Dilemma... - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 07-13-2004, 11:21 AM   #1
Members

Send a message via AIM to tabbs

I'm planning a trip to Western Europe next summer for about 2 months, give or take a week. I am really into the historical stuff....the castles, museums, ruins, etc. which is why I plan to spend more time in England and Germany than anywhere else. I'm also going to Italy, Scotland, and the Swiss Alps. Now: France. I was thinking about possibly just going to Paris and nowhere else so as to have more time in Germany. Or should I shave off a couple weeks of Germany time to look at France? What do you all think?

Just a simple Southern California gurly....
tabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 11:39 AM   #2
Yoda

The Loire Valley in France is loaded with historical Chateaux. Paris is wonderful and if you're going to be over there anyway, you should try to see it. The rest of France is lovely as well but it sounds like you already have a lot on your plate!! Have a great time!
Old 07-13-2004, 11:50 AM   #3
***** Senior *********

Location: WANTED! dead or at a meet-up ..... reward first round on Me
Send a message via Yahoo to Rozza

how historicle do you wnat to go?

Past Trip Albums:
Norway '05 Album

"'Kings. What a good idea.'Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tenedency to bend at the knees."
- Terry Prachett
Rozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 11:56 AM   #4
Members

ummmm.....what do you mean? I like the old castles and ruins....stuff from like 700+ years ago.

Old 07-13-2004, 04:39 PM   #5
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to TheWills

2 years ago I was in Southern France in the area around Toulouse, its quite historical there man, I would say that france has a lot more history then Germany rember germany wasnt united till mid 1800's or so, so france has a lot of military history. I have been to Germany many times (as I have German parents) and they are prosbably the best country to go too for churches besides iTaly, alot of religious history in germany such as the reformation and martin luther (I went to the castle where he hid out to write his thesis very cool) and schloss swanstein which is all very good stuff, however dont neglgt france, they have some really good histroy as well. I would say spend a little extra time in france maybe a week or so. If you go to the Toulouse region check out Alby a city about 1 hour away give or take, it had this massive chrurch that doubles as a fortress its all made of brick so it would have been built in the 17th-18th century, very cool worth checking out, and eat the duck a must die for food in that region.
Will
TheWills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 07:31 PM   #6
TPunk Emeritus

I know I'm going to make all the romantics chicks on the Boards my everlasting enemy by saying this, but:
Paris sucks. In my 53 countries, I have to say it is the most overrated city in the world.

I have to echo Newbie, though, southern France is loaded with history. I went to Provence (I know, I know) for a week and loved it. Mediterranean climate and scenery, and roman ruins and castles everywhere you look.

Germany's got lots of castles, too, though. So, if you're shaving time off Germany for just Paris, I'd say don't. If you're reconsidering, then I'd say take a serious look at southern France, especially Provence. Oh, and if you want to talk about a castle, check out Southwest France's Carcassonne -- now THAT's a castle!

worldwidemike (watching his back for Paris-ophiles... )
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 11:24 PM   #7
Members

haha thanks guys, I'll definitely think about your advice. I didnt really know that South France was castle-loaded. I'll have to check that out.

Thanks

Old 07-13-2004, 11:31 PM   #8
Members

Send a message via AIM to browneyedgrrl

Tabbs, I seriously hope you have a digi cam and plan on taking lots of pics! That sounds like such a fun trip.
"There's an opposite of deja vu. They call it jamais vu. It's when you meet the same people or visit places, again and again, but each time is the first. Everybody is always a stranger. Nothing is ever familiar."

http://www.randomhouse.com/boldtype/0501/p...uk/excerpt.html

I *love* Chuck Palahnuik
browneyedgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 11:46 PM   #9
Members

Oh yeah! Of course! I plan on taking a TON of pictures- I'll probably put some on here just to show y'all too. I am so excited and I still have whole year! Blah. I dont want to wait. :P

Old 07-17-2004, 04:33 PM   #10
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to TheWills

Yeah man, southern france is really nice especially in summer there are sunflowers everywhere and small rolling hills its great. Paris I hear is really dirty and not very friendly, but I do wanna make a stop and visit the louvre and eiffle tower and whatnot. Now on to castles France is full of them, they have been a part of every major euro war since the beginning of the country so check out versaille and shit like that, Germany is rockin for castles too however they are gonna be generally more middle aged where France has baroque and so on and so forth, the french were always with the times so there will be good veriaty.
TheWills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 08:38 AM   #11
Members

hmm paris the most overrated city in the world. thats the first time ive ever heard that. im no romantic chick but i thought paris was just plain awesome. museums, tons of restaurants and cafes, churches, the food, night cruise on river seine, the food, historical monuments, and the food. i mean, they really know how to live. i even saw a bunch of french dudes serenading a bunch of french chicks on the damn sidewalk, way cool. i dont know what it is, maybe its just the way the city was designed. i read it was designed for armies to be able to travel more easily through the streets during the revolution. big wide open spaces make it easier for armies to mow down the peasants with the pitchforks, haha.
check out paris for sure tabbs
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 05:24 PM   #12
Members

heyy
well if u want castles u can def find them in france... theres a region in the northeast of the country which lies between the rhine and the vosges mountains along the german border which is full of them (it also shares a border w/ switzerland). its called alsace and it has a culture and language of its own (sort of a mix of french and german). well anyways theres hundreds of castles there that were built by either the french or the germans to protect the passes going through the mountains. most of the castles are ruins now, but a few are restored, and one of them haut-koenigsbourg (i think thats how its spelled) was rebuilt by kaiser wilhelm to resemble what it would have looked like in the middle ages, furniture and all. its awesome. also there are a lot of really nice towns/cities in the region, (walled medieval looking villages surrounded by mountains whose sides are covered in vineyards). strasbourg (where the european parliament is located) is a really nice city worth visiting too. its got a huge cathedral made of pink stone and theres a lot of medieval half timbered architecture in the city... also theres a few universities there so theres a lot going on... kronenbourg (1664) is brewed there and heineken has a brewery too. colmars really nice too. if ur gonna be in germany id say try and get over to france for sure, its a great country with a lot going on.
chronik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 03:08 AM   #13
T-PUNK PRIVATE

i don't know about you guys, but i think paris is coooooooolll!! it's so beautiful i actually yelled when i saw louvre damn, it's good. hey worldwidemike, maybe you travelled too much so you can't see how beautiful paris is. it was my first trip to europe so you can imagine how awed i was. the thing is, parisians can't speak english, and i mean REALLY can't speak english, even the salesgirl at the mall! i had to use body languange to show them what i mean. fortunately, i was lucky and got help from a mademoiselle who parle francais et anglais perfectly. people there not too nice, just mind their own bussiness i guess..

btw, i'm planning to go to w.e too! i'll be visiting my buddy in nurnberg and hit off somewhere else, may be we could go together..
pasique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 08:33 AM   #14

Hey, you guys made me so curious about all this CASTLE-TALK, does anyone have a website with posted pictures of these places??? PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ post it here so we can appreciate it. Thanks.
jorgino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 05:03 PM   #15
Members

If you want historical stuff, I say take some time to visit the Loire valley. The castles and cathedrals abound, and it's a beautiful region. Plus, a little muscadet wine never hurt anybody.