1st trip backpacking in Europe, opinions needed - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 12-03-2003, 08:52 PM   #1
Members

Hey all, I'd just like to say how helpful this board has been. Just reading all of your posts and experiences have made the whole "planning of my first backpacking trip" much easier on the mind.

I would really like everyone's opinion and feedback on my rough idea of my trip to Italy and possibly France this June.

First off, I would really like to go for 3 weeks. One option I was considering was flying into Rome from NY, spending a few days there. Then train it to Florence, Train it to Milan, Train it to Cinque Terre, Train it to Venice (with the aide of a boat ), returning to Rome, then flying home.

The other option would be to fly into rome, hit up florence, cinque terre, milan, then head over to paris, then train it back to rome. Would it be cheaper to fly into Paris though and then work my way down and then back up?

After reading the boards, Ive also budgeted around 1500 for the Italy-only trip, and around 2000 for the Italy-France option. I am going to be traveling with 3 others, so hopefully we will be able to save some costs on food shopping together and getting 4 bed private hostels.

Thanks in advance for all of your help and replies!

Steve
LostTourGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 09:10 PM   #2
TPunk Emeritus

To the boards LostTourGuide!!!! Great to have ya!!!

Personaly I like this option

Quote:
hit up florence, cinque terre, milan, then head over to paris, then train it back to rome. Would it be cheaper to fly into Paris though and then work my way down and then back up?
You will get to experience 2 very different cultures, get the cred of going to 2 different countries, and you get to enjoy the sights of Paris, which is pretty amazing!!!

I am not sure about flights from Rome to Paris? I do know there are serious cheap flights out of the UK, but I don't know if the same deals are available through out Europe.
If you can't find out, I would stick with the Eurail, the best bet when in doubt.

You $$$ looks good, 2000$ for 3 weeks, that will keep you comfortable, and since you sharing the costs its even better!

Here are some Hostel ideas for ya, just read the description to find out if you can get 4 bed private rooms, or email the hostel direct if you see one you like and it doesn't have the info...

Rome
Paris
Milan
Florence
Cinque Terre

For me, the idea of anything but "budget" travel simply does not interest me at all, I love to rough it, and stay in hostels and meet peeps from around the world, tons of peps!!! You will not get that at a Hilton Hotel!!!

You will have a great time when you go!!!!

Canadian Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 09:21 PM   #3
Members

Wow that was a fast reply, thanks Canadian Dude!

I think I didnt convey my thoughts clearly though about the rome-paris flight thing....

I am going to take a train from either paris back to rome, or rome back to paris. I was wondering if it would be cheaper to fly from ny to rome roundtrip, ny to paris round trip, or ny to rome, paris to ny...

Thanks again for the fast as hell answer though
Old 12-03-2003, 09:27 PM   #4
TPunk Emeritus

Your going at a high time of season for both of those countries, so flights might be a bit $$$, but what you can do instead of back tracking, get a ticket like this...

NY To Rome
Paris to NY

Fly into one city and out of another, i have done it about 3 times and its amazing...not back tracking and you get to maximize the time you have, and if you do not have to back track, you might even be able to hit a third country???

Canadian Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 12:42 AM   #5
TPunk Recognized

1 Question........are you a student??? if so some deals are more possible then others......plus, you have a lot of time left, so you have lots of time to shop around for flights like I am....

Good Choice on the places to go....I am going to Europe in Mid May for about 5 weeks, but I am going the opposite way....I am flying into Rome, train to Florence, train to Cinque Terre, train to Milan, and then over to Prague, Czech...train down to Sofia, Bulgaria....and then a train down to Myknos and some other of the Greek Isles, and then from there I am taking a boat down to Tel Aviv, Israel for my last week, and then I am flying out of Tel Aviv.......I decided to go East instead of West....I figure I'd like it more plus it'd less expensive......

Places I suggest looking for flights are:
Student Universe- only students are eligible for these deals
Travel Auctions
Economy Travel Site
Cheap Rail Passes

Hope this info helps!!!
-adam
AdamTheCultured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 06:23 AM   #6
Members

Yes I am a student, and so are the other three friends going with me.

I checked out EconomyTravel last night, and the lowest fare I seem to come up with is 574.00 U.S., in flying to Rome then leaving Paris. Would you say that is a fair price for the airfare?

and finally... I know I have a ton of time to still plan all this stuff out, but when would you all recommend me buying the plane tickets? Do prices usually go down closer to the date, or am I bettter off just buying the tickets in a month or so and then just sitting on them? (I know SwissAir runs a deal for like $359 and when you use your Mastercard a friend flies free, should I just gamble and see if they offer that again for the summer season?)

Cant wait to see Cinque Terre!
Old 12-04-2003, 08:45 AM   #7
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Yes I am a student, and so are the other three friends going with me.

I checked out EconomyTravel last night, and the lowest fare I seem to come up with is 574.00 U.S., in flying to Rome then leaving Paris.** Would you say that is a fair price for the airfare?
This is an fairly good price...remember that it is the BUSIEST and MOST Expensive time of year......plus remember, Flying into Rome and Out of Paris saves you the train fare of going back to Rome to catch your plane....Student Unniverse has some AWESOME fairs, but they are much more rare and hard to find......Sky Auction also seems to have great deals, but the thing with that is that you have to bid on them (kinda like a travel ebay)....so read all the fine print before you bid...and make sure the plane tickets can be used in June, and they arent just restricted to the Winter........or something.......

Quote:
and finally... I know I have a ton of time to still plan all this stuff out, but when would you all recommend me buying the plane tickets?* Do prices usually go down closer to the date, or am I bettter off just buying the tickets in a month or so and then just sitting on them?* (I know SwissAir runs a deal for like $359 and when you use your Mastercard a friend flies free, should I just gamble and see if they offer that again for the summer season?)
I was reccommended by multiple airlines that the best time to purchase the ticket is 3-4 monthes before departure....thats usually when the price gets the lowest.

Quote:
Cant wait to see Cinque Terre!**
Yeah for sure!!! I am meeting my family in Florence and then we are going to Cinque Terre....Its going to be SO beautiful and relaxed...I just hope there is enough of a party scene for my Brother, my sister, and I.........BTW, if you find a really good deal flying roundtrip from New York to Rome then let me know...my brother lives in NY, and hes looking for a good priced ticket as well........
AdamTheCultured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 06:00 AM   #8
Members

Will do Adam... Ive had about 5 people tell me that they 100% def wanted to join me on my trip, at this rate, my screenname really wont be far from the truth!