tetnis shots - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!



Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Health & Safety

Health & Safety Health concerns worldwide, scams, and other safety issues. Don't get ripped off! Also post your safety prevention tips!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2006, 03:44 PM   #1
 
KaseyCaye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 44
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to KaseyCaye Send a message via MSN to KaseyCaye
Default

how essentail is it to have a tetnis booster before you travel? I'm not going to the congo or anything, just europe so is it super important?

What I'm a wimp when it comes to needles!!!
__________________



Oh me? I'm a part-time ninja.

Who so ever doesn't die for love is dead meat.

A wise person once said - Pull down your underwear and sieze the day - did you listen?

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life : It goes on.
KaseyCaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 05:44 PM   #2
***** gear guru
 
kingcrazylegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,328
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs
Default

Its totally worth having! Getting it in an emergency situation can be a lot worse.
__________________

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 06:28 PM   #3
T-PUNK VICE ADMIRAL
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA USA
Posts: 1,315
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to foofiter Send a message via MSN to foofiter Send a message via Yahoo to foofiter Send a message via Skype™ to foofiter
Default

Get it. In fact you should get all you can. Shots suck but its better than the alternative....

Just make sure you turn away and close your eyes when they do it and its no sweat. Thats what I do.

Foo

__________________
"To Alcohol! The cause of--and solution to--all life's problems." -- Homer J. Simpson
"I didn't get to where I am today worrying about how I am going to feel in the morning." -- Ron White (Blue Collar Comedy Tour)
"I was born to lose and destined to fail." -- Mike Ness, Social Distortion
"Eat healthy, exercise daily, die anyway" -- My motto
"Everyone I know, goes away, in the end...I will let you down, I will make you hurt..." -- Johnny Cash (NIN Cover of "Hurt")

I am traveling around the world until I find something that makes me want to stop. I am an aspiring photographer and hope to find whatever it is I am looking for...
foofiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 06:35 PM   #4
 
KaseyCaye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 44
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to KaseyCaye Send a message via MSN to KaseyCaye
Default

come on you guys are supposed to say i don't need to get poked at all... what the heck
__________________



Oh me? I'm a part-time ninja.

Who so ever doesn't die for love is dead meat.

A wise person once said - Pull down your underwear and sieze the day - did you listen?

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life : It goes on.
KaseyCaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:41 PM   #5
To Smart For Mensa
 
TheJake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 5,818
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake
Default

i haven't had a shot in ages and I seem to be fine...

But seriously I like the risk of catching something nasty. The stories are always better than the ones where the people didn't end up in a foreign hospital having their arm amputated cause the doctors couldn't understand that your throat hurt....
__________________
Adventure needs to be as much about discovering yourself as it is about discovering the world.
TheJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 11:37 PM   #6
TPunk Emeritus
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,115
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Having visited a few emergency rooms while traveling, I'd highly recommend being up to date on whatever shots are recommended, before you go. I'm not a fan of shots, but I'd rather have a few minutes of discomfort than have to cut my trip short because I'm sick and have to go home, or being sick and miserable staying in an uncomfortable bed. And rusty nails and animal bites are just as common in Europe as they are anywhere else, so the risks are about the same - not great, but still possible.

Facing your fears: what travel's all about.

tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 03:23 PM   #7
TPunk Emeritus
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Indefinite.
Posts: 2,874
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to bluepea
Default

I'm all for tetanus shots. One barefoot drunken walk through woods getting your foot tangled in very old rusty barbed wire fence will do that to you. After my foot swelled up, I kept thinking my jaw was locking... I wasted no time getting a needle stuck in me. Then again, I've never really minded needles.
__________________
~~ Jamie ~~
You give me the most gorgeous sleep That I've ever had And when it's really bad I guess it's not that bad




Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 04:57 PM   #8
Assistant to the Manager
 
IDDQD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Posts: 799
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to IDDQD
Default

Yeah i'd get all the essential injections.
Yesterday i got shots for the flu, hep A, hep B, typhoid, and a TB test. My arm is pretty sore today, but its worth it. Expensive though, almost $300 for those.

The doc also gave me an option for an injection to rpevent against some Japanese disease,very rare to get it but if you do theres 70% chance of death and the remaining 30% get brain damage....$400 for that one alone. Debating weather i should go for that or not. You're only at risk if youre in villages and I'll be in Kaohsiung so its not very likely...but damn 100% of bein screwed if you get it.
__________________
It's always funny until someone gets hurt...

....And then it's just hilarious
IDDQD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 12:07 PM   #9
Tpunk Senior Moderators
 
lauren313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Birmingham, England
Posts: 2,266
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I was totally expecting to have to pay for the shots I got recently, but I was pleasantly surprised when it turned out they were free. That was nice!

Anyway, I would get the shot. If anything happens to you, you'll be glad you got it done before you left.
__________________
lauren313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 12:04 AM   #10
Minister of Offense
 
omisan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San Fran Disco
Posts: 6,561
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan
Default

I don't care much about the typical disease shots out there (hep, flu, etc.) unless they seem absolutely necessary, but I think tetanus shots are good no matter where you are in the world. Rust is everywhere
__________________
¿Donde esta Omid? Omi-san wa doko desuka? Ou est Omid? Wo ist Omid?

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply






Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shots for Mexico travel O-Face Health & Safety 3 01-31-2006 12:12 PM
Just got my shots LostFarmboy General Travel Tips and Advice 6 04-14-2005 04:17 PM
Hep shots skorch General Travel Tips and Advice 10 01-04-2005 08:23 AM
Action Shots The Monsignor Travel Photos & Videos! 4 12-24-2004 06:14 AM
shots psypher General Travel Tips and Advice 3 08-21-2004 12:41 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:59 AM.



 

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.2.0

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121