TPUNK IN-SHAPE CONTEST?? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Health & Safety

Health & Safety Health concerns worldwide, scams, and other safety issues. Don't get ripped off! Also post your safety prevention tips!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2005, 08:29 PM   #1
Members

Send a message via AIM to NashPCH

Hey everyone!

I'll be honest and level with you all -- I'm a decent amount overweight and I hate it -- and it's not exactly healthy, nor beneficial to travel. I love walking and adventure and climbing, but not being in shape just makes things .... blah ....

It is my goal to get in relatively good shape by the time I go to Israel in April, because I understand there to be ALOT of walking around there, but also, I want to be healthy, fit, really for the first time in my life.

SO.....I am proposing that we have a TPUNK WEIGHT LOSS / IN-SHAPE CONTEST!!

Who'd be down .... we could have before and after pics, updates and the like, yeah?!

So whose down, to begin immediately?! Let's do this!
Writer's Collective - Project Forever Writer's Collective

NashPCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:33 PM   #2
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

Yup I am down for it. But how are we going to determine the ultimate winner eh? Since I know I have to lose more weight than say you do.

Know what I mean vern?
Old 11-14-2005, 08:35 PM   #3
BONO'S LOVE SLAVE

What if we're already in shape?

:sexywink:

Metro to Ginza shopping district: 160 yen

Watching middle-aged Japanese woman dance to U2: priceless
U2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:36 PM   #4
Members

Hmmm .... we're all winners????

We could put the before and after pic comparison up to a vote?

We could ..... do that. Anymore ideas?

Old 11-14-2005, 08:37 PM   #5
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to benna2 Send a message via MSN to benna2 Send a message via Yahoo to benna2

I think in a situation like this, when people get to their goals everyone is a winner. It should be less like a "contest" and more like a team effort.

I would like to lose 20 lbs. I'm sure there are people who would only like to lose more than that...or lost only 5 lbs. or gain some muscle...everyone has different fitness goals, so there won't be a clear cut "winner"

See what I'm sayin???

I've been pretty happy with myself lately though. I have lost 15 lbs since August without even trying...

Come visit me in the DR!
www.sosuavacationrentals.com
benna2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:42 PM   #6
TPunk Emeritus

I'm up for it...considering I work for a weight loss company I have an unfair advantage *mawhaha*. Actually I'm too lazy to even do the program I sell...so sad.

"If I had a kid I'd f**k it. Then kill it. Then f**k it again." Seattle 2006

blog of travels and such
flickr

Currently located in HAWAII

Been to: Alaska, Bahamas, Canada, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Hawaii, Spain, Switzerland - - also meetups in Chicago, LA, and Seattle
blinkchick2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:50 PM   #7
workin for the man...

i'm in... i could drop 10lbs, and really if this helps me get in better shape than i will consider it a win for me.

ed
Old 11-14-2005, 08:56 PM   #8
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

Ok ok so this was just posted and it's got a pretty good response so far.

Allright well i started working out last week and cut my food intake in half and I started popping Ripped fuel and some green tea supplements. I currently weigh just shy of 300 pounds. I've gained 60 pounds since returning from brasil last fall. My doctor doesn't understand why and neither do I. My diet and exercise has not changed but whatever. Soooo I've been biking 10 miles a day and working out every other day. My goal is 220-230 with a BMI of 15 or lower.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:00 PM   #9
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by TheJake@Nov 15 2005, 12:56 AM
Ok ok so this was just posted and it's got a pretty good response so far.

Allright well i started working out last week and cut my food intake in half and I started popping Ripped fuel and some green tea supplements. I currently weigh just shy of 300 pounds. I've gained 60 pounds since returning from brasil last fall. My doctor doesn't understand why and neither do I. My diet and exercise has not changed but whatever. Soooo I've been biking 10 miles a day and working out every other day. My goal is 220-230 with a BMI of 15 or lower.
[snapback]87155[/snapback]

You caught some kind of weight gain bug from those Brazilian women...

