Six Countries in Six Weeks - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 12-28-2004, 11:25 AM   #1
Members

Thumbs up

I'm trying to plan a trip to Europe and I'm looking for some advice as to what I should see while I'm there. I don't have any date yet because I'm still saving for it but here's what I'm planning to do.

I'm going to fly into Barcelona and spend a week in each of the following countries: Spain, France, Netherlands, Germany, Czech Republic, and Italy. What are the must-see sights in each of these places? I'm hoping to hit the more cultural areas during the day and check out clubs and bars in the evening.

Also, how much money do you really need to bring when backpacking? Besides the cost for a plane ticket into the country, a Eurail pass, and accomodation at a hostel, how much money would you need to really enjoy yourself there?

Any suggestions you could offer would be greatly appreciated.
punkrocksaturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 05:55 AM   #2
TPunk Emeritus

Hey Punk,

These are my pics for must sees in the countries I know of:

France:
Normandy- Omaha Beach if ur American, Juno Beach if ur Canadian
Tomb of Napoleon in Paris
Notre Dame in Paris
Walk the streets of Cannes in the South
Find a small town of your choice in the wine region of central France, hang out drink wine and meet locals.

Netherlands:
Walk the streets of Amsterdam for sure, but do not just stick to the red light district or Damarak wonder outside the massive tourist area and soak in the culture and architecture.
I have heard great things about Rotterdam, but have not had the pleasure is yet
Tour the world court in The Hague
Again, pick any small coastal town, relax, eat sea food, sip beer and just plain hang out

Germany:
Germany is still a bit of a blur unfortunatly, but let me tell ya, there is lots and lots of beer! And its EVERYWHERE!
The club scene is pretty insane in Munich
Hit a beerhall or 2 pretty much anywhere :-)
And something that I wish I had done, visit Berlin and soak in some Cold War flava. I hear that the rave and club scene is just scary...

Have a blast and I hope that helps even just a little.

Canadian Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 06:24 AM   #3
TPunk Recognized

Here are my picks with some prices. For the meal prices, I am talking about restaurants that are not fancy, but good places.

Spain
The must go to cities I would say are Barcelona, Madrid, and San Sebastian (if you are going in the summer). Barcelona has many great sites, Madrid has the great night life, and San Sebastian has great food and a great beach (but not too much to do so make sure the weather is good if you go)
Meals in restaurants 6-10 euros
Club fees could be anywhere from free to 15 euro, but the price will usually include one drink
Drinks are about 3 euro for a beer and 3-6 euro for a mixed drink

Germany
Berlin has everything, from all the Cold War and World War II sites, to lots of clubs.
In Munich, check out the beer halls/gardens such as Hoftbrahaus and Augustiner. Take a bike ride through Englischer Gardens.
Meals in restaurants 5-12 euros (as long as you drift off the main path in Munich or stick to East Berlin)
Beer 3-4 euro, Mixed drinks 6 euro
I don't remember how much the club fees were for the ones I went to, I think 3-4 euro

Czech Republic
Prague is great, but do try to go to one of the smaller towns such as Cesky Krumlov, Karlovy Vary, or Olomouc
Beer 1-2 euro in Prague, less than a euro outside of Prague
Mixed drinks 2-4 euro
Club fees are usually no more than 3 euro
Meals in restaurants can be around 7-15 euro in the center of Prague, on the outer part of Prague or anywhere else in the country 3-6 euro

Netherlands
If in Amsterdam, do try to make day trips to Haarlem, Utrecht, and/or Delft. All nice towns that give you more of a feel for the culture of the country than Amsterdam
Meals in restaurants 6-12 euro
Beer 2-3 euro, mixed drinks 7 euro
Club fees can be around 5-10 euro

In total, I would say to enjoy yourself in those countries expect to spend about 60 euro a day in the Netherlands and Germany, 50 euro in Spain, and 30-35 euro in the Czech Republic
skidrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 07:52 AM   #4
TPunk Emeritus

Well, at least you're not doing one of those 14 days/12 Countries!!!

Seriously, here are my picks:
Spain: Segovia is my favorite city...that and Toledo can be done as a day trip out of Madrid (a real party city!). I also recommend Grenada and Barcelona, but I would do just two of the three (Madrid w/day trips; Grenada/Seville; Barcelona). Otherwise, you're moving around too much.

France: Chuck Paris and its pomposity and head down to Provence...gorgeous Mediterranean scenery, Roman ruins, castles, beaches -- you name it!

Netherlands: Amsterdam, and as many day trips as sound interesting to you. The entire country can be pretty much done as a day trip with its excellent train system. I enjoyed Delfft...

Germany: I thought the Heidelberg area was really cool -- tons of castles.

Czech Republic: I've only done Prague (it's worth at least a few days). Others on the site have mentioned other towns that are interesting (check the E. Europe section).

Italy: My favorite country. I love Venice (make sure you spend an evening there to "feel" it after the day trippers have left. The Amalfi coast is gorgeous...and in the area are the ruins of Pompeii and Herculanaeum, the Greek temples at Paestum. And of course, Rome, the eternal city...

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote