Alternative backpacking ideas(transportation,finances,room/board,locations,sites,etc) - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 07-12-2008, 05:16 PM   #1
Members

Default Alternative backpacking ideas(transportation,finances,room/board,locations,sites,etc)

So it seems that actually getting to Europe and paying for room and board seem to be the most costly obstacles in backpacking. I wanted to start a discussion about cost effective ways of traveling, and even alternative ideas for backpacking in general (not just in terms of finances). So post your ideas and reactions, or relate stories you've heard. Taking the route less traveled often opens the possibility for travel experiences completely unique from everyone else lumbering down the eurails with their backpacks, and has a tendency, in my opinion, to enable much more intimate experiences with the nations traveled.

I'm not leaving till next summer, but I've been entertaining a lot of ideas, in regards to crossing the Atlantic, particularly with boats. For instance, asking an import/export boat captain about working on his boat in exchange for ferrying me across the ocean, and I might even be able to make a little extra travel money. Or perhaps offering to pay him a little to let me stow away (maybe even stowing away secretly?). I know it seems a little dangerous, but I think it would be a great adventure and maybe a lot cheaper. Another concern would be time, it would probably take several weeks to arrive at the destination, but I would consider traveling by boat to be a crucial part of the experience.

More realistically, I could try getting a job on a cruise ship and disembark once we hit land. But my fear would be that I'd have to sign a contract or join a union; basically the fear would be getting tied up in such away that I couldn't just get off where I wanted.

Another issue is hostels. For the amount of time I plan on staying in Europe, paying for hostels the whole way might not be possible. I feel as though there must exist an alternative. Everyone seems to be couch surfing these days and that is one thing to consider. Unfortunately, I don't think its a feasible alternative for people traveling in groups (as I will be doing next summer). So I was thinking we might offer to do a few chores at people's homes in exchange for a floor to sleep on, or taking out the trash and mopping floors for a cafe in exchange for sleeping in the office or the storage room (maybe some free food too?). But I think these would need to be arranged prior to departure, and I'm not really sure how to go about that.

I've also known people who had great experiences with squatting, i.e. making friends with locals and hopping around their couches, sleeping in parks or in abandoned buildings. Again, run-ins with the authorities and thieves would be the concern, but my understanding is that as if travelers are smart about it and move in groups, there should be no problem.

One more thing I've been wondering about: Train hopping and hitchhiking. Has anyone done either in Europe, or heard of people doing it? These are my preferred modes of travel within the united states until gas prices go down, but I don't know how feasible they are in Europe. Can anyone tell me how Europeans tend to regard hitchhiking or train hopping? My impression from spending some time in France and Italy is that they would be much more laid back in regard to jumping trains then American authorities. But I don't even know how extensive the cargo-rail systems are in Europe or where I could study their infrastructure. And I presume hitchhiking is much safer in western Europe then in the states, but I don't know if the average Euro-diver would pick up a hitchhiker, or if the idea in general is as foreign to them as jean-shorts.

I have more questions and ideas, but I'll post them later.

Anyway, I'm interested in your ideas and reactions (even though I assume many of them will be negative) and I hope this thread turns into a profitable resource for fellow travelers. I hope people exchange ideas, try new things, and discourage others from harmful or dangerous traveling.

Safe traveling,
Christopher
Sleeping Under Czars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 05:57 PM   #2
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

Wow, well I think stowing away on a cargo ship sounds pretty James Bond exciting, but pretty unrealistic, especially coming back into the US... borders are sealed pretty tight now and even if you snuck on to a boat with a valid passport, they don't exactly have a place once you dock to get your passport stamped at customs (a "stowaway line"...LOL).

As for everything else, you're right, my reaction will be negative. Travel is awesome and there are some amazing folks on these boards who can budget travel like no other and I've gotten great tips on here which have saved me money.

However, there's a difference between budget travel and having a free ride all though your travels by train hopping, etc. It kind of undermines the rest of us who save and save and do the right thing. I don't know, maybe I just sound like a goody-goody but I'm big on doing the right thing. I feel like if you're traveling for an extended period of time and you feel you have to sleep in parks and illegally ride boats to do it, maybe you should shorten your trip or not go at all until you have the money.

I understand shit is expensive and whatever else, and there's nothing wrong with hitchhiking and sleeping in some sketchy places from time to time - adds a little color to your stories when you get back even - but compromising your safety and financial stability just to travel seems a little silly to me.

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 06:30 PM   #3
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

Dude I am all about alternative travel ideas and I've slept many a time huddled in a corner of someone's house or even on the street. Hitching is by far my favorite mode of transport and unfortunately jumping trains is illegal in most industrialized countries.

I think some of the best stories come from doing things a bit differently and riding that fine edge of legal and illegal.
TheJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:22 PM   #4
TPunk Moderator

I am all about alternative travel too. One thing to point out about HHing is that if you're a guy and if your travel partner is a guy, its gonna slow you down. Add in a third or more persons and its next to impossible. I have done it easily solo bc I am a girl; and also if w a partner the girl/guy combo works pretty well. As for safety, Europe vs USA - I HHed in Europe quite a bit and never had any troubles but the first time in the States...I met a perv almost immediately. Usually the cops leave ya alone. The Hungarian police were the only ones who ever stopped me. They just took my passport no and told me not to stand on the highway (which I wasn't).

Next time in Europe I want to try squatting; I had the idea of doing it during my last trip but it slipped my mind. This guy I met HHing invited me to Copenhagen with him to visit Christiana which is a famous commune or squat or something like that. I turned him down. I don't regret anything but I'm kinda disappointed I didn't go. Some friends told me about this squat they were going to stay at in Vienna. They're there you just gotta find em. Bring a tent of course and set up. If you're en route, throw up your tent where the cops can't see. I don't know about urban camping, but I think some people have done it.

And one thing to point out is the OP and other alt travelers are not necessarily out to save money. We just want a different experience than the typical Eurail backpacker does. Its the same principle as even if someone has the means to stay in the Hilton, but choose to stay in a hostel instead for the experience.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote