Hostel in New York - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Budget Hostels, Hotels, and Accommodations > Hostel, Hotels, Budget Accomodations: Questions and tips

Hostel, Hotels, Budget Accomodations: Questions and tips Safety, services and general questions. Is there a camp ground in...

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2008, 02:48 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to SGRHewitt Send a message via MSN to SGRHewitt Send a message via Skype™ to SGRHewitt
Default Hostel in New York

Well I've had a placed booked in Uptown New York. Just got an email today saying they're not honoring my price with hostels.com, including the 10% downpayment. Luckily I opted for cancellation protection or whatever.

The hostel is called Highbridge House - Uptown.

Regardless, I am in need of a hostel. The closer to downtown the better, and the less in a room the better. I'm not looking at paying over 50 dollars a night, but if I can find a private or semiprivate for that price, I'll take it.

May 7 - 10(3 nights)

Any help?

July 23 - Sept 13: Back in Europe! Off to Brest, France for a French language course. Schedule is open before August 7 and after August 28, suggestions?
SGRHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:32 PM   #2
TPunk. Recognize.

Good luck with New York bro. Its mad expensive. I know there is the Big Apple Hostel right in the center of the city, Times Square area. It didnt look too appealing when I walked past the other night. I actually couldnt even tell if it was open. Maybe try couchsurfing?
mbo108 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:01 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to xanthuos Send a message via MSN to xanthuos Send a message via Yahoo to xanthuos

I would recommend either Jazz on Lenox or Jazz on the Villa. Neither are downtown, however. They are both located in Harlem. They are inexpensive, clean, and fun. Jazz on Lenox is more of a "party" hostel and Jazz on the Village is quieter. Both have full kitchens. Jazz on Lenox offers a free breakfast until 9 AM in the morning (cereal & such). I don't know if Jazz on the Villa does. I've stayed at Jazz on Lenox countless times in the past year & a half.

Don't let the Harlem location scare you. For starters, New York City is VERY safe (though as with any big city, you should still keep your wits about you). Also, not to sound sexist, but you're a male and have slightly less safety concerns than the average woman. Both hostels are only several blocks from the subway, and that is along Lenox Avenue which has activity at ALL hours of the day & night (so it's not like you're walking alone down a dark street). Jazz on Lenox is at 128th, practically on the corner while Jazz on the Villa is about halfway down the block on 129th. The subway is the 2/3 which runs express during most hours so in 5 stops (maybe 10 minutes), you're at Times Square. Let me know if you decide to book into either one and I can give you more tips regarding the neighborhood they are in.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:03 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to xanthuos Send a message via MSN to xanthuos Send a message via Yahoo to xanthuos

I just realized I didn't post prices. Jazz on Lenox is $19 a night ($21.55 with tax) and Jazz on the Villa is $18 (so about $20 with taxes).
Old 04-28-2008, 06:29 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to SGRHewitt Send a message via MSN to SGRHewitt Send a message via Skype™ to SGRHewitt

I ended up going with 5th Avenue Spot, just north of Central Park.

Should be interesting, it was also dirt cheap. http://www.hostels.com/en/availabili...elNumber.27811

No idea about the neighborhood, but I'm not exactly a small guy. Hopefully that counts for something haha.

July 23 - Sept 13: Back in Europe! Off to Brest, France for a French language course. Schedule is open before August 7 and after August 28, suggestions?
SGRHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:05 AM   #6
The " ... " queen of TP!

I stayed at Jazz in the city which was pretty good. It's like a 30-45 min walk to times square but pretty decent place. Uptown. Really easy to get downtown via subway...rigt there. I reccommend.

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGRHewitt View Post
I ended up going with 5th Avenue Spot, just north of Central Park.

Should be interesting, it was also dirt cheap. http://www.hostels.com/en/availabili...elNumber.27811

No idea about the neighborhood, but I'm not exactly a small guy. Hopefully that counts for something haha.
Andrew - That's in Harlem, several (as in, 2/3) blocks from the hostels I recommended...so if you'd like any information about the neighborhood, PM me.

Clever of them, naming it the 5th Avenue Spot.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_angelic View Post
I stayed at Jazz in the city which was pretty good. It's like a 30-45 min walk to times square but pretty decent place. Uptown. Really easy to get downtown via subway...rigt there. I reccommend.
Laura,
That's where I'll likely be staying now when in NYC since my friend who worked at Jazz on Lenox is now the manager of Jazz on the City. Isn't the rooftop terrace awesome? And Franck is gonna be DJing out there some nights...it's gonna be quite the party.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:19 PM   #9
Artist of Life

The Chelsea Center is straight up decent - I stayed there in spring 2006.

Very lively area - right in the heart of the east village. It's something like $25 a night, can't complain.

http://www.hostelz.com/hostel/17397-Chelsea-Center

I would recommend =)

They close the downstairs section at night, but if someone is snoring if your room, you can always sneak downstairs and sleep on those big comfy couches
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:10 PM   #10
TPunk Emeritus

I stayed at the broadway hostel. It was really good value actually! very clean! They actually change the sheets everyday even if you aren;t checking out that day! no hostel does that! anyways i believe it was $18--bargain
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:18 PM   #11
celebrating jacks b-day!

I stayed here and kinda liked it...

http://www.centralparkhostel.com/
BelfastFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote