Romanian vacations - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Health & Safety
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Health & Safety Health concerns worldwide, scams, and other safety issues. Don't get ripped off! Also post your safety prevention tips!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 06-30-2005, 01:35 AM   #1
Members

In three weeks will be in Romania. So much heard of it. Some people say it's ok, some say it's worse than even some shitholes in Africa. Don't want to judge so I'll see myself very soon. The only question I have whether it's safe or not? Especially for a girl?

Kamilla
The Savvy Traveler Quiz Master
Take a quiz and travel savvy!</span>
Kamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 03:23 PM   #2
french touch

Hi Kamilla ! I am female, spent three weeks alone in Romania, went all around the country, and my conclusion is : where the heck does that bad reputation come from ?

There are problems you may encounter, and for that, read the danger and annoyances section in the Lonely Planet. It tells you everything you need to know, and how to get out of bad situations. But those scams (like pickpockets) are mostly targeted on men.

Trains, this is where you might have problems. Might. Some people are drunk, and trains have closed compartments. So use commun sense if you sense any danger, and change place.

The rest is the same to anywhere on the planet, avoid walking alone at night, look confident, etc.

Beside that, important advise : bring toilet paper for train rides ! You'll soon understand ! And enjoy your time in beautiful Romania !

You can send me a personal message, would you need more answers to your questions.

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 03:29 AM   #3
Members

Thanks a lot for the advice... Of course if you have your head on your shoulders and watch out then you can prevent many unpleasant situations.
But what about gypsies for instance? Is it a problem in Romania as I've been told?

Kamilla
Old 07-06-2005, 08:14 AM   #4
TPunk Emeritus

kamilla please tell your friends that romani people (i.e. gypsies) will only add to the effect of Romani. Im currently doing my dissertation on Romania's rom population and there is a lot of anti discrimination against these people by non rom's, and yet they provide such culture to the country. Tell your friends not to hand out money to loose beggar's and they should be ok. Im really looking forward to going and spending some time in a rom settlement in Cluj

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 11:36 AM   #5
french touch

Beergal, I hope you'll tell us everything about it ! Is it already planned and organised ?

Giving food to rom children begging, to make sure they wouldn't have to give the money to some authority of their settlement, seemed to work well. Begging is a form of organised crime within the Roms, children are forced "to work". Am I right Beergal ?

Most Roms have met were charming. Once it is understood they wouldn't have money or anything else from you, they were no trouble.

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 01:12 AM   #6
TPunk Emeritus

yes from what i have heard they are forced to work because thats the only way to help feed the families. Its absolutely ridiculous the amount of discrimination that takes place against roms all over eastern europe, especially against children. While you hear the horror stories that roms are all lazy, and the majority steal off of you please bear in mind that most dont have the chance to education and cannot gain employment simply because they are rom that is why most roms dont admit to being a rom.

for more info on roms in central europe including romania check out errc website

Im currently planning the trip to cluj now im planning on going out in early feb and doing some ethnographic research it should be very exciting and very humbling.

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 02:09 AM   #7
Members

to discrimination. I hope your research will help those poor rom people, beergirl. But nevertheless if you hear the word gipsy you try to sneak out of danger as soon as possible. If there is such a prejudice so it was based on some kind of events and their behaviour. I'm sure that poor, uneducated and lazy people are everywhere and these features do not depend on nationality. And also there are talented and honest people among roms too. But still... Very soon I'll be able to say for sure if there is so much hassle from them in Romania. I've been told the troubles appear on the train stations mostly. Especially in Bucharest.

Kamilla