Avian Bird Flu - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Health & Safety

Health & Safety Health concerns worldwide, scams, and other safety issues. Don't get ripped off! Also post your safety prevention tips!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2006, 02:48 PM   #1
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to Tadpole

As Im sure everyone knows the recent bird flu has spread to europe. While it hasnt affected any people yet in europe, if it makes the switch from bird to human over to humna to human, then travlers will be major league at risk. Airports will shut down, trains will stop and you will literlly be stuck where ever you are. Hostels will be the worst place to be. If you combine the travleing with the typical backapcker hygiene then you could be in trouble.

Alot of people blame the bird flu o media hype. It is defiently hyped up but history isnt. Every 30 or so years a virus forms and turns intoa pandemic. ABotu every 100 years a virus forms and becomes globaly deadly. The last time we had a global virus was in 1918. 30-100 million people died. Its disputed because it happened in a matter of a year or two. The same virus then was a form of the bird flu that made the switch from going from bird to bird over to human to human. If the current bird flu virus does this, then well.. just think if that happened in 1918 with trains being the fastest way to travel what it would do with millions of people traveling daily bewteen hudnreds of countries within hours. Just look at the travelign we do in the matter of weeks.

Every scientist will tell you a virus will break out and cause a pandemic. Will th ecurrent burd flu be the one. Maybe, maybe not. Will it kill millions of people maybe, maybe not. But it will happen and it could be bad. So be aware that the current bird flu is rising in probablity of becomigna human disease than bird one. THe more birds it spreads to the more likely it will make the switch.

So far it has reached all of Europe, Russia, the middle East, AFrica, and Asia. It will msot likely reach AMerica before summer experts say. Mayybe as some as April.

THe world isnt over yet but being that this is a travelign site with many people making trips this summer, be aware that your plans could change very fast when a virus hits. Maybe a back-up plan wouldnt be a bad idea...
Old 02-27-2006, 02:54 AM   #2
TPunk Emeritus

Living in Germany, where birds have already been identified as having the avian flu virus, we have been bombarded with a lot of information about the flu and it's risks.

First of all, it is important to recognize that the virus does represent a serious possible health threat, and people should take appropriate precautions.

However, it is also important not to panic, because this prevents people from behaving rationally (remember how we were all supposed to duct tape plastic sheeting to our windows in the event of a dirty bomb explosion? Keeps the bad stuff out!!! Oh yes, and it also keeps the oxygen out, and we'll all suffocate anyway... )

At the moment, the only human cases of bird flu have developed in people who have had direct contact with infected birds - usually on poultry farms but occasionally in markets, where they have taken home live birds and slaughtered them personally, or children playing with dead birds (either wild or domestic). So, the number one and number two things you can do to avoid the most intense risk of the disease, is 1. avoid live poultry markets (which is not generally a difficult thing for most backpackers in Europe); and 2. avoid touching dead birds (and, as we have, warn your children not to touch dead animals) - again, this is not generally a major sacrifice for travellers. Eating properly cooked chicken is NOT a risk factor because the virus breaks down at high temperatures.

Should you have contact with suspect wildlife, and you begin to feel "flu-like symptoms", report IMMEDIATELY to the nearest medical facility, explain the contact and possibly, anticipate being quarantined for observation. Take personal responsibility for your own health and that of others.

However, until the jump to human to human transmission is made, it is unlikely that there will be any significant upheaval in world trade and travel and it is unlikely that travelers will find themselves marooned overseas. Pay attention to the news while you are away, and be prepared to change your plans and possibly head home early if scientific evidence seems to be pointing in the direction of a serious human illness. But in the meantime, recognize that scientists and governments have a very strong motivation to avoid a catastrophe like that of the 1918 epidemic and will be very proactive in getting information out as soon as possible in the hopes of averting such a disaster. Part of the problem in 1918 is that the world was very much occupied with the war and it's aftermath, and word of the spread and extent of the disease was hampered by poor communications and slow transportation. Don't you think in this internet age, the whole world will be aware pretty much instantaneously of that kind of threat, and will therefore be able to respond much more quickly?

Incidentally, wild birds in North America have already been identified as having the virus, so by the end of this spring migration, we can probably reasonably expect it to have a worldwide presence. NO ONE IS SAFE! WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE! THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!

So please, be safe, but be rational!

tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:31 AM   #3
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Thumbs up

^ Good post. Yea, the key is if it mutates to become transmissible between humans or not.

Also, I guess there is not much danger in eating cooked poultry? Just handling live or uncooked dead fowl?
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 08:28 AM   #4
TPunk Emeritus

Yes, all the health authorities I've heard have been unequivocal - heat kills the virus so as long as you thoroughly cook poultry before eating it, you cannot get exposure to the virus that way. Just limit your contact with live or uncooked diseased fowl. Personally, that's not a big sacrifice to my way of life...
Old 02-27-2006, 10:00 AM   #5
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

Quote:
The last time we had a global virus was in 1918. 30-100 million people died.
During WW1, was it the bullet in the head virus? I've never heard of a 1918 virus??

