responsible travel - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 07-04-2008, 11:58 PM   #1
TPunk Recognized

Default responsible travel

im sure most members here know and practice these things already, but i was APPALLED last week in Cambodia, at the general ignorance of travellers.

firstly, if your in a country that doesnt sustain toilet paper in the sewerage systems- you will know this by seeing a bin RIGHT NEXT TO the toilet, and often also a bucket of water next to the toilet with a scoop in it for self flushing, PLEASE dont go and out toilet paper in it! i mean you girls!! the amount of times i went into a bar/restaurants toilet only to find it half flooded from some stupid bitch putting paper in it, and i had to wade thru 2 inches of water in thongs...gross. and a freaking headache for staff i imagine!

TAGGING; sure, you may want everyone to know that you were at such n such temples, but really all it made me think was oh... "john 2007"? what a freaking loser! you are defacing temples built hundreds of years ago. i cant believe some people still need educating on why this is not cool.... as goes with the pommy tards i seen CLIMBING up onto the ruins for a photo. lucky i got them on camera and will be posting it on youtube for pure shame factor - search under my username mermaidnz

Littering is stupid. i was walking up a small trail to a waterfall when i seen a water bottle thrown on the ground a whole FIVE meters away from the bin. its pretty clear it was a foreigner considering no locals really bothered to go up there. please, instead, get a camelback backpack-eliminating plastic bottles, or keep them on you till you find a bin.

and being rude with photos, dont just snap photos of homeless beggers - i swear to go i seen someone do this! if you want a photo, ask, sometimes offering a dollar or something helps, its so rude to just snap pics of locals for nothing, not even a thanks, theres no need to be intrusive.

end rant/

can others please add more things that irk them about bad travellers,heh, so i dont sound like the only snarky bitch

www.youtube.com/jandalworldtour
www.youtube.com/theguzzleguts

Last edited by mermaidnz; 07-05-2008 at 04:11 AM.
mermaidnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:10 PM   #2
Rabidly Xenophilic

Also photographing things in a museum that doesn't allow flash photography...they do that for a reason!

And taking artifacts from a ruin site, or even stuff on the ground in a natural area. It may seem like just a pinecone but if everyone takes one then there's trouble! Especially be careful when scuba diving not to damage the coral, it takes thousands of years to form.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:31 PM   #3
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to Delaney Send a message via MSN to Delaney

I don't have any real rants, but I just hate it in general when people don't respect the local customs or always say, "Back home we...", isn't the point of travelling to live differently for a while?
(Disclaimer: I do compare the east coast to the west coast a lot, so maybe I am being hypocritical. But sometimes it is fascinating how different it is when its the same country!).
Anyway, in Baltimore I work near a stream with a sign that says "Take only pictures, leave only footprints". I think it also applies to traveling (as long as you don't leave footprints on sacred temples!).

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.
You're on your own.
And you know what you know.
You are the guy who'll decide where to go. - Dr. Suess

Why I'm not on TPunk as much anymore: http://www.kaushallab.cbl.umces.edu/people.html#katie
Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:01 PM   #4
The " ... " queen of TP!

amen

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:45 PM   #5
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

I hate when people travel but aren't open to the culture... especially when eating out. Don't fucking go to McDonalds every day then bitch cos it doesn't taste like back home. Don't go order something then turn your nose up. If you don't want to partake in the local culture, then maybe you should have traveled somewhere close to home and saved yourself the money.

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:56 AM   #6
lover of Germany

I only have 2 beefs with a few travelers-
1)learn at least a couple phrases in a their language and don't get pissy when they don't know yours. Let me paint a picture-2 lets say Russians ask you for help. One starts yelling very slowly at you in Russian and then pulls a face when you cannot understand them the other one while not great at English can at least rattle off "where is train station" which one are you more likely to want to help?
2) Don't break the laws! Remember you are a GUEST in this country and we need to be respectful of this fact.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:33 AM   #7
Yoda

Great post mermaid, I totally agree with everything-- the TP thing really hacks me off too, fucking gross when the toilet's flooded-- and good job with outing the asshats on youtube.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:37 PM   #8
Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinknic38 View Post
I hate when people travel but aren't open to the culture... especially when eating out. Don't fucking go to McDonalds every day then bitch cos it doesn't taste like back home. Don't go order something then turn your nose up. If you don't want to partake in the local culture, then maybe you should have traveled somewhere close to home and saved yourself the money.

Agreed. I hate how people don't plan out trips (checking the weather and whatnot) and end up holed in hotel rooms all day. Such a waste.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:15 PM   #9
Artist of Life

I hate backpackers who hate on other backpackers from other places, or carry with them prejudices.

I also don't like how backpackers from Western countries (myself included) and backpackers from non-english speaking countries don't hang out more. I mean... non-verbal communication is enough to party to right?

Yeah, that's my major two.
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote