor and he hits his head on the edge. The FUNNIEST thing I have ever seen and 20 people from all over the world start busting up. Great times

cya...lilchappy
lilchappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:53 PM   #26
TPunk Recognized

Oh yea, here is another. I was in rome at a camping site and had to get up early for the bus. But i didnt have an alarm clock. I am worrying about it but ask the chick across my tent. "Hey you mind if I borrow ur alarm clock for the night"...her friend responds by saying, "I dont have one, but my friend does." She starts signing to her and asks her in sign language if I can use here clock. SHE IS DEAF and the alarm clock I get is VIBRATE ONLY. I felt real bad but slept with the alarm clock inside my pillow case. Worked like a charm. THANKS DEAF GIRL!

cya...lilchappy
lilchappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:06 PM   #27
Ohio State's #1 Fan

Send a message via AIM to Brookers13 Send a message via MSN to Brookers13

scott u make me laugh...i miss you

"I wanna be there, I wanna go back down and get high by the sea there, with a tin cup for a chalice, fill it up with good red wine, and ill be chewin' on a honeysuckle vine...." - Jimmy
Brookers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:00 AM   #28

Send a message via AIM to xanthuos Send a message via MSN to xanthuos Send a message via Yahoo to xanthuos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilchappy View Post
SHE IS DEAF and the alarm clock I get is VIBRATE ONLY. I felt real bad but slept with the alarm clock inside my pillow case. Worked like a charm. THANKS DEAF GIRL!
She's probably slept with the alarm clock somewhere other than her pillow case...
Old 05-09-2007, 11:29 AM   #29
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to benna2 Send a message via MSN to benna2 Send a message via Yahoo to benna2

I lived in a hostel once. Good God I didn't get much sleep during that chapeter of my life. But I did definately learn a lot about sharing small spaces with other people! One thing that is a major annoyance is when you spread your mess all over the room. The girls in my dorm really made an effort when they were doing some cleaning or organizing to really keep it on their bed. The rooms with all the beds, packs and people are really just too small to spread this sh*t all over the place. And as suggested in another post, if you have to wake up early, put your stuff together the night before. It saves the hassle of having to do it in the dark and waking everyone up to do it later. But keeping all that stuff in mind, its pretty safe to say that hostels arent going to be the quietest places to stay so you really have to keep an open mind and realize that everyone is not as perfect as you are!!!

Come visit me in the DR!
www.sosuavacationrentals.com
benna2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:27 AM   #30
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

Jesus ye're awful orginised, manys the time I went running out the door of the hostel forgetting my backpack.

Quote:
One thing that is a major annoyance is when you spread your mess all over the room.
The smell must have been awful, I've never heard of a dirty protest in a hostel before. What was wrong with them?
Old 05-13-2007, 10:16 AM   #31
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to Delaney Send a message via MSN to Delaney

I was just at a hostel where I met some people who were talking about sleeping in the common room. I asked why and they said that some guy was laying in his dorm bed, naked, smoking a cigarette. And to top it off I guess he was a snorer.
That would be annoying! Funny story though.

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.
You're on your own.
And you know what you know.
You are the guy who'll decide where to go. - Dr. Suess

Why I'm not on TPunk as much anymore: http://www.kaushallab.cbl.umces.edu/people.html#katie
Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote