Official Tpunk Fitness Contest - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Health & Safety

Health & Safety Health concerns worldwide, scams, and other safety issues. Don't get ripped off! Also post your safety prevention tips!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2005, 01:31 PM   #21
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

Agreed. Everyone get your before shots taken!
Old 11-16-2005, 06:21 PM   #22
Backcountry Betty

Send a message via Yahoo to ScarlotteDorian

the 21st!?! but, but thanksgiving is the 24th! i'm going to have to start when i get back. i plan my week of laying around my mom's house eating good home cooking for too long. i just can't give it up. but i will definetly start my program when i come back on 26th. i plan on running 3 times a week and working out at the gym in our apartment complex. i'll also be looking into yoga as well. i won't be adjusting my diet for calorie intake, given the fact that i eat pretty well already, but i will be cutting back on butter, salt and pastries at work (i work at starbucks for those of you that don't know.)

good luck everyone!

people travel to wonder at the height of the mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long course of rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars; and they pass by themselves without wondering. -St. Augustine
ScarlotteDorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 11:29 PM   #23
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

THIS IS TOMORROW!

I hope everyone has taken their before shots!

Let's get FIT!
Old 11-20-2005, 11:44 PM   #24
Members

Send a message via AIM to NashPCH

I got mine! And it's so not pretty But my plan is worked out, healthy food is bought -- healthy food that I can actually stick with this time and look forward to eating!

Let the games begin!
Writer's Collective - Project Forever Writer's Collective

NashPCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 09:16 PM   #25
To Smart For Mensa

Ok So I was telling benna last night about yesterday. Me and a buddy spent an hour re-arranging his grandparents house for them. Then we hit up the Bell and I ate the following
Chipotle Grilled Stuft Burrito
Spicy Chicken Soft Taco
Side of Mashed Potatoes (it was a duallie with KFC)
Crunchwrap Supreme
Soft Taco.

Hmmmmmm sooooo gooooood.

LoL. Needless to say I put an extra couple miles on my bike ride today!
Old 11-22-2005, 09:20 PM   #26
TPunk Emeritus

I did about a 30-min core workout and 20-30 mins assorted cardio (god I love Comcast on demand) - I even tried Erotic Dancing....yeah I'm not so smooth though. That's the most exercise I've done since August. Woo!

Then I ate a 10-in sub with chips...yeah.

"If I had a kid I'd f**k it. Then kill it. Then f**k it again." Seattle 2006

blog of travels and such
flickr

Currently located in HAWAII

Been to: Alaska, Bahamas, Canada, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Hawaii, Spain, Switzerland - - also meetups in Chicago, LA, and Seattle
blinkchick2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 11:00 PM   #27
To Smart For Mensa

I started taking 5-HTP today too at the suggestion of my doctors. They are pretty worried about me and think the brasil trip coupled with the spiritual breakdown messed up my serotonin levels and thus the abnormal weight gain which makes sense since my sleep has also been on the fritz for sometime.

Sooo it should be interesting to see what happens! Increased workouts, decreased appetite equals a hotter (is it possible?) Handsomer Jake!
Old 11-23-2005, 08:42 AM   #28
Members

Send a message via AIM to damnrepoman Send a message via Yahoo to damnrepoman

already posted in the other thread that im in too!
damnrepoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 07:31 PM   #29
Last Departure EYW: 2300

Send a message via AIM to lilwings Send a message via Yahoo to lilwings

Quote:
Originally posted by The Monsignor@Nov 16 2005, 12:01 AM
Yeah, it would probably help to post stuff like goals, your reasons for wanting to change, your plan, progress reports... etc!
[snapback]87538[/snapback]

*looks around for Mons' Master Fitness Badge*

Huh, interesting. Anyone up for the Disney Half Marathon?
Old 12-01-2005, 10:49 PM   #30
To Smart For Mensa

The US Department of Heath has decided to help us tpunks

http://www.smallstep.gov/sm_steps/sm_steps_index.html
Old 12-02-2005, 07:46 PM   #31
Backcountry Betty

Quote:
14. Walk to your place of worship instead of driving.
16. Get a dog and walk it.
50. Take a walk or do desk exercises instead of a cigarette or coffee break.
98. Walk to a co-worker's desk instead of emailing or calling them.
freakin' hilarious!

people travel to wonder at the height of the mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long course of rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars; and they pass by themselves without wondering. -St. Augustine
Old 12-02-2005, 08:10 PM   #32
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to benna2 Send a message via MSN to benna2 Send a message via Yahoo to benna2

So Beth, what kind of dog are you going to get?

Come visit me in the DR!
www.sosuavacationrentals.com
benna2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 08:24 PM   #33
Backcountry Betty

yeah, i like the fact that a wieght loss technique is to first "get a dog"......then walk the formentioned dog.

Old 12-02-2005, 08:26 PM   #34
Backcountry Betty

yeah, so back on the topic of weight loss....i totally had one of those days today. i just feel so uncomfortable with how i look. i HATE these days. it's enough to get me out of the house and running. i hadn't started doing training yet. yes i know, shame on me, but after today....

Old 02-06-2006, 10:31 AM   #35
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to benna2 Send a message via MSN to benna2 Send a message via Yahoo to benna2

After a week and a half of doing very little physical activity, I decided to join a gym. A few Canadian expats told me about a pretty good gym they joined recently for 700pesos a month (about 20 bucks USD) so the price was right and it gives me some motivation to shape up.

I wasn't sure what to expect of a Dominican gym, but I was pleasantly surprised. It has my elliptical machine that I love and spinning and aerobics classes. Everything that makes me a happy girl in a gym.

It's a nice ten minute walk from my apartment so I am very warmed up (hot sun!) once I get there. I'm planning on going about 4 times a week, sometimes I will go more and sometimes less. It's all about just getting in some physical activity everyday. I do a lot of walking and swimming here too.

I signed up for Scuba Diving tomorrow which is pretty tough on the body as well I have heard.

Anyway...I am tired from my work out that I just finished and am off to the pool for a swim.

Come visit me in the DR!
Old 02-06-2006, 11:29 AM   #36
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Sounds like a rough life, Brooke

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:09 PM   #37
TPunk Emeritus

Hey Omi.....You don't even know how rough it is here! I literally have to walk past a row of Dominican hookers every night on the way home from Rocky's (the bar I have become a frequent customer in)

I remember one time listening to a certain talk show host that I had an aquaintanceship with (I don't even think thats a word!) tell me about how she lost 25 lbs in one month. And I thought to myself "well yeah, you aren't taping right now, you can afford a fancy gym membership and a trainer and a chef to make you special food..." Well I don't have a trainer and a chef, but now I have access to a gym. And no real work to keep me from going and really concentrating on it.

So....anyway. Goal is to lose maybe 10-15 lbs by the time I go home and tone up.

Come visit me in the DR!
Old 02-27-2006, 07:44 PM   #38
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to LostFarmboy

So, what ever happened with the fitness contest??
Old 02-27-2006, 08:15 PM   #39
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

I got hungry and ate the winner.

Well, I got started on the whole fitness thing late - took me a while to get back in the swing of things after gaining massive beer & meat pie weight in Oz, followed by more debauchery over xmas and New Year's in Canada.

Since then, I've been hitting the gym regularly and (on weekdays) watching what I eat.

For fitness, I'm mostly following a cool free program called CrossFit that focuses more on functional strength than burning calories or bodybuilding. As you gain strength and build (useful) strength, you burn more calories and shed fat.

I noticed a leaps-and-bounds improvement in my ability and endurance on the slopes, and have added core training (swiss ball, pilates) into the mix and feel even a bit more oomph.

Diet-wise, I still eat some crap on the weekends and drink like a champ, but otherwise have become MUCH more conscious of what I eat. I'm going for more fibers and proteins, getting the "good" carbs and fats. Only whole-grain (or sprouted) breads, brown rice when possible, lean meats, plenty of stuff like avocado, legumes and nuts, and lots and lots of fruit & veg.

The most important thing I've been doing is keeping an exercise and food log. I can look at any day of the week and see what I did at the gym (or park, etc.) and what I ate, what times, etc. and also make note of how I felt - that way I can monitor how I'm doing and see what things are working for me.

It all sounds like too much work, but honestly, other than making sure I get some gym time every day, it's really taken nothing out of my life... Ok, I can't indulge as much food-wise, but I appreciate a good feed a helluva lot more. The results? Besides gained performance, I've lost a lot of fat, have more endurance, sleep better, and am even starting to look a bit more toned - or at least, less of an amorphous blob. Unfortunately, I've only lost maybe 6 lbs in the process but it's getting clearer that I'm replacing fat with lean mass, which is just fine by me.

I don't have a target weight or anything - I found that doesn't work for me. Fitness goal: to feel healthy, perform better in athletic endeavors, and - of course - look good naked!

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 08:36 PM   #40
french touch

Last year, I lost about 20 inches of waist and 40 lbs in one night + 3 weeks... when I had my baby ! I asked to weigh myself at the hospital to please myself after 9 months of seeing my belly swelling up totally out of my control. Felt good.

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote