Couple of Questions - 1st Timer - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 12-07-2004, 06:24 PM   #1
Members

I plan on doing a 16 day trip starting in Rome and ending in Zurich from 12/15 to 12/31.

I plan on doing two overnight trains (Venice to Vienna, and Prague to Frankfurt).

#1) Do I need to make train reservations for these trips?? It is the off-season and I can afford to wait a day if need be. If reservations are not essential, how early should I try to make it to an overnight train??

#2) I was thinking of getting a pair of waterproof breathable pants in case of a cold rainy day in which I still want to go sight-seeing. Any thoughts or recommendations?? There are a few pairs at REI that I like, but am not sure if they are worth bringing.

#3) I plan on staying at hostels. Are they safe to leave my large pack at during the day?? Many places say they have places to lock up bags for the day. Also I plan on bringing a bike lock or something like that to lock my bag up at night and on trains. Any other info or tips/stories on this would be great too.

Thanks so much to everyone for reading this and responding,

Adam
sailfastnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 09:54 PM   #2
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to pinion

Quote:
#1) Do I need to make train reservations for these trips?? It is the off-season and I can afford to wait a day if need be. If reservations are not essential, how early should I try to make it to an overnight train??
Yes you do need to make reservations, or atleast I have/did for every overnighter. Unless there is holiday I'd reccomend the day before. You'll find the trains are PACKED if you're riding on a holiday

Quote:
#2) I was thinking of getting a pair of waterproof breathable pants in case of a cold rainy day in which I still want to go sight-seeing. Any thoughts or recommendations?? There are a few pairs at REI that I like, but am not sure if they are worth bringing.
I like Columbia clothing. Its a bit pricey but daaamn they make good stuff.

Quote:
#3) I plan on staying at hostels. Are they safe to leave my large pack at during the day?? Many places say they have places to lock up bags for the day. Also I plan on bringing a bike lock or something like that to lock my bag up at night and on trains. Any other info or tips/stories on this would be great too.
Its hard to say if its safe or not. I'd like to say yes...but it depends on where you are. Keep your stuff locked up, if they have somewhere safe for you to stash your bag...even better. Good call on the bike lock. Just keep the bling on the d low and you'll be fine!

p
And I never will play the wild rover no more
pinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 02:11 AM   #3
TPunk Emeritus

For dryness and warmth, layers are good, too. My typical "Travel Uniform" has a zip up, hooded sweatshirt with a light, waterproof jacket thrown over it. That way in wet or really cold weather you can wear both, on milder days, one or the other.

Think darker colors, too, shows less travel dirt...

Have fun! And let us know what Venice in the Wintertime is like...supposed to be very moody and atmospheric...

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 10:23 AM   #4
TPunk Recognized

1) The only night trains that you have to make reservations for are usually either hotel trains (all couchettes) or some of the higher class trains (Zurich to Barcelona is one route). These will have an R next to them on the schedule meaning a reservation is compulsory. I don't think either of those routes are must reserves, but if you do plan on sleeping in a couchette and not a regular seat I would advise you to make the reservation either when you get into the city or at least one-two days before leaving if you have a set plan.

3) At hostels, I would just use a cable lock and attach my bag to by bed and also use small locks on the zippers. Some people call it being overly cautious, but better that then missing some important items. Some hostels idea of luggage storage is a just a big closet that anyone can grab any bag from.
skidrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 09:29 PM   #5
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to tecia

overnight trains in the off season should not be too bad. On two of my overnight trains i h\made a reservation, but one was to Pomplona for the run of the bulls and tons of people were trying to get to that. On the third overnight I made a few hours before i left. I think you would be ok but it does not hurt to make reservation

For hostels most of the ones i was in had lockers with the room coat or a small cost for a locker. If they have them there than use them. However small locks on your zippers is also good even just for walking around and your bag in on you back ( people can still get in and you would never know )
As far as missing important items Don't leave any important items in you room.
When i went i put two two extra pockets on the inside of my pants one for cash and one for my passport, eurail pass, and flight home ticket. This worked great for me!!

Have a great tirp and keep us up-to-date on you travels. If you have any other questions just ask
T

T & A rule!!!

tecia is offline   Reply With Quote