Aussie for begginers... - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-25-2011, 06:46 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to theworldismyOYSTER Send a message via Skype™ to theworldismyOYSTER
Default Aussie for begginers...

Hi All!

I've been asked a couple of questions about the lucky country lately, and thought it might be helpful to put all my answers here in the one place...

Accommodation
The question is couch surfing vs. hostels. Couch surfing is usually the cheapest way to go, in aussie it can cost anything from free (if you're lucky!) to around $150 per week. The average Melbourne hostel will cost about $25 to $30 a night. Both are good options if you're in a main city, I guess it just comes down to personal preference and if you feel safe couch surfing.

My advice is if you want to stay near the beach, get a tent and stay at a caravan park. Camping sites can cost as little as $10 a night, or free in a National Park. You can buy tents really cheap over here, and save on the weight for your flight.

Transport
If you're going between the main cities, flying is probably best. Jetstar and Tiger offer the cheapest rates, but make sure you book in advance. A flight from Sydney to Melbourne is about $50 (sale fares can be much lower) and take about an hour and a half.

The public transport over here is a little behind the times once you get out of the main cities, so if that's your preferred method, make sure you plan ahead. You can get trains or buses in between the main cities, but they take a really long time (think 8 hours or more). You can get a ferry over to Tasmania, but flying is cheaper and quicker. If travelling in Melbourne by train, you can get a weekly ticket for $30 which is unlimited trips within a specific area.

Hiring a car is a good option if you're in a group, or even a campervan (it's like a crap version of a Winnebago)

Communication
There’s not many Cell/Mobile phone companies to choose from, but the best bet is 3 pre paid caps. You can bring your own phone, and if it supports Skype, you get unlimited use for free. The main companies are 3, Vodafone, Virgin, Optus and Telstra (I would avoid this last one at all costs).Phone cards are expensive, but your hostel may have deals on them.

Internet may be a little slower than you're used to, but wifi hotspots are widely available.

Food
Restaurants can be really expensive, and you definitely pay for what you get. If it's close to a beach then it's pretty much guaranteed to be super pricey! Cafes are moderately priced. If you really want to eat out, Take Away is your best bet, and we have a HUGE variety, being such a multi cultural country. Fish and Chip shops are great too, less than $5 for a decent meal.
The same as everywhere, buying groceries and cooking is the cheapest.

Attractions
You might be surprised just how much you can do for nothing over here. A lot of our main tourist attractions are free, or reasonably priced. Things like climbing the Sydney Harbour Bridge are expensive, but such an experience! It doesn't cost you anything to go and look at it though!!! If you want to cuddle a Koala, skip the zoos, and look for smaller wildlife parks. They have all the natives, and are much cheaper. You usually get a cuddle there, unlike most zoos

Jobs
If you're planning an extended stay, and thinking about work, the easiest jobs to get are bar or waitressing work. Great way to meet people too! Average rates of pay are from $15 to $20 an hour, depending on experience and how much tax you pay (if any). If you want something more professional, try registering with a recruitment agency for Temp work. Most full time jobs are only offered to Permanent Residents, but if you have a trade qualification you shouldn't have any problems.

I know I've rambled on a bit, but hopefully you have a good idea of what to expect. If anyone wants anything more specific, let me know. I'll leave you with a parting piece of advice for budget conscious backpackers: check out gumtree (free classifieds), great place to find jobs and couch surfing!
theworldismyOYSTER is offline   Reply With Quote