Prefer to tour with Locals or Travelers - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 10-14-2005, 11:40 AM   #1
Members

If you had the choice to spend the day doing touristy things, would you want to be around others who are seeing it for the first time like you or with locals who may know the "secret spots"?

WhereSheGoes
whereshegoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 12:27 PM   #2
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

Normally I travel with people I meet and most of the time a local gets tossed in the mix.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:37 PM   #3
TPunk Emeritus

while i like the sound of mixing with the locals i think that rarely happens, thats why i enjoy tp meet ups!

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 03:58 PM   #4
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

both. Meeting locals is a must for me. Especially to get to know how they perceive things - in a sense they are part of the place. On the other hand, I love traveling with other travelers (tpunks baby) as well as my special travel buddy

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 05:09 PM   #5
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to benna2 Send a message via MSN to benna2 Send a message via Yahoo to benna2

Usually whenever I go on a trip I end up hanging out with a mix of locals and other tourists. I find that usually when I am with the locals, I end up at some out of the way spot (like an awesome beach or cool bar) that I would have never found on my own. And it's nice to party with other tourists as well because you get to experience everything with other people that would be just as excited about it as you are!

Of course as long as everyone is friendly and cool, then I will have fun with just about anyone....locals or tourists.

Come visit me in the DR!
www.sosuavacationrentals.com
benna2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 05:27 PM   #6
Admin

Aside from tp meetups (cuz those are planned and not just happen stance), my priority would be to see the city through the eyes of the locals. They are grounded there and will give you a backdoor view and history of their hometown.
That's a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

I love having friends in other countries that I've visited. And since your time with them will be limited, the best way to build on that relationship is to spend time with them.

I would try to schedule my day so that I could do the non-touristy things with the locals (because, for the most part, they don't really do touristy things in their own country), and the touristy stuff with other travelers(eiffel tower, colesseum, Big Ben, tour buses, etc...).

But hey, I dig spending time with other travelers too! So, really, I guess in the end it really all depends on the other person, and if I would feel comfortable hanging out with them all day .

travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 05:55 PM   #7
TPunk Emeritus

Id like to hang out with locals, but like beergal said its kinda tough to meet them. Staying in hostels you mostly meet other travellers, and if there are any locals hanging around they are ususally looking to score with the foreign females. And out at bars the language barrier usually gets in the way of any meaningful conversation.
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 06:28 PM   #8
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to benna2 Send a message via MSN to benna2 Send a message via Yahoo to benna2

Quote:
Originally posted by Somnambulation@Oct 14 2005, 04:55 PM
And out at bars the language barrier usually gets in the way of any meaningful conversation.
[snapback]81322[/snapback]
Unless of course you are talking about the ever popular, trans-continental language of love!

Come visit me in the DR!
www.sosuavacationrentals.com
benna2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 08:50 PM   #9
TPunk Emeritus

Great question!

Sightseeing with the locals is my preference - not only do they know the secret spots but they seem to point out titbits of history etc that you wouldn't come across otherwise. It's also more cultural anda greater learning experience.

On the other hand the locals may take sights for granted, if you're sightseeing with another tourist you can kind of bounce feelings off each other because you're both 'in awe' of what you're seeing.

Overall in my opinion it's cool to sightsee with the locals and party with the backpackers!

ev
Old 10-14-2005, 11:29 PM   #10
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

Quote:
Sightseeing with the locals is my preference - not only do they know the secret spots but they seem to point out titbits of history etc that you wouldn't come across otherwise.
Agree completely. I'm not really into touristy things for the most part. Not meaning I don't enjoy them at all, but I'm more of a secret gem type of girl. I like going to more obscure places and learning the little things. Perhaps its my background in growing up in a small town and learning what a gem it truly is...

Anyhow, I'm just gonna ramble cuz I've drank too much...

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 03:55 AM   #11
TPunk Emeritus

One thing that I've found interesting is that many locals don't get around to seeing the sights in their own area. I can't count the number of times that, when asked by a local I just met what I've seen so far, that they respond with a "Wow, you've seen more of my country that I have!"

I don't think it's necessarily a conscious thing of "I don't want to go see these things in my own area." It's more that you assume you'll get around to seeing them sometime, and often never do. Case in point: Some of the largest Indian mound earthworks in the world are just outside of Columbus in Newark, OH. Guess which Tpunk history buff as never been to them? Yep. Moi. Of course, that should be rectified (I know, sounds painful) next Saturday when I go to them for the Moonrise over them.

That said, of course if a local wants to show you around, take the opportunity -- by all means! As TP said, seeing the country through the eyes of the local will give you more of a feel for it than anything short of living there...

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 04:02 AM   #12
Members

Talking

Wow...great thoughts here. I think the optimal situation would be having a mix of long time locals and then someone who has just moved to the area. Then you get the best of both worlds...

WhereSheGoes
whereshegoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 10:36 AM   #13
Drifter in the making.

I like to go with other travellers cause I like to be lost and always stumbling on new things... just wandering with no plan and no idea what you're about to come across is the best for me!

I will not say that your mulberry-trees are dead, but I am afraid they are not alive.
~ Jane Austen in a Letter (1811-05-31)
MolsonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 10:41 AM   #14
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Send a message via AIM to juliagulia Send a message via MSN to juliagulia

Well always travelling with family I tened to always be travelling with the locals and it was great. We always went to the places that the tourists deemed to dangerous, but were great madd fun. But when I went to Ouro Preto where I didn't have any family, I got to travel with all the other tourists. I actually met an English woman there and we translated what the tour guide was saying to her and I must admit it was great to see another person who spoke english! And it was fun to be able to see things through the eyes from the tourist. So really, it's all about variety.

Living In: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Next up!

Poland (February!)
juliagulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 02:16 AM   #15
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by MolsonGirl@Oct 15 2005, 05:36 PM
just wandering with no plan and no idea what you're about to come across is the best for me!
[snapback]81394[/snapback]
Says the former Ottawa tour guide!

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote