Becoming conservative as you age? - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 11-13-2005, 12:08 AM   #21
Don't cut the red wire...

Send a message via MSN to The Monsignor Send a message via Yahoo to The Monsignor

I'm pretty patriotic, I like what we've got going in the U.S., and I'd like for it to continue to be available for my kids.

Some things that the Republican party stands for - such as the war on drugs - I don't completely agree with, cause we waste far too much money on it, and jail far too many people for what are, in essence, non-violent offenses. In the meantime, the small percentage of habitual criminals (the violent ones) keep going through the revolving door prison system, simply because we don't have the space or the resources to keep them put away. On the other hand, the runaway social programs proposed by the left and the huge dependence on the federal government to solve everyone's problems keeps me from identifying myself as a democrat. Like the hurricane in Louisiana, everyone seems to point to the federal government as the responsible party for all the fiascos that happened, but, to me, the finger needs to be pointed much more locally, since it was poor prior planning, terrible fiscal restraint and lack of preparation and protective works that caused the bulk of the problems.

I don't believe in relying on the government any more than I have to. I don't want my government in my life any more than is absolutely necessary, and I certainly don't trust them to make decisions in my 'best interest'

The problem with the two-party system is that there is little middle ground. I can't identify myself with one group or another without a whole bunch of assumptions being made about me (incorrectly). Therefore, I am 'sorta' republican, and 'more' civil libertarian. (funny, the Reagan Republicans are more what used to be known as liberals a hundred or so years ago than the modern liberals are today)

Make war, not love! It's safer!

The Monsignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 01:42 AM   #22
Members

Did yall know Bush has a machine that spawns hurricanes?
travelguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 02:47 AM   #23
Yoda

"don't drionk the koool aid" is all I gots to say.

DI ddd I mention the amount of b ourbon I've had this evenign?
Old 11-13-2005, 02:59 AM   #24
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to weirdbeard

I wouldn't say I've become more conservative with my older age but I would say that I've lost the raw idealism that I once had. Thinking I could change the world so easily. I have still retained my beliefs in Civil liberties as we all have mentioned, gay marriage pro-abortion, etc. but I take fiscal matters and knee-jerk Government spending more seriously. This has to do with learning more about the value of money as I've grown older I believe. I agree with Joker about both parties being the same animal. It all about who controls what. I'm currently reading an excellent book by George Orwell called Homage to Catalonia that deals with left and right wing politics, horrors and comedies of war during the Spanish Civil War. It's really funny the way he describes the battle for control between the facists and the anarchists but there are so many political parties involved that the true revolutionaries,the anarchists, get swallowed up by the communists due to their complete lack of arms and organization. I highly recommend it.
weirdbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 03:55 AM   #25
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to goyincognito Send a message via MSN to goyincognito

Quote:
Originally posted by travelguy@Nov 13 2005, 08:40 AM
damn, notice something here?

the folk who are kinda right wing kinda say they are kinda registered republican. what are you afraid of? being devoured by the masses? just say what you mean
[snapback]86611[/snapback]
Yeah, just terrified.

Third parties don't hold any clout in the US, which is why I make the point that I'm registered with a major party. If one says one is a libertarian, one is generally thought of as a fringe third party member existing outside the mainstream and is generally written off as nonparticipatory - I don't care what anyone thinks, but I try to affect change and express my views from within party lines instead of without, which is the only way it can be done in American politics.

Every little bit helps, yeah?
Old 11-13-2005, 05:39 AM   #26
lover of Germany

I dunno if its a question of more conservative rather than you get more mellow as you age. For example a lot of people thought Peter Cook got more right wing as he got older but considering the plays he wrote as a teenager he actually got more left wing as he aged. Its more towards the center in my opinion.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 05:59 AM   #27

Send a message via AIM to xanthuos Send a message via MSN to xanthuos Send a message via Yahoo to xanthuos

Quote:
Originally posted by goyincognito@Nov 13 2005, 04:55 AM
Yeah, just terrified.* *

Third parties don't hold any clout in the US, which is why I make the point that I'm registered with a major party.* If one says one is a libertarian, one is generally thought of as a fringe third party member existing outside the mainstream and is generally written off as nonparticipatory - I don't care what anyone thinks, but I try to affect change and express my views from within party lines instead of without, which is the only way it can be done in American politics.

Every little bit helps, yeah?
[snapback]86672[/snapback]
I think third parties do hold clout but aren't given their full due.

If I ever run for political office, it will likely be under the Democratic ticket...because if I ran as a Republican, I'd never get anywhere with my stances on "legislating morality" - abortion, gay marriage, drugs, prostitution, etc.

Look, I don't even follow the Libertarian platform blindly. There are some things that I don't agree with in the Libertarian party. I think it's a step in the right direction, though, to identify myself as a Libertarian, to help foster a break in the stranglehold that the two parties have on the US political arena.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:15 AM   #28
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to goyincognito Send a message via MSN to goyincognito

Quote:
Originally posted by xanthuos@Nov 13 2005, 03:59 PM
I think third parties do hold clout but aren't given their full due.

If I ever run for political office, it will likely be under the Democratic ticket...because if I ran as a Republican, I'd never get anywhere with my stances on "legislating morality" - abortion, gay marriage, drugs, prostitution, etc.

Look, I don't even follow the Libertarian platform blindly.* There are some things that I don't agree with in the Libertarian party.* I think it's a step in the right direction, though, to identify myself as a Libertarian, to help foster a break in the stranglehold that the two parties have on the US political arena.
[snapback]86686[/snapback]
I take your point, but that's about as far as you'll get in lessening that stranglehold. Let's face it, any de facto reform involving empowerment of third parties would require a fundamental change in the structure of the US political system, which of course requires a Constitutional amendment (at least one) requiring 2/3 majority in the Senate and House, meaning the big two parties would be voting to eliminate their own power. Not gonna happen. I suppose you could argue that the third parties could empower themselves with adequate funding, but the big two can and would find a way to stop that without question.

And I never suggested you followed the platform blindly - quite the opposite, in fact; despite the fact that the libertarian agenda is only exercised on a small scale locally and in some cases at the state level, many people who claim themselves libertarians are issues-based voters, especially since they have no adequate representation at the federal level. They'll go after issues irrespective of party lines, as social libertarianism is a mostly left-wing viewpoint (anti-gun control notwithstanding, of course) whereas fiscal libertarianism is far to the right.

The reason I would argue for running with Reps or participating in the GOP is that they have a strong reform agenda regarding the financial aspect (such an agenda is much more difficult to find in the Democratic Party), and there are plenty of moderate Reps who are against the religious right and "Big Brother" ways of thinking. In fact, I've read plenty of mention of "libertarian Republicans" vs "Christian conservatives"--or rather the freedom curtailing religious social agenda aspect of the right--separating them almost as though they were two separate parties, even though both tend to be allied on fiscal issues.

To each his own, though, non?

Old 11-13-2005, 12:11 PM   #29
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Send a message via AIM to juliagulia Send a message via MSN to juliagulia

i don't believe in social security and welfare but i do in reduced medical assistance to minors and senior citizens. i dunno it just irks me that if someone screws up their life they can just get free money... but then again the constitution says "provide for the general welfare" but I think sometimes that's taken too literal and taken too far.

There are some things that I disagree with in both parties. I just disagree more with the Republicans. So, I associate myself with the Democrats. I'm still a minor, so I'm not registered and I don't know how i will register once I can (either Independent or Democrat). I don't think I could ever register for a third party because, honestly, the U.S. has had a two party system ever since the Federalists and the Anti-Federalists with brief brief brief periods of three parties either where the third party diminishes or (as in the case of the Republican party) they become one of the major two parties.

I don't really see that happening today so, I'd rather vote for a democrat or liberal Republican who I don't completely agree with then vote for someone who will probably never get close to winning (which is rather unfortunate because I probably agree with their views more...)

Living In: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Next up!

Poland (February!)
juliagulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 01:00 PM   #30
Members

Send a message via AIM to NashPCH

I am a registered Democrat, a rarity in Phoenix but my viewpoints are so all over the place that I can't really align myself with too much mainstream thought.

I would say as I've gotten older my viewpoints have become alot more liberal, and that's hugely due to the travelers that I've met and stayed in contact with. Hearing educated viewpoints from around the world opened my eyes quite a bit.

At the same time, I too have noticed myself being more focused and refined in my personal thoughts on what I want for my life -- if that makes sense -- and trying to make wiser choices from there.

Writer's Collective - Project Forever Writer's Collective

NashPCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 08:20 PM   #31
You want fries with that?

Julia, FYI: As an Independant in Maryland, you cannot vote in the primary elections since the primaries require affiliation with a politcal party. Pick one or the other and stick with it, but vote your mind.

For those that dont get that:

In MD, primaries are held for the two major parties because the smaller parties can't often field enough candidates. As a registered independant, you cannot vote in the primary due to state election law. You must choose to register to be able to choose from the primary candidates. Many folks that live in Baltimore City, for instance, register as Democrats despite GOP-leanings because the city is so heavily Democratic that its the only way for them to get a voice/choice in electoral matters.

Sucks, but you can't always sit on the fence.

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 12:39 AM   #32
T-PUNK PRIVATE

I think It's just that many people just want stability as they age, dont want their life changing. It's not for everyone, but just a thought
Old 11-14-2005, 07:30 AM   #33
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by travelguy@Nov 12 2005, 08:26 PM
What explains this?
[snapback]86554[/snapback]
When you start owning property and having kids, etc - and assume more responsibility for yourself and others - you will naturally take some more conservative positions in order to protect your hard-earned "assets." And you will expect others to do the same as well. In short, literally getting "parental."

I've remained fairly consistent all along though - cherry-picking various parts from conservatism, liberalism and libertarianism. I'd say I hang slightly left and would probably ID as Libertarian/3rd party overall, though.

voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 03:06 PM   #34
Members

I get more outspoken the older I get. i used to be so conservative wehn I was younger, used to be sooo concerned what other people thought of me, and just wanted to divert all attention away from myself. However, the older I got, the more I stopped caring, adn realised I have some very deepset beliefs, and was a lot more radical thatn I had thought. I'm really politically active now, am always rallying for things, and work only in social firms, shelters, and do tons of voluntary work. I've also become more confident in how I look and am not afriad to show it off or draw attention to myself. It took me until I was 21 to wear a tank top for the first time ever, I felt naked! I think as you get older you get more confident and that can take different forms for people.
trailer_park_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 03:23 PM   #35
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Send a message via AIM to juliagulia Send a message via MSN to juliagulia

yeah that's why I haven't actually decided independent yet (in reference to joker... i dont feel like quoting... im using fast reply..) if it weren't for that teeny tiny detail, i would probably say that I would go independent since I wouldn't NOT vote for someone simply because they are republican or not democrat... I personally think that the law makes sense though... does suck for independents though...

yay! i can vote in the next presidential election!

Living In: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Next up!

Poland (February!)
juliagulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 07:24 AM   #36
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

I think I've just formulated beliefs as I've gotten older. When I was younger, I didn't follow anything political and didn't really know where I stood on a lot of things. I've now developed a lot more.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 09:53 AM   #37
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by xanthuos@Nov 12 2005, 09:33 PM
I am personally against government-administered assistance programs - Medicaid/Medicare, welfare, food stamps, Social Security, farm subsidies, etc.

However, I am very liberal when it comes to social issues & freedoms...unlike the Republican party of today, I am for the least governmental intereference as possible - including issues like abortion, gay marriage, prostitution, etcetera - so called "value" issues.* I am for equal rights for EVERYONE.* Absolutely a free-speech advocate, completely for the absolute separation of church & state,* and for the right to own and carry handguns.

You may be thinking...that sounds a lot like my views!* Is there some sort of political party out there that espouses these views?* Why, my friend, there just happens to be such a party...it's called the Libertarian party.
[snapback]86569[/snapback]
Sounds like that actually describes a lot of Gen Xrs here. I just wish more people would take those crucial first steps to help make platforms like this a party of the future. Any movement just needs to attain a critical mass before it becomes self-sufficient and slowly competitive. You have to start sometime, or it will never change. If only more people could think progressively outside the 2-party box...

All the 2-party system does is split, polarize and thus neutralize the largest voting bloc - the Middle Class - with diversionary issues of "low" national priority like gay marriage. The balance and fate of the nation gets tipped by these special interest swingvotes. Instead of voting on all our vital common interests, we end up voting on our minor differences.

I think what really needs to evolve to facilitate better representation is the actual VOTING PROCESS, though. For example, why not use ranked/preferential voting?
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 05:39 PM   #38
An Optimistic Realist.

Send a message via AIM to Sijuki Send a message via MSN to Sijuki Send a message via Yahoo to Sijuki

Here I thought I responded to this, but that must have been another political thread.

I have lost some of the liberal views I had in high school. Although I had extreme left wing views for smaller gov't, nothing as vast as the U.S. I read the communist manifesto, considered myself a Marxist thinker, and even caused a stalmate in our mock election as my vote, which was the final vote would have been the tie breaker between Dole,Clinton, and Perot, but alas it was for the World Workers Party candidate. I have even voted for, supported, and discussed with the World Workers Party. I am however much more right wing (conservative) when it comes to this country. The U.S. is a capitalist society, it was built by people who worked hard and sacrificed for their own good. Now usually those people supported those around the, family, friends, a city, etc. The poor have always been the poor, and as bad as we think it is here, it gets worse around the world. I feel that Americans that are born here have come to expect good things and wealth to accumulate for them. While immigrants will bust their ass doing crappy jobs just to provide a better life for their children. Which is the biggest problem I see with the U.S., people don't appreciate what they have, and are quick to shun our country for some 'grass is greener on the other side' story. Is the U.S. perfect? no. Are we the best? I watched a video once that interviewed people 100% of immigrants said the U.S. was the best country in the world, only 30% of U.S. citizens did. Are these accurate statistics, no. But why are people so eager to get in, when the people here don't care either way?

I am pro-small business, pro-small gov't, pro-life, and align with many other conservative views. I also believe that people should be left to their own vices. Libertarian is probably more my deal. I am not a card carrying member of any political party, but politicians know who gets my vote.

I am currently supporting and working for the campaign of Dick DeVos to become governor of Michigan in 2006. He is republican, he is the son of the founder of Amway. He promises us jobs, which is worth a whole hell of a lot more then the promise of jobs from jennifer granholm who loses us 1500 jobs a month.

2009-2014: February - Mexico (Cancun x 3, Cozumel x 1, Mazatlan x 2

2014 : Europe: Norway, Denmark, Hungary, Czech Rep, Germany, France, England

2015 : US:Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Joshua Tree NP, Salton Sea, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore. 20 states. Europe: Stockholm, Barcelona, Madrid, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw, Ireland (month driving around), Northern Ireland, Edinburgh.

2021: Europe?

Need a Railpass for that Trip to Europe?
Or Maybe a Hostel Reservation?
Frog Creek Brewing -- Upcoming Microbrewery

Sijuki@gmail.com
Sijuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 11:01 PM   #39
You want fries with that?

(Sij- I would vote for anyone other than someone connected to Amway. Those people freak me out. But thats just me! :D )

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote