Re-Introduction and a Question for you Vets - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 01-22-2005, 01:52 PM   #1
T-PUNK RANGER

Send a message via AIM to arbiter13 Send a message via MSN to arbiter13

I doubt anyone remembers me. The last time I remember actually posting was during the big thread on Fahrenheit 9/11...good lord that was a long time ago. But I've been faithfully reading the boards since then, just haven't had any reason to post.

My last trip was cancelled ( no $$$...of course). Since then I've been quietly sulking/brooding about the future.

Since then, I've withdrawn from AFROTC (my passion and reason for going to college), switched majors, lost my dad, moved multiple times, and continued that descent into insanity.

My roommate keeps backing out of plans for trips to Prague. So I'm cutting him loose and going solo this summer. A week in Prague MINIMUM and maybe a few days in Greece. Money is no longer a (large) obstacle (THANK YOU INSURANCE SETTLEMENTS!!!!) A friend of mine in Germany will be out of school, so I may travel with her ( ).

ANYWAYS...onto the question.

I was shopping for a backpack. One of those nice external frame hardcore backpacker things. He keeps telling me they make me a giant target and I should just take standard luggage. I tell him he's stupid. He calls me naive (I've never left the country and he has multiple times (Spain, England, Guatemala)). But all of those trips he's gone on have been organized tours with school groups or church groups.
Basically, I ask this: Does it make you that much of a target? Or are you going to look like a tourist no matter what?

My family is freaking out about Prague...saying its dangerous and all that. Can I tell them they're full of shit?

One more story/question...I swear its the last.
I plan on studying Spring semester '06 in Prague. But due to my military ambitions, I have to keep in shape. What kind of a gyms do they have over there? Pretty much the same over here? Can I just run through the streets like I do over here? It may sound stupid...but I just had to ask.

Thank you for any help.

P.S. Detailed hostel recommendations for Prague and Greece (Athens...Sparta maybe?) will be rewarded with eternal worship

"War is God's way of teaching Americans geography."
- Ambrose Bierce</color>

Blogger Profile
arbiter13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 08:39 PM   #2
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

Just wanted to say that I like your GK Chesterton quote! I love his work, especially the book "everlasting man" and "the man who was thursday" as well as many other...oh and his poetry!

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 01:04 AM   #3
Don't cut the red wire...

Send a message via MSN to The Monsignor Send a message via Yahoo to The Monsignor

My experience is that travellers with money have luggage, broke travellers have backpacks.

Personally, I'd rather have a backpack, simply because it's easier to travel with (for me).

(I'm also going to Prague this May, for my mid-tour leave from the middle east, but I have no intention of doing any additional PT there... the backpacking and travelling should be enough!) You should be able to keep fit (if you're already there) just by simple calesthenics and the sheer amount of walking you're likely to be doing by touring. (especially if you have a pack on... you can add additional weight if you feel the need)

As to the safety and details of Prague, I'll have to defer to other experts who've been there already....

Make war, not love! It's safer!

The Monsignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 10:31 AM   #4
TPunk Emeritus

Prague's fine...there were some "scam" problems a few years ago, but I think it's been straightened up by now. Just use common sense, if you have all kinds of warning bells going off about a situation (no prices on the menu, someone sleazy looking wanting to take you to their "favorite" bar, etc.) then trust your instincts and cut loose.

Anyway, backpacks are not going to make you a target. Rolling a Samsonite suitcase all over town would be more likely to do that! Seriously, you should be fine.

Oh, and in Athens, stay in the "Plaka" district -- that is where all the amenities are, plus it's within walking distance of the major sights.

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 01:26 PM   #5
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
I was shopping for a backpack. One of those nice external frame hardcore backpacker things.
DO NOT get an external frame pack. They suck, trust me, I took one on my first trip to Europe. They're huge, and annoying as hell. If I had it to do over again, I'd get THIS. It's small enough to carry onto the plane but big enough for 3 months worth of clothes. Plus it has a day pack which is a serious necessity.

Prague is no problem safety wise, you'll be fine, tell them they're crazy.

Have fun, if you have any questions....umm......ask!

The beauty of this world will last
Much longer than its men
No need for man to test this fact
Enjoy the view instead----Me(Part of a longer poem)
ChasinJason1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 01:44 PM   #6
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

ditto on the external packs... DO NOT GET ONE!!!

I had one for my costa rica trip back in '97 and it was a HUGE MISTAKE
Old 01-24-2005, 03:06 PM   #7
Last Departure EYW: 2300

Send a message via AIM to lilwings Send a message via Yahoo to lilwings

Prague is pretty safe. Take it from a single female who has travelled there numerous times by herself and never had a problem. Just be smart... watch your cash and your wallet and don't let your valuables stray very far from you. I even walked around at night, and never once have been messed with. Just like wwm said, trust your instincts.

As far as places to stay, I can't say enough good things about Sir Toby's. A friend also recently passed on a good place to stay called U Melonu (not totally sure of the spelling). Speaking of U Melonu, if anyone has any knowledge about this place, please pass it on to me. I am thinking about giving it a try in May or so.

As far as keeping fit? If it's that big of a concern, take a pair of running shoes and some easy to pack workout cloths and do a little PT on your own... but, if you're just out cruisin' around and seeing things, you'll probably get enough of a workout just walking around Prague.

Best of luck and have a safe trip.

Monsignor... you're hitting Europe for R and R aorund May? I probably will be up to no- good around the EU if you need anything. Our Squadron returns to Duetchland in March.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:56 PM   #8
T-PUNK RANGER

Ah....yeah, external frame bad....meant to put internal...blonde moment, my bad.

Anyways, here are the packs I was looking at. Any opinions/recommendations?
(I know what the difference is between internal and external...but I can't tell from the pictures, so these might be externals....)

Klamath 78
Europacker
Transcont. Journey
Windpass

thx for the tips so far, y'all

wait...you're a kiowa pilot???
awesome
Got a question. I've been told that you don't have a lot of time to travel on active duty. True?

- Ambrose Bierce</color>

Blogger Profile
Old 01-25-2005, 10:16 AM   #9
TPunk Emeritus

Forget the suitcase and go with a pack, its so much easier to deal with. Bottom line is...any type of luggage screams tourist - and potential scam victim. Most people know backpackers likely have littlke money, though...so I would wager this makes you less of a target - at least for scams, robbery etc. I like Eagle Creek, I have an Eagle Creek pack and its great - so I would go with them, personally.

Prague is a huge tourist destination now and quite safe. No worries.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 05:00 PM   #10

Travelling on active duty ebbs and flows. I had the chance to get stationed in Germany with the Army, and I took it. I have used every weekend and block leave to travel around Europe, and I have never once regretted it. With the AF, deployments are shorter and your opportunities are a bit more frequent for travel than with the Army. My summers are normally very busy with training, but my spring, fall, and winter travels have been great (I travelled right up until my deployment date). I can't say whether active duty is for you, but it's not a bad life overall. Deployment gets old, and that's the only part that makes me tired of the militaryat times. For a single person, it's not too bad (the money's at least good when you are away- tax free and all). The nice part about being stationed in Germany is the chance to live there on the economy. My town is actually a farming town in the northern part of Bavaria, and I am one of only two American soldiers who live there... all the rest are Germans.

For anyone who is thinking about spending a first tour in Europe on active duty, I can't say enough good things about the experience.

PS. Yes, I fly Kiowas.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:57 AM   #11
TPunk Emeritus

That's really cool, lilwings. So, did you take the train around on your weekend trips, or did you fly one of the lowcost Eurocarriers (or drive)? That would be an awesome way to do it...a weekend here, a weekend there, and before you know it, you've seen a good chunk of Europe. Way to take advantage of it while stationed there!

I was showing some coworkers your pics of Iraq the other day. Nice.

worldwidemike
Old 01-26-2005, 06:53 AM   #12

I have done it all actually. When I am going into major cities where I'll be hanging out for a long weekend, I take the train. If I am going somewhere in Germany or close to the border, where I know parking won't be much of a problem, I drive(gas rations for service members reduce the overall cost at the pumps). Cheap tickets are always available from Ryanair and other low cost carriers (and it's even better when you can get them online).

Paris is amazing, Prague is magic, Italy makes me weak in the knees, but my favorite trips have been completely spur of the moment in Germany (if anyone gets the chance... highly advise Nurenburg, Bamberg, Wurzburg, and Munich at Christmas time).
Old 01-27-2005, 12:39 PM   #13
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by lilwings@Jan 26 2005, 02:53 PM
Italy makes me weak in the knees
Yeah, Italy is my fave! I could go there year after year for a decade and still have stuff to see.

worldwidemike
Old 02-07-2005, 09:05 PM   #14
T-PUNK RANGER

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/41/1063/640...tos22%20015.jpg

What are these? Are these...plane tickets??? Why they must be!!

14 June - 25 June...haha! and they said I'd never make it!!

Czech women...oh god I can hardly wait

- Ambrose Bierce</color>

Blogger Profile
Old 02-07-2005, 09:59 PM   #15
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

I am SO jealous. Best of luck. And save a couple of them for me!
Old 02-07-2005, 11:17 PM   #16
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

Dude thats awesome! Do you have ideas of what you want to do while you are out there? (besides the Czech women )

Old 02-08-2005, 11:25 AM   #17
T-PUNK RANGER

Well I've got a friend in SE Germany I haven't seen in 2 years. Hopefully hang out with her...really, this is just me getting my feet wet. I've never left the country and I'm tired of talking about the world and having never seen it. So, here we go...hey, let's go to Prague, I don't speak the language and I have no people skills...so why not?

Wander the city
Wear out my camera
Enjoy the sights *points to Czech women comment*
Try not to get thrown in jail for assault after a heated debate broke out over international politics
Try out this "beer" stuff...find out what the big deal is
Find out exactly who I am

That's the short list

I'VE GOT $#*@(%! PLANE TICKETS!!

Hostel hunting time!!

- Ambrose Bierce</color>

Blogger Profile
Old 02-08-2005, 11:54 AM   #18
***** gear guru

Sounds like a good plan to me. You'll have a blast!