strange hostel-isms - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Budget Hostels, Hotels, and Accommodations > Hostel, Hotels, Budget Accomodations: Questions and tips
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Hostel, Hotels, Budget Accomodations: Questions and tips Safety, services and general questions. Is there a camp ground in...

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 03-27-2004, 11:10 AM   #1
Yoda

actually I don't think this is a very common -ism, but it's certainly thrown me for a loop.

I got back to my room yesterday and noticed that there was another guest, okay fine, but he had So. Much. Stuff. Seriously-- I think I counted 4 backpacks, two huge duffel bags and a HUGE lawn garbage bag full of clothes. The guy wasn't there (I just knew it was a guy.) Later he showed up, and turns out he was staying one night while he got out of a friend's apartment and before he moved in to his own place, supposedly today. Sure, whatever. So he goes out on the town pretty late, I mean it was after 12:00am. Then I heard him come in around 4:00am and I looked over, because his bed was sorta next to mine, and whoa-- did he just grow 6 inches worth of dreads and become a whole lot uglier??? WTF? But I didn't really think about it at 4:00am and went back to sleep. Then this morning, I wake up and there is this dude sitting on that bed-- and it's a TOTALLY DIFFERENT GUY but the same luggage is there!!?!? And he's like hey, how ya doin. The swedish dudes and I just sorta looked at each other as if to say WTF??? but they had no idea about anything either. So as I was leaving the hostel this morning I asked the girl at the front desk about it, but she didn't speak english very well. I think she understood what I was saying, and she looked at the name on the register and said (I think) "it's okay, we know who he is. He's fine." or something like that. I don't really give a shit as I'm out of there on an early bus to Brum tomorrow morning, but I still thought it was strange.

Oh, and the British Museum rocks. (Too bad it's like a pirate's nest of stolen goods, though. )
Old 03-27-2004, 08:42 PM   #2
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Oh, and the British Museum rocks. (Too bad it's like a pirate's nest of stolen goods, though.
ha ha isn't that the truth. creepy stuff about the "mystery hosteller"!

crio
Old 03-27-2004, 08:45 PM   #3
TPunk Emeritus

OK i have never heard of anything even close to that before...its fucd up she-ite

Canadian Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 08:02 AM   #4
TPunk Emeritus

Maybe its a London thing........last fall a friend of mine checked into a hostel (can't remember the name...which isn't very useful, I know) in London..they only had 1 double left, or a single which was a bit pricier. Well, my friend took the double. So, he goes to the room and it really smells kind of bad. No one else was there but there was a pile of clothes and misc belongings on one of the beds. So, thinking maybe the smell will clear out or something, my buddy drops off his pack and heads out to see some sites. He comes back early evening to find some crazy looking old guy, long stringy gray hair, big beard sitting on the floor of his room ripping apart some kind of food, like chicken or something. Apparently there were several plates of old food under the bed this guy had been using. The guy was literally grunting and making wierd sounds as he was ripping into his food. Needless to say my friend took his pack and went a booked the single room - he was not happy. Oh well, its stuff like that that always makes a good story to tell.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 04:21 PM   #5
Drifter in the making.

I've woken up to find women in beds that used to belong to men the night before.. but it turned out that they had just "hooked up" and the guy had to leave early for something so he left her there HAHA

But also on the topic of Hostel-isms... this guy and I were in London and he was really hot (if you've read my other posts you'll know his name was James) anyways him and I went to his room to have a little makeout session but didn't want to be disturbed so we put a sock on the doorknob (thinking this was international knowledge) anyways... it's like 6pm so not late and the room was empty... we're having our fun... and this chick walks in and was like "Oh I'm sorry" we wern't upset but stopped and kinda waited for her to leave BUT SHE DIDIN'T!! so we're all hot and bothered and she proceded to put on her walkman and read on the bed BELOW US!! So I'm sorry but that's just not cool... it wasn't late and she obviously didn't need to read in the room at that exact moment... this hostel was FULL of lounge space.. and we were left with things to do and NO WHERE to do them... anyways that's my rant. People, if someone needs some private time and you don't HAVE to be in the room.. just give em 5 minutes! PLEASE for my sake.. cause It'd been a long trip and he was very HOT and I didn't get my action.

I will not say that your mulberry-trees are dead, but I am afraid they are not alive.
~ Jane Austen in a Letter (1811-05-31)
MolsonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 05:25 PM   #6
TPunk Recognized

Damn MG! That sounds so frustrating!!!
There's nothing worse then not getting to finish what you started!!!!!
Fedfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 05:53 PM   #7
workin for the man...

Quote:
Originally posted by MolsonGirl@Mar 29 2004, 12:21 AM
I've woken up to find women in beds that used to belong to men the night before.. but it turned out that they had just "hooked up" and the guy had to leave early for something so he left her there HAHA

But also on the topic of Hostel-isms... this guy and I were in London and he was really hot (if you've read my other posts you'll know his name was James) anyways him and I went to his room to have a little makeout session but didn't want to be disturbed so we put a sock on the doorknob (thinking this was international knowledge) anyways... it's like 6pm so not late and the room was empty... we're having our fun... and this chick walks in and was like "Oh I'm sorry" we wern't upset but stopped and kinda waited for her to leave BUT SHE DIDIN'T!!* so we're all hot and bothered and she proceded to put on her walkman and read on the bed BELOW US!!* * So I'm sorry but that's just not cool... it wasn't late and she obviously didn't need to read in the room at that exact moment... this hostel was FULL of lounge space.. and we were left with things to do and NO WHERE to do them... anyways that's my rant. People, if someone needs some private time and you don't HAVE to be in the room.. just give em 5 minutes! PLEASE for my sake.. cause It'd been a long trip and he was very HOT and I didn't get my action.*
i would have continued.... you will never see her agian..... she would get the point to leave eventually.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:17 AM   #8
TPunk Recognized

Yup... MG.

I would have continued too...

Get u some!

Travelpunk - More extreme than your Mum!
Ozpacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 03:36 AM   #9
TPunk Emeritus

I'm with you, Molson Girl. I couldn't have done it with an audience...I do private performances, only!

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 07:36 AM   #10
Members

I would have asked her to join in or if she could hold the camera...
Sharkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 09:50 AM   #11
Yoda

update: I found out the skinny on that weird situation. Turns out that the first guy I had talked to, Mohammed, works at the hostel and was *storing* his stuff in that room; the guy I saw in the morning had actually booked the room for himself and he's a friend of Mohammed's. Mystery solved, but it was weird as hell.