surviving the anticipation 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 05-18-2006, 09:14 AM   #1
Members

Since ms.annielee already left last week (good for her!!!) im starting another anticipation thread. I'm dying to say finallly "hallelujah hallelujah" too... hehe I am working currently to past the time. Although it's not the worst job in the world it makes time drag like nothing. Anyway, what are you guys doing to past time? and how many more days?!?

-fortune cookie
crybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 11:26 AM   #2
TPunk Recognized

I leave in 30 days and I'm taking my Uni exams to pass the time, haha! I'm really excited but desperately trying to put the trip to the back of my mind until they're over with. I guess the fact I'm on here means it isn't really working though.
Where I've been: Albania, Australia, Belguim, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Colombia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Jordan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovenia, Somaliland, Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Thailand, Transnistria, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Ukraine, Uruguay Uzbekistan, Vatican City, Vietnam, Yemen

Where I'm going: Cyprus (June 2013)
ajb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 11:43 AM   #3
Members

actually i don't mind haven't a little stress to pass the time with. I'm sure i'm going to regret writting that, but it does speed things up. Anyway, good luck w/your exams and definitely think of your trip as the light at the end of the tunnel!

-fortune cookie
Old 05-18-2006, 11:47 AM   #4
Members

*having/writing...ehh..where's the edit button on this thing

it's hard being all sneaky and posting messages at wrk..hehe

-fortune cookie
Old 05-18-2006, 02:25 PM   #5
Tpunk Senior Moderators

I don't leave for another 120 days, haha, so imagine how hard it is for me surviving the anticipation!

I finish my degree in a couple of days, then I'm working all through the summer.

Where are you both going?
Old 05-18-2006, 05:32 PM   #6
Ohio State's #1 Fan

Send a message via AIM to Brookers13 Send a message via MSN to Brookers13

25 days!!!!

"I wanna be there, I wanna go back down and get high by the sea there, with a tin cup for a chalice, fill it up with good red wine, and ill be chewin' on a honeysuckle vine...." - Jimmy
Brookers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 12:10 PM   #7
Members

i am going to europe (spain, france, italy, greece) then asia, maybe new zealand next. i'm not sure about the last one though, it depends on how physically and mentally tired i am, but at this rate i'm ready to gooooooo anywhere for any length of time!!

40 more days!!!!!

where are you guys going?

-fortune cookie
Old 05-22-2006, 12:11 PM   #8
Ohio State's #1 Fan

portugal and spain!!!! 21 days!!!

"I wanna be there, I wanna go back down and get high by the sea there, with a tin cup for a chalice, fill it up with good red wine, and ill be chewin' on a honeysuckle vine...." - Jimmy
Old 05-22-2006, 01:43 PM   #9
Members

hehhe..i wish i could say that...once mines goes down to 2 weeks i'll start adding the dancing guy.

I noticed you're going to pamplona too..are you staying till the 10th or later?

-fortune cookie
Old 05-22-2006, 01:45 PM   #10
Ohio State's #1 Fan

i really have no clue...right now im having a hard time figuring out how im getting there...im just gonna play it by ear

Old 05-22-2006, 02:03 PM   #11
Members

ok...just wondering who else might be there. Seems like everyone is showing up early! and yea, i know what you mean by playing it by ear, after europe i'm def not keeping too close a schedule...all that planning is a pain in the butt..lol

-fortune cookie
Old 05-22-2006, 02:09 PM   #12
Tpunk Senior Moderators

I'm going to Miami, a few places in California (and Vegas, while I'm over in that direction!), Fiji, New Zealand, east coast of Oz, Singapore, and Hong Kong.

