Is Backpacking the new DIET - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 09-25-2007, 08:09 PM   #21
TPunk Recognized

Sounds good travlvirgin. Eat when you get hungry, sleep when you get tired etc. Works for me.

Jason, drunk kebabs don't count. Oh, they were sooooo goooood! Everyone danced them off anyway. A four kebab night is what legends are made of!
Old 09-26-2007, 06:26 AM   #22
The " ... " queen of TP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe7f View Post
I have no doubt the food is part of it but I think the main contributing factor is the increased exercise.

I bet I am lucky to walk 0.5 miles a day (unless I go to the gym) whereas when you travel you could end up walking 11k in half the recommended time, through areas where beavers flooded with a girl who feels like that is just a warmup for 60k the following weekend and you realize you should be strapping on an apron and getting her a beer... just a generic example mind you

--Joey
Hahaha yeah Carolyn & I were kind of ripping it at the beginning, lol. But hey, look on the bright side (1) we got firewood!!! & (2) we were ahead enough to be the dumb ones that jumped INTO the muddy beaver flooded areas (me in a white skirt & w/ my shoes off, mind you) to look for the rest of the trail

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:06 AM   #23
Rabidly Xenophilic

Another way that makes it easy to lose weight is to be somewhere where you have no clue about the language. If finding a shop/restaurant and ordering food is a huge ordeal you find yourself skipping meals unless you're really hungry. Or at least I do!
Old 09-26-2007, 07:37 AM   #24
The " ... " queen of TP!

Oh god no! I just revert to pictures or things pre-made like those tasty sandwiches in france...then you just point! or you learn what you like/dont like. For instance I don't like prociutto, but I like ham. So in Spain I found it difficult to differentiate from the menu what was ham & what was prociutto so I just bought a ton of sandwich mistas and gespacio (mmm). But otherwise I'd just bite the bullet & order something random because I knew a few words just from Spanish's similarity to french such as chicken, etc

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
Old 09-26-2007, 07:43 AM   #25
Artist of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlvirgin View Post
Hahaha so it looks like ill do a bit of both. the first bit im with family so i guess ill put on a ton of weight. after that im solo for six months and in all honesty i cant see myself stopping to eat all that much, ill be more of a continuous fruit eater or snacker. and do heappppppppps of walking so hopefully i come home in better shape.
YES! Continuous fruit snacker is the best thing ever.. actually I have tried to take this habit for regular life here, but it doesn't always work. I'm just not motivated to go out and buy fruit.

Anyway, yeah 6 months you'll be skinnier, although not necessarily healthier, due to the stresses you'll put on your body.
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:03 AM   #26
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_angelic View Post
But hey, look on the bright side (1) we got firewood!!! & (2) we were ahead enough to be the dumb ones that jumped INTO the muddy beaver flooded areas (me in a white skirt & w/ my shoes off, mind you) to look for the rest of the trail
Definitely the highlight of the campout :D

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:50 AM   #27
Members

i actually gained weight while i was in costa rica. the locals kept feeding me and with all the rice and beans, it just stuck to me like glue. being back in the states and my way of life (homeless hippy with very limited money), im losing weight again. food is too expensive in the states. especially the healthy organic stuff that i prefer over fast food. so, yea, i definitely gained weight abroad, and that includes all the physical activities i was doing!

"People who will not use their intelligence are no better than animals who do not have intelligence. Such people are beasts of burden and steaks on the table by choice and consent."
DrGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 07:34 AM   #28
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe7f View Post
Definitely the highlight of the campout :D

--Joey
Muddy beavers and white skirts..wt..?
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:36 PM   #29
The " ... " queen of TP!

Yeah, didn't you know? That's how we rock it in Canada....

Not THAT kind of beaver voyd....

-James Dean

Old 09-28-2007, 11:17 PM   #30
An Optimistic Realist.

Send a message via AIM to Sijuki Send a message via MSN to Sijuki Send a message via Yahoo to Sijuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyd View Post
Muddy beavers and white skirts..wt..?

Good lord... I can't imagine a muddy beaver being a good thing. But white skirts are nice.

2009-2014: February - Mexico (Cancun x 3, Cozumel x 1, Mazatlan x 2

2014 : Europe: Norway, Denmark, Hungary, Czech Rep, Germany, France, England

2015 : US:Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Joshua Tree NP, Salton Sea, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore. 20 states. Europe: Stockholm, Barcelona, Madrid, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw, Ireland (month driving around), Northern Ireland, Edinburgh.

2021: Europe?

Need a Railpass for that Trip to Europe?
Or Maybe a Hostel Reservation?
Frog Creek Brewing -- Upcoming Microbrewery

Sijuki@gmail.com
Sijuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 05:52 AM   #31
Mod

Send a message via MSN to aliz

staying with a family usually makes you put on weight.. staying with a german family was crazy, i've never had so many potatoes in my life! if i'm left to my own devices i usually lose weight (or 'waste away' as my mum always says when she sees me) because i don't really eat much and i like healthy food. i probably put on weight when i was in the US... dunno how to say this without possibly offending people, but there is an awful lot of crappy processed food in america... that and the serving sizes in restaurants would feed me for a week! and on top of that, my friend's sister (I was staying with the family) would be snacking on more crap every hour! arrghh i'm sure there are lots and lots of healthy people in America but i just could not believe the amount of fast food chains and just bad eating habits all around.. i was craving a fresh salad the whole time!
Old 09-29-2007, 06:29 AM   #32
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

^It is tough to find fast healthy food, so I ended up eating crap most of the time.

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:51 PM   #33
An Optimistic Realist.

Send a message via AIM to Sijuki Send a message via MSN to Sijuki Send a message via Yahoo to Sijuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliz View Post
staying with a family usually makes you put on weight.. staying with a german family was crazy, i've never had so many potatoes in my life! if i'm left to my own devices i usually lose weight (or 'waste away' as my mum always says when she sees me) because i don't really eat much and i like healthy food. i probably put on weight when i was in the US... dunno how to say this without possibly offending people, but there is an awful lot of crappy processed food in america... that and the serving sizes in restaurants would feed me for a week! and on top of that, my friend's sister (I was staying with the family) would be snacking on more crap every hour! arrghh i'm sure there are lots and lots of healthy people in America but i just could not believe the amount of fast food chains and just bad eating habits all around.. i was craving a fresh salad the whole time!

I for one am not offended.. I know we have way overprocessed food, too much fast food, and just plain old too much junk. It's that mindset that makes it so hard for a lot of people to break that habit. Even when I try to eat healthy I end up getting busy or something and end up without food trying to find something. Oye.

2009-2014: February - Mexico (Cancun x 3, Cozumel x 1, Mazatlan x 2

2014 : Europe: Norway, Denmark, Hungary, Czech Rep, Germany, France, England

2015 : US:Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Joshua Tree NP, Salton Sea, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore. 20 states. Europe: Stockholm, Barcelona, Madrid, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw, Ireland (month driving around), Northern Ireland, Edinburgh.

2021: Europe?

Need a Railpass for that Trip to Europe?
Or Maybe a Hostel Reservation?
Frog Creek Brewing -- Upcoming Microbrewery

Sijuki@gmail.com
Sijuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 06:09 AM   #34
call me Condi!

I agree with the staying with a family deal. It's not "abroad" but I gain weight if I stay at my parents' for an extended period. It's probably what convinced me I didn't need a summer at home after Sophomore year. It's just that a lot of my "exercise" is just necessity in DC because I have to walk from place to place and because you can. SW Pennsylvania offers no such options. You basically have to take a car, and the city isn't a huge sprawl where you can get to lots of different places from the burbs with public transportation.
"I set out alone, finding no companion to cheer the way with friendly intercourse, and no party of travellers with whom to associate myself. Swayed by an overmastering impulse within me, and a long-cherished desire to visit those glorious sanctuaries, I resolved to quit all my friends and tear myself away from my home."
---Ibn Battuta, CE 1325

Latest travel crushes - Arizona, Morocco, The Baltic States, Tunisia, Portugal, Mexico
DC_Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 10:27 AM   #35
always trippin'

I am totally expecting to put on about 20 pounds when I go to Italy for a semester and live with a family. Not good, no matter how excited I am for pasta and gelato! Hopefully my proposed summer post-programs wanderings will take care of losing that excess weight though.

Check out my band!
freespiritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 11:34 AM   #36
Resident Junglist

Send a message via MSN to buzzingtalk

awe depends where im travelling. if im in asia i always loose, because good food is cheaper there, like big plates of veggies n shit. plus the chocolate is nasty out there so i eat well. but if im travellign ni the uk or in europe i pile it on, good vegan food costs so much more than its more unhealthy greasy rivals

Euro trips for gigs and festivals as usual...
Then heading east to NZ & Aus for a few years! Via Abu Dhabi, Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore.

Time to get out of the UK for a while!!
buzzingtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:18 PM   #37

Send a message via Yahoo to PhilBill
Cool Not at ALL a Girlie Question

Backpacking is an excellent way of losing weight. I took off to Kathmandu in 2004 to jump start my diet losing the first 20 lbs trekking the Himalayas and within the next 2 years went overland all through Indonesia, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos for 3 month trip losing 30 lbs more. Now that I have settled down a bit here in the Philippines I am gaining back the weight so I plan to do some volcano trekking and long distance bicycle riding along the coastal highways SOON in Feb 2008.
PhilBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:15 PM   #38
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to BigE Send a message via Yahoo to BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespiritz View Post
I am totally expecting to put on about 20 pounds when I go to Italy for a semester and live with a family. Not good, no matter how excited I am for pasta and gelato! Hopefully my proposed summer post-programs wanderings will take care of losing that excess weight though.
I actually lost weight in Italy. I lost 14 lbs in 10 days and I ate the whole time.

"An oppressive government is more to be feared than a tiger, or a beer."
-Confucius

Somewhere in England (maybe) - Spring (TBA)
Israel - Summer (TBA)
BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:12 PM   #39
TPunk Emeritus

I think some of it depends on where you come from. As Aliz mentioned, portion sizes are huge in the states and are one partial contributor to obesity, along with the sheer volumes of sugar and processed carbs consumed here. So, if you are from the states, portion control along with activity and moderately healthier food goes a long way. If you are from someplace that already has portion control (such as the UK with those teeny tiny excuses for sandwiches ) I bet its less of an impact.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:31 PM   #40
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to c0urt Send a message via MSN to c0urt Send a message via Yahoo to c0urt

well let's look at our options here
this is how i ate at home

fried every thing

and this was
this was about 10 euro in germany but i was walking everywhere

the new and improved stupidhurts.org

Last edited by c0urt; 01-03-2008 at 03:34 PM.
c0urt is offline   Reply With Quote