Late Spring/Summer 2008 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 03-02-2007, 09:54 PM   #1
Dex
Members

Default Late Spring/Summer 2008

Hello everyone, I have some pretty general (stupid?) questions that I thought the experienced travelers here could help me out with.

I'm a high school junior and my grandmother told me at Christmas she's going to give me a rather nice monetary gift for my graduation so I should start thinking what I want to do with it. Well, it didn't take me much thought as I've always wanted to travel and backpacking across Europe has really fascinated me for a long time. I've never really traveled anywhere outside my country (USA), except Canada so I'm a total newb to backpacking, but not to solo travel or travel within north am.

I'll have four months to play with (early May to late aug 2008, just before i start college in the fall). Was thinking of starting toward the middle (portugal, spain, france) then heading south to italy and greece before working my way north as it gets warmer.

This trip is really only in the very early stages of planning - if you can even call it that now, but I was hoping to get some ideas for destinations or itineraries. Italy (Rome specifically and somewhere along the coast maybe), Greece (Athens for sure and am open to suggestions for any of the islands), Paris, and Interlaken (woo, adventure sports!) are a must. I'd also like to get up to Ireland. As for other places, it's kind of why I'm here asking for ideas.

I really like to have a good time and I'm very flexible so no route will be set in stone, but sitting down to plan something like this is pretty overwhelming. Just don't know where to start. (I know it's early but it's a lot to think about). I like history (realllly like history) and culture and meeting new people, and adventure in general.

Oh, i'll be going alone and i'll turn 17 on the trip a couple weeks in (weird I know, kind of a long story). Hopefully my age won't be a problem.

So I guess my general questions are: what were your favorite places to go (Eastern OR Western europe) that you'd reccommend to a first time solo backpacker? Any specific routes that seemed to work for you or was winging it the best part?

Are there any handy tips you wish someone had passed on to you the first time you went?

I'd really like to do eastern and western europe, but is four months long enough to do that, or should I stick to W.Europe?

And the big ones that are worrying me: is four months TOO long? Is 17 too young? (A lot of people are telling me yes, but i don't think so - that could be just because i really want this so much, or maybe just overconfidence on my part....so a little advice from people who've "been there, done that" would be nice).

If I think of any others later I'll post them here.

Thanks to anyone/everyone who takes the time to read and respond to this novel. I'm so freakin' excited for this experience even though it seems like such a long way away!
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:18 AM   #2
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

Some hostels have age restrictions (18-35 usually) but I doubt they would be that aggressive with a near 18 year old.

Four months is just about perfect imo. I would probably leave yourself at least a week to recover from the trip though.

For a first timer in Europe, I would recommend starting in an English speaking country (Ireland or Britain) or one where damn near everyone speaks English (Norway, Sweden, Denmark, the Netherlands etc). Of course if you are fluent in Spanish*, French, German or what have you, this is not as big a deal.

Where you go really depends on what you are interested in and what you are comfortable with. Haivng 4 months I think I would be tempted to do a loop. Maybe Dublin or London, (fly to) Spain, Southern France, Italy, Greece, Switzerland, Austria, Hungary, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Germany, Scandinavia, France and back home.

Since time is not much of a factor, try to stay at least 3 days everywhere you go. In the larger cities shoot for 4 or 5. I liked to alternate large cities (Milan or Rome) with smaller ones (Venice or Florence).

Your money will go further in Easter Europe than it does in the west. Scandinavia, London (I think Britain in general), and Switzerland are very expensive.

I read a thread on this messageboard of a guy traveling solo and he ended up getting a bad, lonely feeling and cashed in his return ticket within 3 or 4 days of landing in London. While I never did that, I totally understand why he would. There is something about flying to Europe that gives me a unsettled feeling (usually it is a combination of not sleeping and my body thinking it is 3am but it being bright daylight outside). Apparently this does not go away with time, because I have flown there 4 times and I get it each one. You just have to let it work itself out. But having an itinerary for the 4-5 days helps, as well as not bouncing from city to city.

You are going to Europe at a great time both seasonally and in your life. Have fun!

--Joey

*Being that you are now leaving High School, I am guessing that you studied a language for at least two years. Now would be a good time to reinforce what you learned with a language CD and phrasebook. Or if you are planning electives for next year, try to pick up another language. Learning French is probably the most useful (since the French are often reluctant to speak English) throughout Europe but German is also handy as is learning the basics for each country (Hello, please, thank you, you are welcome, excuse me, do you speak English, etc)
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 05:39 PM   #3
Dex
Members

Thanks for the advice, man.

I'm in my third year of spanish right now, and I'll probably take another year next year. I'm doing pretty well, so starting in spain wouldn't upest me, but starting in an english speaking country is a really good idea. Do you think London or Dublin would be too cool in May?
Old 03-04-2007, 08:57 PM   #4
No one regrets traveling

Both are great cities but London will be more familiar (quick name three things in each city... I bet you struggle on Dublin )

I would base that decision on the cheapest flight across the atlantic. If you can fly to London cheaper do that. If you fly into Dublin (or Shannon and work your way to Dublin) Aer Lingus flies to Heathrow which is on the Picadilly line in London, so it is easy/cheapish to get into the center. Gatwick requires a train that is about 30 bucks if I recall correctly.

Spain Spanish is a little different than what we learn so just be aware. Btw, I studied Spanish in an immersion language school in Andalucia (Marbella with Enforex) that is a cheap way of staying (family accomodation is/was 20 euros a night with breakfast, dinner and laundry included) plus your Spanish sky rockets in fluency. Just something to consider

--Joey
Old 03-04-2007, 09:02 PM   #5
No one regrets traveling

Not sure if by "too cool" you mean the hip factor or the weather...

Both should be warm by May. Check out the Weather Underground for forecasts from last year.

--Joey
Old 03-05-2007, 08:27 PM   #6
Dex
Members

Yes, I meant the weather.

When did you do the immersion language school? It sounds like a very cool and helpful idea.

(oh, and from earlier, I'll probably have between four to eight days to recover)
Old 03-05-2007, 09:43 PM   #7
No one regrets traveling

I attended the language school from Mid January 06-Mid March 06 with a three week break to tour Italy and go to the Olympics. http://www.enforex.com/spain-marbella.html

I recommend it

--Joey