Too long to wait!
Old 05-22-2006, 02:22 PM   #13
Members

hehhe..i know what you mean. When are you going to be in new zealand and singapore. Those are my tentative stops around mid oct/nov/dec 2006

-fortune cookie
Old 05-23-2006, 11:55 AM   #14
Tpunk Senior Moderators

NZ is going to be from something like 14th October til 14th November, and Singapore is, umm... 9th til 14th December, or something like that!
Old 05-23-2006, 02:37 PM   #15
Members

Send a message via AIM to Echo Of Reason

Quote:
Originally posted by crybaby@May 18 2006, 12:43 PM
actually i don't mind haven't a little stress to pass the time with. I'm sure i'm going to regret writting that, but it does speed things up. Anyway, good luck w/your exams and definitely think of your trip as the light at the end of the tunnel!
[snapback]121547[/snapback]
I'm leaving in 1 week and but until Friday I've got all kinds of studying to work on. With the stress of finals and getting ready for this trip Time is flying by at supersonic speeds. Another benefit is once I get out of here, the vacation will be all the more worth it. I can't wait!!!

blog
Echo Of Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 04:40 PM   #16
TPunk Recognized

24 days to go! I have a weeks break before my next exam so spent the day sorting a few things out, bought my travel insurance and then went into town to get a few small things (money belt, padlock etc.). All I need to do now is trek to London to get my Moldovan visa, buy a new rucksack and take 6 more exams, then I'm outta here.

On a side note, my money situation is going to be worse than planned, my latest estimate is that I'll have about €25 a day to live on, and that has to pay for everything (accomodation, trains/buses, food etc.). Ah well, I am going to the poorest countries in Europe and plan on extensively utilising couchsurfing.com.
Where I've been: Albania, Australia, Belguim, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Colombia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Jordan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovenia, Somaliland, Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Thailand, Transnistria, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Ukraine, Uruguay Uzbekistan, Vatican City, Vietnam, Yemen

Old 05-24-2006, 09:21 AM   #17
TPunk Emeritus

Hey, *I'm* looking forward to you traveling, ajb3000! You always post such useful, interesting info about these countries I want to go to...keep it up!

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 01:51 PM   #18
Members

i soo wished I had a week too echo..lucky you

ajb3000, if you find a way to survive on 25e/day let us know, that would be awesome. I still haven't figured out my daily budget yet. I know how much I have to spend but still have to figure out how to minimize my budget...would 80/e be good? watch me end up having to couch surf too..hehe. have you had any luck using it before?

my itinerary for singapore and new zealand is the reverse of yours Lauren

-fortune cookie
Old 05-24-2006, 02:03 PM   #19
Tpunk Senior Moderators

That's a shame, Crybaby, we could have had a meet up!

Ajb3000, I'm having budget problems too. I'd anticipated earning a certain amount over the summer, but I'm not feeling too hopeful about getting a job as soon as I had thought I would. Also, as I'm used to working as a student, in previous years I've not been taxed, but as I graduate this year, I have to start paying tax. I will get it back eventually, come next April, cos I won't have earnt over the set amount, but it's such a pain, cos I'd not counted on being taxed!

So, that will set me back probably around £600 of what I'd expected. At least, come next April, I'll get a tidy little sum back, and can maybe take another trip!

Old 05-24-2006, 04:46 PM   #20
TPunk Recognized

crybaby, I had a guy from Canada couchsurf at mine a month ago but haven't surfed with anyone myself yet. It worked out really well, he arrived in the evening, we stayed up chatting and drinking for a few hours, he then slept on the couch and left in the morning at the same time I left the house for Uni. I've just sent a request to a guy in Albania so we'll see how that goes, he's an American in the Peace Corps so it'd be awesome if that works out.

I reckon €25/day will be alright, I'll spend a little more in places like Greece and Turkey but the likes of Albania and Moldova I should be able to get away with a lot less, espiecally when couchsurfing.

Lauren, I don't know if you already have one or not, but you could open (or increase) a student interest-free overdraft, which I believe remains interest free until 6-months after you graduate (check that with your bank though), then pay it off with your tax rebate in April? Not an ideal solution but might be worth it for a sort of buffer if you get short while away.