My first time - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 10-03-2004, 05:24 PM   #1
Members

So I've gotten my first taste of wanderlust, but now I need more. Much more. I want to plan a trip of my own, my first controlled visit to Europe, and I want to start no further west than Germany. Particularly, I want to see Munich, Berlin, and Dresden in Germany; Prague and Pilzen in the Czech Republic; Vienna in Austria; Budapest in Hungary; Ljubljana in Slovenia; and Athens, the Aegean islands, and Crete in Greece. What I want to know right now is if anybody knows of:

Cheap, safe hostels to stay
Best/Easiest/Least Expensive airports to fly into/from
Which cities mentioned above, and any I missed, are most interesting
Any personal experiences with the regions mentioned that I should probably know
Any general travel ideas/suggestions
Old 10-04-2004, 06:21 PM   #2
TPunk Emeritus

Can't help you on hostels, but you could always use the link on the Hostel finder on the Travelpunk main page. I used it when I went to Barcelona, and the place was fine (except for the curious European custom of finding nothing wrong with locking people into a building at night...cross your fingers there's no fire, buddy!).

As far as airfare, Air Berlin is a cheapie and they fly out of...well, I think you can figure that one out. Easyjet just started flying to Lubjub...er, Lubbiejubbie, ah whatever that city in Slovenia is! You could find a cheap flight to London and take easyjet from there. Just give yourself a good 4-5 hours to connect from the London airports to either Stansted or Luton.

There are lots of other low-cost airlines out there. As a matter of fact, the current issue of Arthur Frommer's Budget Travel magazine lists them and the cities many fly into.

Good luck, and feel free to post more questions!

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 06:13 PM   #3
TPunk Recognized

I can help you with some of the cities

Vienna - Stay at Wombats hostel. Reasonably priced and safe, even if it is by a lot of places that look like they could be "chop shops". It is also five minutes walking from the main train station and a couple minutes from a metro stop. The city is a little expensive though and it is a must see for people into art and classical music/opera. Otherwise, it can be a little bland.

Berlin - Circus Hostel was the best hostel I stayed at in Europe. For something cheaper, Arena Hostel is very cheap and located across the street from the Zoo Station. So much to see and do in this city, it is really an amazing place, but East Berlin has more to offer to the backpacker crowd (more culture, cheaper prices)

Munich - I was at Euro Youth Hostel. It is about five minutes walking from the train station so it is centrally located. Only about ten minutes walking from Hoftbrahaus, but it will feel much longer after a few beers there. Euro Youth Hostel is also owned by the excellent, and less touristy Augistiner Brewery. Englishcher Gardens (sp?) is a great place to just spend a day walking/biking through

Budapest - I stayed at Marco Polo Hostel. While it is nice, it is very expensive for a hostel (25 euro for dorm room). There are others that would be better value probably. The city is somewhat like Prague. It is also quite expensive for a Eastern Europe town.

Prague - I have stayed at several hostels here. I would suggest The Boathouse for an excellent hostel, but it is a 15 minute tram ride from outside the city center. For a central hostel, Apple Hostel is right in the center and about 9 euro a night, but it was not the best hostel experience (but not the worst).

For flying, www.GermanWings.com has cheap flights out of Cologne and Stuttgart to many places including some of the cities you want to go to so check them out. Since you are out in the region, Poland is worth checking out especially Krakow. Other cities to check out in Czech Republic would be Olomouc and Cesky Krumlov.
skidrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 05:00 PM   #4
Members

You say Euro Youth Hostel is walking distance from the Hofbräuhaus? I'm in like sin, that place was one of the highlights of my time in Germany. 1-liter steins of beer and pretzels the size of my head; it's an atkins nightmare and I loved every minute of it.

As for Prague, I remember seeing the Appel Hostel, it's in Namesty Republiky, right? I recall walking past it and remembering to take note of of when I got back to my notebook, but all I remembered was the name (tequila does funny things to one's memory, but god bless the fine folks at the Marquis de Sade for being so friendly with it).

Thanks for the tips!
Old 10-08-2004, 02:29 PM   #5
TPunk Recognized

You are right about the location of Apple Hostel. I did not have the best stay there as the staff was too helpful, the pillows were probably the worst excuse for a pillow I have ever seen (think of a beach towl folded in half), the toilets were broken, and the showers are communal so it feels like gym class.

Having said all that, as you know the location is very good and when I was there the price was only $9 a night I think.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:30 PM   #6
TPunk Recognized

Should say above that the staff was NOT helpful, instead of too helpful. I don't want to sound like someone complaining about someone trying to help too much.