"If I had a kid I'd f**k it. Then kill it. Then f**k it again." Seattle 2006

blog of travels and such
flickr

Currently located in HAWAII

Been to: Alaska, Bahamas, Canada, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Hawaii, Spain, Switzerland - - also meetups in Chicago, LA, and Seattle
blinkchick2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 09:19 PM   #10
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to LostFarmboy

Yes we are all winners but a friendly comp is always good fun, it's a good way to keep motivated i reckon. Percentage of body weight lost is the fairest way to go about judging i reckon. My money is on Jake, c'mon son, do it for Brazil!!!!! Is this pitting TPunks against each other mighty shallow of me??? <---- I seem to use this guy a lot, he just seems to reflect my state of awareness so accurately.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:24 PM   #11
Members

I was thinking, while in the shower standing fat and naked, that perhaps percentage was the best way to go to ..... sounds fair, right?

Old 11-14-2005, 09:27 PM   #12
TPunk Recognized

I am in, but I'm reversing it (sorry fatties). Last summer I lost 20 pounds in Europe and just got done training for a 1/2 marathon. I am having had some trouble putting it back on.

My goal is to get up to 200 by the time I head back to europe in July '06.

Any objections?

cya...lilchappy
lilchappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 09:39 PM   #13
To Smart For Mensa

None whatsoever. It's a fitness comp! And us tpunks are always a lil backwards anyway.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:47 PM   #14
Members

Yeah .... bulk up bulk down whatev you need to do!

Old 11-14-2005, 11:40 PM   #15
TPunk Recognized

I like this idea, I need to get my shit together too. While I like to say I have just been enjoying the hell out of my life for the last year(which I have), I still need to get back in shape.

The beauty of this world will last
Much longer than its men
No need for man to test this fact
Enjoy the view instead----Me(Part of a longer poem)
ChasinJason1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 11:52 PM   #16
To Smart For Mensa

Yeah you do fatty!
Old 11-15-2005, 12:26 AM   #17
Backcountry Betty

Send a message via Yahoo to ScarlotteDorian

i'm in. i wanna get back down to 130lb. (i'm 145ib currently) not to mention i want to get in better shape for summer '06 since there is so much sweet hiking in these here parts. i kind of just eat whatever i want right now and am starting to get a little belly (and this time it's not from beer...bad sign of getting older).

people travel to wonder at the height of the mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long course of rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars; and they pass by themselves without wondering. -St. Augustine
ScarlotteDorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 12:40 AM   #18
Members

Yep cool this is a great idea, I've still got a bit of a beer gut from my beer fuelled winter. I've been working out at the gym a bit, but the gut just doesn't want to go anywhere. I weigh 85kg (I don't know what that is in your imperialistic pound measurements) but I wouldn't mind getting back down to at least 75kg. I was thinking of going on a bit of a soup diet, has anyone tried one.....?
Old 11-15-2005, 12:48 AM   #19
Don't cut the red wire...

Send a message via MSN to The Monsignor Send a message via Yahoo to The Monsignor

Sounds like a plan... Since the goal of this thing is to provide encouragement and motivation to achieve our individual goals, I figure we pick a start date a bit in the future (to give this idea some time to percolate among the members) We then each take our 'before' shots (something in a simple pair of shorts for guys, or a two-piece for the girls - yes, I know that we're not in fighting form, and all of us would prefer to wear the 'minimizing' outfits, but the purpose here is to «ahem» let it all hang out for accuracy) and hang onto them (I certainly won't be posting my 'before' shot without an 'after' to go with it in my defense)
We set a target date (6 weeks? 8 weeks? 90 days?) and have a thread about what our goal is and what we're doing to get there (keep a good log folks, cause if it works really well, the rest of us are gonna want to know your secret)
After the target date - take the 'after' photos in the same kind of outfit as the 'before' photos, and we can put them in the gallery and get a vote...
(If your 'after' shots aren't up to par, you can always withdraw from the contest - but we'll encourage you to stay in anyhow)

«edit»
I don't necessarily want to use weight as the sole judge, since I'm sitting at about 235 lbs (105kg) and am pretty happy there, I just need to move the weight from my love handles to somewhere more productive (like pecs)

Make war, not love! It's safer!

The Monsignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 12:50 AM   #20
Backcountry Betty

Send a message via Yahoo to ScarlotteDorian

^that sounds like a great idea.

people travel to wonder at the height of the mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long course of rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars; and they pass by themselves without wondering. -St. Augustine
ScarlotteDorian is offline   Reply With Quote