Old 02-27-2006, 10:47 AM   #6
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Don't you think in this internet age, the whole world will be aware pretty much instantaneously of that kind of threat, and will therefore be able to respond much more quickly?
THats what we would expect. However, when the bird flu was just in Asia, ENgland quarinteed a couple people who were thought to have bird flu and didnt tell anyone until they were realsed with negative results. Smae thing in India right now. The government doesnt want to cause a false alarm but if the allarm needs to be sounded then we wouldnt know right away. Experts say you can have transmit the flu a day before you even know you have it or show any signs of it. When ENlgand quarenteed those people the virus could have spread for 3-4 days without anyone even knowing it was in England, because the governemnt didnt want to start a false alarm.

BLood and even spit can carry the virus from bird to human.

Here is a link to a BBC news about the 1918 virus back in october 2005, when all this was starting up in the media. BBC Bird Flu
Old 02-27-2006, 11:17 AM   #7
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Chicken tartar anyone?

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 02:56 AM   #8
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
During WW1, was it the bullet in the head virus? hunter.gif I've never heard of a 1918 virus??
It is sometimes called the "Spanish flu epidemic", maybe that name is more familiar.

Quote:
Chicken tartar anyone?
Yummy!
Old 03-13-2006, 09:34 AM   #9
TPunk Emeritus

Hey all, just a head's up.

We had a visit from a friend living in Turkey yesterday, and he passed along this tidbit. When they arrived in Frankfurt, all the passengers coming from points east (Asia, Turkey, Bulgaria, etc etc.) were shunted into a separate baggage claim area and after they picked up their bags the airport authorities screened every single passenger for avian flu. They went through almost every passenger's bags, probably looking for contraband, while they were at it. There were flights from China and Japan arriving at the same time as his, so it took him three hours to get through baggage claim at Frankfurt. Just a head's up, and it probably is not an issue for people coming from western Europe or north America, but if you're flying into Germany from points east, best be prepared for a delay at the airport.

Old 03-13-2006, 04:14 PM   #10
TPunk Recognized

Has anyone heard if this is the same story with train travel? I will be in Eastern Europe in the Fall, but will have to return to Western Europe at some point to catch a plane home.

mowark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 11:56 PM   #11
TPunk Emeritus

If you're really worried, I'd aim to re-enter Germany through Poland (don't think they've had any cases yet) or through Scandinavia, but logistically, I think the only way they could do it is at the border when they check the passports, so at worst, you'd have a delay sitting in your compartment (which is possible anyway at borders).

Old 04-06-2006, 02:51 PM   #12
TPunk Recognized

Its in Britian now. Here is a list of countirs with the bird flu.

AUSTRIA,
ALBANIA,
BRITAIN,
BULGARIA,
CROATIA,
CZECH REPUBLIC,
DENMARK,
GREECE,
NETHERLANDS,
POLAND,
ROMANIA,
RUSSIA,
SERBIA,
SLOVAKIA,
SWITZERLAND,
TURKEY,
UKRAINE
Old 04-06-2006, 04:02 PM   #13
I'll rock your socks off

Is that just european countires more or less? Dont forget china (where it started) and Egypt which has something around ten confirmed deaths.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom

bellelass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 04:09 PM   #14
Members

Send a message via AIM to nemesis331

chalk up germany too!

basically everywhere i'm planning to go this summer is gonna have it.

Old 04-06-2006, 04:13 PM   #15
I'll rock your socks off

I kind of view it in the same light I view terrorism (or stalkers, or crime, or anything scary)- its out there, it could happen, but I'll be damned if I'm going to let fear rule how I live my life.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom

bellelass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 04:17 PM   #16
TPunk Recognized

Yeh that list was just part of EU. It was includign Turkey, Iraq and the countless others.

Its defintaly not something to freak out over but it is something to be aware. Like any natural disaster, you just need to be ready to react when the situation occurs.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:27 PM   #17
***** Senior *********

Location: WANTED! dead or at a meet-up ..... reward first round on Me
Send a message via Yahoo to Rozza

with only 100 deaths world wide, i wouldn't worry just yet. not unless your a pheasent 'plucker'

Past Trip Albums:
Norway '05 Album

"'Kings. What a good idea.'Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tenedency to bend at the knees."
- Terry Prachett
Rozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 06:27 PM   #18
The " ... " queen of TP!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rozza@Apr 6 2006, 05:27 PM
with only 100 deaths world wide, i wouldn't worry just yet. not unless your a pheasent 'plucker'
[snapback]110972[/snapback]
well there goes my future career!!!

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 11:33 AM   #19
TPunk Emeritus

Keep in mind that between China and Southeast Asia, there have been less than a hundred confirmed deaths. This is a region of the world that has several billion people and in which people live close together and do not always live in the most sanitary of conditions. The infection rate in this area with these conditions is such an incredibly miniscule rate as to be almost unmeasurable. Personally, I would be more worried about getting abducted by aliens at this point. The media just loves to have some great scary thing to mak people watch the news. Don't sweat it.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 12:52 PM   #20
Members

Im not bothered about it. It certainly wouldnt stop me going away anywhere.