How light can you pack? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 03-04-2010, 03:13 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to spacedog
Default How light can you pack?

Longtime lurker, finally getting around to traveling!

I'm cashing in my vacation time and taking October off to go to the UK & Europe. I'm sure plans will solidify as it gets closer, but I want to travel as light as I possibly can... how light is that?

I have a Chrome citizen messenger bag that's been my constant companion for the past three years, to Scotland and Seattle and San Diego, but I've always traveled with an extra bag for clothing and all. I want to try to forego the extra bag.

What's the least you've packed for a monthlong trip? Have you regretted not packing more?

I'm a girl, but I'm way low maintenance when it comes to grooming. Razor, tweezers, yeah - but blowdryer? No way.
spacedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
TPunk Moderator

What are the dimensions of the bag? You don't wanna go too small! LOL

I traveled for 2 weeks with an approximately 22 x 14 x 9 bag. 45 liters. That's the maximum allowed carry on. I found it was perfect. I'm doing a 3 month trip with a bag with those exact dimensions, plus like a purse for my daily essentials. You don't really need a lot of space. If you have a big bag you'll just find an excuse to keep filling it to the point of misery.

I once met a girl carrying a 35 liter bag. She's my hero. A lot of the time you end up wearing the same outfit for days in a row. Very easy for you to do since you'll be going to the UK during October. Virtually a no sweat zone. If you go for the 35L - 45L volume its totally do able!!!
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:04 PM   #3
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via MSN to mooloo

How did you get around the not being able to carry on liquids in flights Lizz?

Did you just do travel sized shampoo/conditioner etc?

I have a 52L/maybe its a 48L i can't remember and I wouldn't want to go any bigger than that for sure, although i'm really short (158cm? ish) so if your tall i suppose you could get away with a bigger one, but like Lizz said I'd try for something around a 45L or less.

Explore, Dream, Discover." Mark Twain

---------------------------------------------------------------
My World Travelogue - Bloggity Blog
Updated April 2010!
--------------------------------------------------
Soon
NZ or OZ
Saving for a year - 18 months for a decent trip

Soonest
Trying my hand at short walks/tramps in NZ
NZ or OZ Travel
Passport Stamps; Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Thailand, Cambodia, Singapore, Vietnam
mooloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
Tpunk Senior Moderators

I find that I can survive quite happily, with 1 pair of jeans, that I wear on the flight, and then only have to wash once a week... And since it will be Oct, (you wont need shorts), so maybe 2 pairs of lightweight pants and 4 shirts and undergarments... Just like Lizz said, you will go days wearing the same clothes... Shit, here in Nica, I make it my goal when traveling to wear the exact same shirt and shorts for weeks at a time... This is Nica though, so being dirty and smelly doesnt really matter...
But yeah anyway, just take the bare essentials, and if you need anything on the road pick it up, and if when you leave theres no room, ditch some of it, or give it to a homeless person!!....
Traveling light is the best!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy
Old 03-04-2010, 05:50 PM   #5
TPunk Moderator

On my two week trip I was able to use only 3 oz/100 ml each of shampoo, conditioner, face wash, and toothpaste. For any long term trip the strategy would be to use from those 3 oz bottles until I finish flying.

For example, this summer I am going Wilmington, NC - NYC - LHR - Bratislava and when coming home Tel Aviv - London - Dublin - London - NYC - Wilmington, NC. Eight flights, no checked bags, saving maybe $100-120 in luggage fees. I will purchase normal sized bottles once on the continent and from there my trip will be primarily overland. Then when flying home I will use from the 3 oz bottles again. I was surprised how far 3 oz goes!

When I was on my first trip in 07 the was this one shirt I had that like defined the whole trip! I swear I wore it everyday. And this other guy I hung out with for a month, we were staying at the same hostel, everyday he would wake up and put on the same clothes as well. That's how life on the road goes!
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:17 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to xanthuos Send a message via MSN to xanthuos Send a message via Yahoo to xanthuos

Over the years, I've learned to manage on less and less. First it was suitcases, then a large Dana Design backpack...Now, for most of my domestic trips, I take two carry-ons - a bag for clothes and my laptop bag.

On my next overseas trip, I'm hoping to pick up a backpack that is the maximum carry-on size and use that.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:14 AM   #7
Artist of Life

Hmmm it all depends on comfortable you are with being:

-cold
-dirty/smelly OR washing clothes all the time
-consistent wardrobe (lacking variety)

I think if you are OK with these 3 things, then light packing is possible. Usually I pack light if possible, but if I can fit it in -- I'll fit it in
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:06 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to spacedog

Awesome! You've given me confidence. I'd rather be cold than hot, don't mind being dirty, and doing laundry every couple days sounds fine. Plus, with jeans, you only really have to wash em if you spill or sit in something gross. My bag hasn't got any liter info on it... But if 4 shirts & undies + a change of pants is all... I can fit that easy. So cool!
spacedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:11 AM   #9
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to TheWills

I gotta tell ya spacedog that i like packing light, and let me tell you! Jeans can have some serious funk oozing off them even if you dont sit or spill something, just rock them steady for several days and your gonna be opening your senses to some whole new smells
and remeber! underwear front to back then flip them inside out!
TheWills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:37 AM   #10
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

You don't really need a whole lot of stuff. My trips are much shorter now as I only travel around Europe for around two weeks at a time but you save so much time and money just having a carry on.

Once you start taking advantage of cleaning services in the hostel you could get by on 2 changes of clothes. You can't bring shower gel and the like so don't bother just stop in at a supermarket and buy some cheap replacements when you arrive.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:06 PM   #11

Hellooooooooooo
Travel Guide Online
kindlebitsols12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:19 AM   #12
TPunk Moderator

On my virgin trip I brought a 3/4 full 60L pack. I was gone for 6 months and along the way I got rid of and acquired items(mostly clothing) and souvenirs. My next trip is going to be longer, however I will be traveling with a smaller pack(I'm thinking around 45L).
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Marcus Nappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:27 AM   #13
TPunk Emeritus

We travelled by train through central Europe for 6 weeks - two adults and four kids - packed everything, including a full pack of diapers into 1 REI backpack. Carry-on size for 1 month for 1 person? Piece of cake. Because it's UK in the fall, you'll need something warm and waterproof, but you'll be wearing that on the plane and when traveling, so that doesn't need to stuff into the bag. A fleece jacket with a waterproof shell, jeans and sturdy, waterproof walking shoes, and a long-sleeved t-shirt should do you traveling, and then you just need another pair of pants (for laundry day), two more shirts, undies and socks, and something to sleep in. Pick fabrics wisely - cotton takes forever to dry, jeans and cords are bulky to pack. Bamboo socks and undies roll up small and light and dry overnight. Silk sounds decadent, but is warm, quick wash & dry, very light and packs up very small. I'm a big fan of dresses and skirts for travelling instead of pants, too. And take a sarong or other big scarf - you can use it as a shirt, skirt, head covering, shawl, blanket, cushion, pillow, picnic blanket, tent, umbrella, laundry bag... If you lay it flat in your bag and then pack your stuff on top, it hardly takes up any space at all.

Travel size toiletries will keep you going til you get in country when you can buy more. Save the bottles and refill for the trip home. If you take a bar of soap, it doesn't bust the liquids allowance and if you get something bland like Ivory you can use it to wash your cothes, too. Baby shampoo is also good for washing clothes, including wool and silk in cold water.

Being that it's Europe, no one would notice if you forego the razor and tweezers, but there are some things a girl's gotta do...

tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote