My trip plans having logistical problems... - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 04-02-2007, 12:19 PM   #1
Artist of Life

Default My trip plans having logistical problems...

Hey everyone,

As some of you know I want to see 3 countries this summer in about 3-4 weeks... Spain, Greece and Turkey.

But i have a few problems...

First, how do I get to Pamplona? Is there an airport there, or if not, what is the closest city? Then I guess you would train it in there... and once there, where do I sleep? (I don't really want to bring a tent with me)

Second, the seqence. I want to go to Running of the Bulls, but should I go to the running in the beginning of my trip, or the end? If the beginning, then its gonna be London-Pamplona-Greece-Turkey-London-home.
If at the end it'll be London-Greece-Turkey-Spain-London-home... which seems lot more akward, but it would be great to save the partying until the end.

Third... should I even buy a Europass? Or should I just fly about here and there? I mean I europassed it last time...but i heard flying is also very good. Especially given my circumstances.

So yeah, 3 main problems that I seek the wisdom of the tpunk collective... as always I am glad to hear wat u guys think....

And I'm not sure what to see in Greece or Turkey...so if there's any must-sees, i'd be happy to know em!
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:46 AM   #2
TPunk. Recognize.

I would think that if you're really just interested in those 3 countries, flying would be a better option...There is a Greek National pass if you plan on staying there for long, but I don't think there is one for Turkey. Good luck with everything...
mbo108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:09 AM   #3
Artist of Life

yeah i guess flying would be a good choice... =)
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

Old 04-03-2007, 12:15 PM   #4
The " ... " queen of TP!

yeah, I'd fly seeing that turkey and greece arent really on the europass route. There isn't an airport in pamlona (well, ok, I dont really know but I would assume not considering it is a tiny ass town). I'd probably start out with the running of the bulls (just because spain is easier to navigate...start off easy then build confidence and move on to greece and turkey) also, the running of the bulls is a hell of an exciting way to start your trip! (and you can ditch your running shoes down the line if you feel they're too heavy). And it's not like you won't end with a good party, greece is an amazing place to party. I'm not sure about turkey though (but I AM very jealous of you going there...I've always wanted to see Istanbul and the fairy houses in Goreme) Have fun!

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:18 PM   #5
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Maineartist
Thumbs up

I like the second itinerary a lot. Greece to turkey to Spain is a good itinerary especially if you have "running of the bulls" to look forward to. As far as what to see in Greece or Turkey:

1. The Dodecanese Islands.
2. Crete.
3. Istanbul, The Hagia Sophia.
4. Troy

I wouldn't spend the money on a Greece eurailpass because generally the busses are much quicker.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:09 PM   #6
Artist of Life

Marineartist, yeah I think the 2nd one is good. What I'm just thinking that it would be akward to fly from Istanbul to Pamplona (or Bilbao??)... or perhaps the akwardness is just in my mind...

SA... good arguments to go both ways... hmm.... because my decision will depend if I start my trip in June or July....

hmmmmmm quite a dilemma....

Old 04-03-2007, 02:12 PM   #7
Artist of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineartist View Post

1. The Dodecanese Islands.
2. Crete.
3. Istanbul, The Hagia Sophia.
4. Troy
Great suggestions... I will include them in my path...