Where should I spend my time in Britain? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 06-11-2004, 04:24 PM   #1
Members

Send a message via AIM to jacksonxdh

I've got 5 weekends plus a 10-day period to travel in the UK this summer, and I've got an idea of where I want to go, but I'm very open to suggestions. Here's my itinerary at this point:

First long weekend (July 1-4th, leaving from Cambridge): Edinburgh (this is pretty set in concrete because I'm meeting a friend there)
Second weekend (July 9th-11th, leaving from Bath): Brighton, possibly? I read a book set in Brighton this year and figured it'd be cool to visit, plus i hear it's a cool party town. I promised a friend I'd accompany him to Dorset at some point during the trip, however, so this might be the time to do it.
Third weekend (beginning of week break, July 16th-26th, leaving from Cambridge): Possibly visiting Dorset for a few nights at the outset, then heading to Dublin for a few nights via www.ryanair.com and then possibly heading to Galway, or staying in Dublin...not sure. London is also a possibility.
Fourth long weekend (July 29th-Aug1st, leaving from Cambridge): Manchester and Liverpool? Is it possible to do both cities in a weekend? Is there somewhere else i should consider?
Last weekend of program (Aug5th, flight leaves on Aug 8th): London, because my flight leaves from London.

Any recommendations would be GREATLY appreciated, as well as must-sees, packing suggestions, etc etc. I'm such a greenhorn that I'm getting nervous 2 weeks prior to leaving.

"No brains, no headache. That's my motto. That, and everybody wang chung tonight." - Out Cold
jacksonxdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 08:40 AM   #2
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by jacksonxdh@Jun 11 2004, 03:24 PM
I've got 5 weekends plus a 10-day period to travel in the UK this summer, and I've got an idea of where I want to go, but I'm very open to suggestions.* Here's my itinerary at this point:

First long weekend (July 1-4th, leaving from Cambridge):* Edinburgh (this is pretty set in concrete because I'm meeting a friend there)
Second weekend (July 9th-11th, leaving from Bath): Brighton, possibly?* I read a book set in Brighton this year and figured it'd be cool to visit, plus i hear it's a cool party town.* I promised a friend I'd accompany him to Dorset at some point during the trip, however, so this might be the time to do it.
Third weekend (beginning of week break, July 16th-26th, leaving from Cambridge):* Possibly visiting Dorset for a few nights at the outset, then heading to Dublin for a few nights via www.ryanair.com and then possibly heading to Galway, or staying in Dublin...not sure.* London is also a possibility.
Fourth long weekend (July 29th-Aug1st, leaving from Cambridge):* Manchester and Liverpool?* Is it possible to do both cities in a weekend?* Is there somewhere else i should consider?
Last weekend of program (Aug5th, flight leaves on Aug 8th):* London, because my flight leaves from London.

Any recommendations would be GREATLY appreciated, as well as must-sees, packing suggestions, etc etc.* I'm such a greenhorn that I'm getting nervous 2 weeks prior to leaving.

Are you wanting to visit places for the culture/sight seeing? or for the clubs/party atmosphere ect?

I live in the north, so i can give you a good insight into things happening here. Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool and Newcastle are all great for nights out. York is always worth a visit for the history ect. Blackpool is always a good laugh.

Liverpool and manchester can easily be done in a wknd, they're only about an hour apart, and leeds is close by aswell.

Anymore specific questions mate, id be happy to answer them.

Samo
Old 06-15-2004, 09:21 AM   #3
Yoda

The midlands have a lot to offer as well, especially the Cotswold area. It's highly touristed, for a reason... but it's easy to avoid the tour buses and see things without a crowd of octogenarians. I know also that the cornwall area is spectacular (even though I haven't been there yet), and I expect worldwidemike will be by to put in his 2 cents about that. And of course Scotland, especially the highlands, shouldn't be missed either! Have a great time!!!
Old 06-15-2004, 10:49 AM   #4
Members

Send a message via MSN to Rancid Punx

hey glad ur coming to england as for places to go you have to do london quite obviously but i dont think u will be impressed with brighton. Is cool to hang out but its not a big party town unless your gay. The clubs are ok but nothing speciel. Bristol is very near bath and that is a great city to see and the night life is wild. Devon is good to see and not far away from bristol and bath. im not so sure about the north but i know there are some good citys manchester leeds and newcastle. Alot to see up there anyways. Have fun

Im down with the kids, i have Myspace!!!
Rancid Punx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 12:21 PM   #5
Yoda

and Birmingham has more night clubs per capita than any other city in the UK, if you're interested. No hostel there though!! It's a strange place...
Old 06-16-2004, 06:34 AM   #6
Members

Theres a whole range of stuff to see in Britain and most of it is quite easy to see. Don't be put off from going to Brighton its a great cosmopolitan sort of place, I lived and worked there for 18 months, it just isn't simply Gay focused there is lots to do - like see the Brighton Pavillion- it'll knock you out and some great clubs and a fantasic sea front/beach scene. Why not get down to Devon and Cornwall for some fantastic scenery, try Newquay for the surfy scene, go up the coast see Tintagel - maybe the birthplace of King Arthur (Camelot!!) Go to St Ives look in at the Tate Gallery, get on a boat and see the seals, chill out on the beach. You can fly to London from Newquay for £19, you can fly to Dublin from PLymouth and Exeter cheaply. You don't have to centre your holiday on London to get cheap flights, check out the web pages of the budget airlines for flights from Newquay, Plymouth, Bristol, Exeter, Cardiff if you go to Wales. Plymouth has a great club scene is a student city, if you're from the US you can stand on the very steps the Pilgrim Fathers did as they set sail for the New World. If you get to Plymouth (where I work) email me and I'll show you around. Good Luck
Robb_2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 09:05 AM   #7
Members

Send a message via AIM to jacksonxdh

Thanks for all the valuble info all... one more question, though. Is Dublin worth spending 5 days-a week in, or am ia better off using that time to see more stuff in Britain (in your opinion of course)?

"No brains, no headache. That's my motto. That, and everybody wang chung tonight." - Out Cold
jacksonxdh is offline   Reply With Quote