Where are you from and why does it ROCK there? - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 09-07-2005, 06:13 PM   #21
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to bookofkels Send a message via Yahoo to bookofkels

well i live in Co,Tyrone in N'Ireland and we have rocks lots of them in fact, hey shit loads of mountains

Old 09-07-2005, 11:04 PM   #22
TPunk Recognized

I was just gonna say how much Austin, Texas rocks, but after reading Omisan's post I just wanna move to SF.

But Austin does rock.

mowark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:18 PM   #23
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to weirdbeard

I bet Austin does rock. I'd like to go to SXSW next year.
weirdbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 01:06 PM   #24
***** Senior *********

Location: WANTED! dead or at a meet-up ..... reward first round on Me
Send a message via Yahoo to Rozza

Isle Of Man, UK.

Its not bad really, great place for many adventure sports, Kayaking and sailing especially, also hiking (but not peak bagging since we only 'just' have a mountain at just over 600 m ) we have great climbing, but not a very good climbing scene strangely enough... you can circumnavigate the Island in about 4 days (taking your time) in the a Kayak and theres some great tidal races, most notabley the Calf sound and the Point of Ayre. Also theres the TT which is a Big bike festival and two weeks of road races, but massive crowds , then later in the year the manx GP which is the same course as the TT, but without the crowds, or the festival, and no prize money.

Past Trip Albums:
Norway '05 Album

"'Kings. What a good idea.'Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tenedency to bend at the knees."
- Terry Prachett
Rozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 07:59 PM   #25
Yoda

Okay okay, so here are a few reasons why Seattle rocks:

-Topography. We're surrounded on both sides by large bodies of water and two large mountain ranges. Makes sunrises and sunsets absolutely breathtaking, plus it means you're only 30-40 minutes away from serious camping, hiking, mountain/rock climbing and skiing/snowboarding areas. (30-40 minutes from DOWNTOWN.) And generally speaking, you don't have to go far-- I mean, not more than blocks to get a breathtaking view of something, whether it's water or the Olympics or the Cascades (okay, that's only a teensy part of the Cascades, lol) or freaking Mt. Rainier. There are several National Parks and a National Monument (Mt. St. Helens) in the area for all kinds of fun and really, really clean air. And we have the REI Flagship store.

-Food. There are probably only an average number of restaurants here, but it's on the high end of average, and the quality of food is overall simply outstanding. "Northwest Cuisine" is de rigeur but we have an amazing hodge podge of wonderful places ranging from Nepali/Tibetan to Scandinavian. And they're good.

-Music. I don't think I need to elaborate much here... Jimi, Kurt, Eddie... they only start the list. And the live music scene is fantastic.

-Now for the not-so-great stuff... yeah, Starbucks was started here, as was Microsoft and Boeing; Costco is based here as is Nordstrom and other corporate giants. But also some cool, fun, indie companies too. And REI.

-Bruce Lee. 'Nuff said.

-Space Needle (especially on New Year's Eve). 'Nuff said.

-Okay, yeah, the Mariners suck. But Ichiro doesn't!!

-People are actually nice. It's true.

-AMAZING microbrew beers abound (but I wouldn't be hubristic enough to say that the PNW corners the market on that).

Why on earth do I feel like I'm forgetting something? Oh yeah, the other reason Seattle rocks is because my friends and I live here-- and those friends include ScarlotteDorian and KingCrazyLegs.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:51 PM   #26
I'll rock your socks off

I love seattle, the little lovely bit I got to spend there...

Austin does rock. For a lot of reasons.. and stuff. WE HAVE LESLIE.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom

bellelass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 11:49 PM   #27
You want fries with that?

I'll echo Julia's post.

I'm a born-and-raised Batimoron, and I can attest to the fact that this area is a helluva lotta fun.

We have the Chesapeake Bay. period. Largest estuary in the world IIRC, with an abundance of food that is incomparable.

And I work in Annapolis, and its one of the coolest towns around. The sailboats, the bars, the history (The US Naval Academy is there), really slick town. Of course, I work at the Yacht Club as a sometimes-chef so...

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 12:51 AM   #28
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

thanks Jeanie - makes me proud to be a new Seattleite!

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 03:38 AM   #29
TPunk Emeritus

Columbus, Ohio. Hmm...why DOES Columbus rock, if it in fact rocks at all?

Well, it's a nice place to live (rather boring to visit, though). Low cost of living relatively, which makes it all the more affordable to go traveling! We have all four seasons, which at times is a plus, and at other times a minus. Great Autumns, though...this is my favorite time of the year.

We have The Ohio State University, home throughout the years to football coaches who take conservative play calling to a new level. OSU is the world's largest university (measured by students) on one campus or some such stipulation like that.

And we are very centrally located...I forget what huge percentage of the U.S. population is within an 8 hour drive of here, but it's amazing...

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:27 AM   #30
Members

Send a message via MSN to KingJawsh

Waterloo, Ontario.... and well it doesnt rock... but we do have the cheapest bar i have ever found... $1.75 and beer of mixed drink....
Old 09-14-2005, 11:44 AM   #31
Members

Send a message via MSN to horsepuppy Send a message via Yahoo to horsepuppy

Quote:
Originally posted by KingJawsh@Sep 14 2005, 11:27 AM
Waterloo, Ontario.... and well it doesnt rock... but we do have the cheapest bar i have ever found... $1.75 and beer of mixed drink....
[snapback]76871[/snapback]
I dunno...I like Waterloo...the home of the Blackberry (for all you tech-heads), Mongolian Grill (make-your-own stir-fry!), and...well, that's it I guess...

Still, coming from Hamilton there's something to be said for clean air lol...stupid steel mills

We do have the Niagara Escarpment ("the mountain" to all you out-of-towners)...Lake Ontario provides some great views as well...as long as you ignore the dead fish floating by...

I have an interview with Hamilton Tourism later today, so wish me luck j/k!

horsepuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 12:08 PM   #32
Members

Exclamation

Whoa...Edmonton gas prices just dropped drom 113 to 97.4 overnight...just another reason...

WhereSheGoes
whereshegoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 09:00 AM   #33
Members

Send a message via MSN to zero

I live in Minnesota...!
It rox because we have a lake everywhere you turn...
Good Fishing Good Hunting... Snowmobiling... Good Downhill skiing "LUTSEN"! woooo hooooo Great Views From just about anywhere. And Yes it's true... We are very nice people. We have the largest mall in The United States. The Best Clinic In the WORLD! "Mayo" Plus We have the Biggest ball of Twine in the World! yes folks its true Darwin Minnesota... So I suppose We Rock... But ya we love Canada you are our Cancun.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:04 PM   #34
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to afterlife3

Birmingham, Alabama. Great place for outdoor kind of stuff. So many trees that you will get sick of them. Rich history, if your a history kind of person. Good art scene(in the city that is). If your not a huge fan of the cold. If you like tornados and weather of all kinds except not as much snow(we do get it now and again). Great place for all sports. Many lakes and rivers to go canoeing and skiing. Great hiking.
"The enormity of our endeavor excaped us in those moments; all we could see was the dust on the road ahead and ourselves on the bike, devouring kilometers in our flight northward."- Ernesto Che Guevara

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page. -St. Augustine

http://www.travelpunk.com/boards/index.php..._album&album=14
afterlife3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 07:58 PM   #35
TPunk Emeritus

I'm from Delaware (currently 5 mins over the border in PA though).

Why Delaware is halfway decent to visit:

- Dewey and Rehobeth Beach: It's a beach

- Two hour drive to NYC and Baltmore, 3 hours to DC, and 30 mins from Philly

- University of Delaware: Very popular school, awesome parties/clubs/weird shops

- Takes 10-20 minutes to drive across or 2 hours to drive top to bottom.

Yeah its that awesome

"If I had a kid I'd f**k it. Then kill it. Then f**k it again." Seattle 2006

blog of travels and such
flickr

Currently located in HAWAII

Been to: Alaska, Bahamas, Canada, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Hawaii, Spain, Switzerland - - also meetups in Chicago, LA, and Seattle
blinkchick2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 01:06 AM   #36
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

Chicago originally. 'nough said.

Phoenix currently. Desert, Sand, Heat. Only good thing is Arizona State Uni and the girls that go there!
Old 09-20-2005, 04:19 AM   #37
T-PUNK SPECIAL FORCES

I’m from Manchester.

Manchester rocks as it’s the best place to live in England, There are so many bars to suit every taste and it’s the city with the most Universities in England, so its forever young!

We have free bars that are open until 2.00 & some fantastic clubs that are open until 6.00.

Its home to the most famous Football Club in England, Manchester United, and has nurtured (and still is nurturing if you look hard enough) some of the most famous bands in England.

Its bags cheaper than London, to live eat and drink, and Manchester people are well known for being the most friendly in the UK.

Its an hour on the train to the beautiful Lake District, under an hour to Wales, and just over 2 hours heading south to London and 3 hours to Scotland.

Love it!!

Dance like no-one's watching
Sing like no-one's listening
Love like you've never been hurt
And eat chocolate like it won't make you fat
Chocolaty Claire is offline   Reply With Quote