Ahh I booked it! - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 05-18-2008, 02:20 AM   #21
Admin

On transportation within Italy, one thing you'll find is that they seem to never check for tickets on public transportation and trains. I never saw anyone get checked the whole week that I was there:eek: .

Also, the time frame in Italy seems pretty doable for those cities. Maybe check out the coast? Cinque Terre is supposed to be beautiful.
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:17 AM   #22
lover of Germany

I think you did the right thing booking Easyjet-yeah they are 15 euro more but I when I went to Belgium on Ryanair we went to Chareloi and had to pay 10 euro each way for a bus to Brussels! Thats the thing with Ryanair there are hidden costs sometimes.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:01 AM   #23
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BedtimeontheMoon View Post
Am I being too zealous with the 3 cities in this time frame ?
Nope...you should be fine. Honestly, I figure 3 days per city is fine. If you get a chance to see the south of Italy, too, you'll enjoy it. In particular, the Amalfi coast is gorgeous, the ruins of Pompeii and Herculanaeum are amazing (you can visit both by staying in Sorrento -- a more pleasant place to stay than Naples).

My main recommendation for Venice is to stay there, in the city, at least a couple nights. The city is so different at night after the day trippers have gone home. To this day, after 60+ countries, I still maintain that Venice is the most beautiful city in the world...!
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:53 AM   #24
T-PUNK SPECIAL FORCES

Just to second that women solo opinion, when me and my friends were in Paris we stayed near the Moulin Rouge and at night it is very shady around that area. Wouldn't suggest any solo sight seeing round there.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:45 PM   #25
TPunk Recognized

dudeman, I know exactly what you are talking about... I went to Montemarte my last day in Paris in the wee hours of the morning (a little after 6am) to catch the sunrise (which i missed). It was dead quiet and there were only the stubbling idiots from the previous night hanging at the Sacre Coeur and the street cleaners. So i'm taking pictures on the side of the Sacre, when out of teh corner of my eye, i see a strange movement.... I look over and the street cleaner guy is wiggling his penis at me!!! I didn't give him an expression or second look, turned around and walked away. There were also a lot of guys trying to pick me up. Honestly, it was day time and I was creeped out. Sunday morning it is dead until about 10 am when the artists start coming in and the stores begin to open. Scary experience... the metro stop Abysse ? Also looks crazy shady when you get off. However, going into the Sacre Coeur before the tourists crowds and listening to the nuns sing their hymes was amazing. It was peaceful and beautiful without the murmur of a crowd.

Worldwidemike, as for Venice, to be honest it wasn't to my liking. But I will admit that my opinion is probably bias to the fact that it was raining the day, the night, and the next day I was there. The canal streets drove me up a wall when I was actually trying to get somewhere. It was fun when I was just exploring, but damn near impossible to navigate.

I am in Florence today, and I will probably be leaving tomorrow. It is beautiful and the locals are a lot of fun. I'm staying at the EuroStudent Hostel and they are the best hosts ever. The owner Nino and Tommy really are a big help in leading you in the right direction. They get to know you and remember you on a first name basis. Tommy takes us to the local bars and clubs at night. I found this to be awesome. I hadn't yet clubbed in Europe. The restaurant right next to it Ristorante Giotto is incredibly yummy at fantastic prices for being full courses. If you want a sit down place that it.

Florence is extremely small. I can walk the entire city in no time. A lot easier to navigate than Venice! For waking up late, I saw a decent amount of the city today.

Went to Pisa and back (4 hr trip). Left at 5:30pm, walked to the leaning tower, walked back to the station, and was back in Florence by 9:30pm. i was on a mission lol See tower walk around the Duomo and go. I feel accomplished, I had anticipated it taking a lot longer.

just thought I'd throw in my experiences, I know I was looking for loads of info on here so I hope future travellers benefit from it!

Next is Rome... trying to book a hostel now :/

- Miss Di
BedtimeontheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:06 AM   #26
TPunk Emeritus

Bummer about the bad weather in Venezia! It is amazing how much weather can color your reaction to a place. A place can be drop dead beautiful, but if its driving rain, and all you can do is huddle inside, you're not going to have the best memories of it. Nor be able to experience it's beauty.

Good luck in the rest of Italy...!

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:13 AM   #27
TPunk Recognized

thanks. i did enjoy Florence a lot and Rome has been great too. Stayed at The Yellow in Rome and it's a pretty cool place. Very clean, has lockers, good staff. They also host a pub crawl there and have an onsite bar with free wifi. For me that was a super plus. They also have some dorms with ensuite bathrooms/showers. Vatican was crazy on Sunday ( free and the pope was speaking). I couldn't even get into the museum. Went back today...

I am still debating where to head tomorrow. I need to book whatever I am doing like now. lol :sigh: Damn my disorganization!
BedtimeontheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote