poll: what happend to you - Page 3 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Health & Safety
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Health & Safety Health concerns worldwide, scams, and other safety issues. Don't get ripped off! Also post your safety prevention tips!

View Poll Results:
attacked 4 4.08%
robbed 12 12.24%
raped 2 2.04%
harrassed 18 18.37%
nothing happend to me 62 63.27%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 04-06-2006, 03:48 PM   #41
TPunk Recognized

About 4 years ago in Tenerife, my hotel room had been ransacked and anything valuable (consisting of my CD Player, Digital Camera and some CDs) had been taken, fortunately all my documents and spare money was stored in the safe. What's worse, our room was locked when we left and still locked (including all windows) when we got back, meaning it had to be someone working at the hotel. Since then I only take things with me that I can keep in my pockets at all times, I even sleep with my valuables in my sleep sheet. Of course this does mean I can't carry my MP3 player and long transport days can get pretty boring.
Where I've been: Albania, Australia, Belguim, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Colombia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Jordan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovenia, Somaliland, Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Thailand, Transnistria, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Ukraine, Uruguay Uzbekistan, Vatican City, Vietnam, Yemen

Where I'm going: Cyprus (June 2013)
ajb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 11:19 AM   #42
Members

Send a message via AIM to RootBrewskies

i was harassed in a grocery store in paris. couple of guys came up to me, i dont speak french and they took offense to it. i tried to speak spanish and english but nothing happened. it took me about 2 minutes to figure out they werent trying to talk to me to be nice. then things got ugly. it ended with a grocery store display getting knocked over and the security kicking everyone out.

i guess my american good looks were offensive to these people, i was just minding my own business looking for some cereal. ahhhh......stupid french punks.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:03 PM   #43
french touch

Have you noticed that someone clicked "raped" ?

Who ever you are, I hope you are doing well now. And hope it doesn't prevent you from travelling some more.

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 03:10 PM   #44
TPunk Emeritus

One time I was visiting friends in a not so great neighborhood. We were all sitting around chilling when these three guys busted in and started accusing two of my friends, saying that they had seen them whistling and checking out their ladies. They were nuts ‘cause we had all been inside for hours. So two of the guys start beating up my two friends (they were guys too) and the other comes into the living room and pulls a knife out on me and my girlfriends saying he is going to “cut us up” All very freaky. One of my friends had her baby sleeping in the bedroom when it started to cry. I actually believe that baby saved us!! The guy with the knife started freaking out saying I don’t want to hurt a baby! He kept swinging back and forth between apologizing for waking the baby and wanting to “cut us up.” Eventually we convinced him to let us get the baby and put the knife way. He did and then he shook our hands and walked out. What a trip! Even more of a trip is that this all happened in Oklahoma. I lived in Las Vegas for 8 years and never had anything like that happen.

Other than that I've only dealt with harresment from drunks and your occasional begger.

"At the center of your being you have the answer; You know who you are and you know what you want. "
-Lao-tzu

patchouli Lover on myspace

patchouli Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 03:15 PM   #45
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by atchoum@May 17 2006, 07:03 PM

Who ever you are, I hope you are doing well now.* And hope it doesn't prevent you from travelling some more.*
[snapback]121423[/snapback]

atchoum. you really are the sweetest person on here!

"At the center of your being you have the answer; You know who you are and you know what you want. "
-Lao-tzu

Old 07-31-2006, 09:20 AM   #46
Members

Send a message via AIM to DJ_VeeeNoM Send a message via MSN to DJ_VeeeNoM Send a message via Yahoo to DJ_VeeeNoM

It's time for my awsome stories!
I've been harrassed by so many bums and bum-alikes for stokes back in the day but nothing like in Jacksonville, FL. Dude I gave around pack & a half in around 3 blocks! My friend had a similar situation in that city where he got robbed for being a fat mindless showoff! he was in his Mustang and he left his wallet in his Peacoat! (Who wears that in FL????) then they did a little snatch in gas station and Booom! No Wallet, No Money, No Cards & No Gas!

Going back to me I belive I've already wrote about wehn I was robbed so I'm not getting there. I've also been sexually harrassed but that is what I get for being so damn sexy (Damn you sexyness curse!) I've been raped but it was also my fault! I threw a little party and stuff and I made insane mixes so this girl was all over me that night and I was sooooooo totally not into her but I kept on drinking and drinking (I'm sure she placed something on my drink cause I would never do anything below 7 being extra wasted) and she was below 0 on my scale so you can only imagine! I don't know what else I can cover from my trips. Oh yeah Word of advize! when you are in a bar only carry bills that can pay for two drinks cause I gave this barmaid a 100$ and she only gave me a beer, I got my money back and free drinks at the end of the night(that is a different story though), So be happy but warry at all times wah yah! <--Ninja sound I know I know lame!
Old 09-10-2006, 09:21 AM   #47

i've felt safe everywhere i've been. i haven’t been harassed except in trafalgar square in london. it wasn't for money - just some guy going off on a anti-bush/american rant following me around. i didn’t feel threatened.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:44 PM   #48
TPunk Emeritus

I love it when that happens. If they are really annoying about it, I will play devil's advocate even if I agree with them. That expression of rage and disbelief is very satisfying.
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 03:27 PM   #49
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to BigE Send a message via Yahoo to BigE

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(atchoum @ May 17 2006, 08:03 PM) [snapback]121423[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Who ever you are, I hope you are doing well now. And hope it doesn't prevent you from travelling some more.
[/b]
I agree. Rape is truly evil.

Nothing has ever happened to me while traveling. I did get in an argument with a couple of Italian guys at an Irish pub in Rome. I don't remember exactly why, but I think it may have been because the bartender was one of the guys' girlfriend. When I came into the pub, I ordered a pint and lit a cigarette. The bartender just stood there and watched me. Then she switched her cigarettes from Marlboros to Camel Lights when she noticed I was smoking that brand and tried to talk to me in her poor English. She was so cute, happy, and my kind of girl . Her face was about a foot from mine. I never felt a woman so attracted to me. That was when the Italian guys walked in. After our little girly fight, we all forgot about it and I bought the guys a couple of pints of Guinness. A couple of days later, I stopped by the pub to see if the girl was there and she wasn't. I was hoping to invite her for a bottle of wine. Oh well! The story of my life.

"An oppressive government is more to be feared than a tiger, or a beer."
-Confucius

Somewhere in England (maybe) - Spring (TBA)
Israel - Summer (TBA)
BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 08:28 PM   #50
TPunk Emeritus

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BigE @ Sep 10 2006, 05:27 PM) [snapback]139291[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I agree. Rape is truly evil.

Nothing has ever happened to me while traveling. I did get in an argument with a couple of Italian guys at an Irish pub in Rome. I don't remember exactly why, but I think it may have been because the bartender was one of the guys' girlfriend. When I came into the pub, I ordered a pint and lit a cigarette. The bartender just stood there and watched me. Then she switched her cigarettes from Marlboros to Camel Lights when she noticed I was smoking that brand and tried to talk to me in her poor English. She was so cute, happy, and my kind of girl . Her face was about a foot from mine. I never felt a woman so attracted to me. That was when the Italian guys walked in. After our little girly fight, we all forgot about it and I bought the guys a couple of pints of Guinness. A couple of days later, I stopped by the pub to see if the girl was there and she wasn't. I was hoping to invite her for a bottle of wine. Oh well! The story of my life.
[/b]

Ahhh Sweet Love... I love it when things like that happen! Well not the fighting, but when a connection with someone happens like that.... ok sorry enough sapp from me :D

-Lao-tzu

Old 09-11-2006, 11:19 AM   #51
TPunk Recognized

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patchouli Lover @ Sep 10 2006, 11:28 PM) [snapback]139308[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Ahhh Sweet Love... I love it when things like that happen! Well not the fighting, but when a connection with someone happens like that.... ok sorry enough sapp from me :D
[/b]
Yeah, unfortunately, I never saw her again.

-Confucius

Israel - Summer (TBA)
Old 09-11-2006, 03:17 PM   #52
TPunk Emeritus

Yeah, I know what thats like. It never quite works out like it does in the movies does it?
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 05:11 PM   #53
TPunk Emeritus

No it doesn't... which is why movies are so evil :D yet I still watch 'em

-Lao-tzu

Old 09-12-2006, 03:37 AM   #54
TPunk Recognized

Even Forrest Gump got his girl, although she did die.

-Confucius

Israel - Summer (TBA)
Old 11-23-2006, 06:24 PM   #55

I was robbed in Italia. A taxi driver over charged my friends and I by about 30 euros, we each only lost about 10 euros though, so I didn't really care.
justme is offline   Reply With Quote