Bombing yesterday - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 01-20-2006, 08:44 AM   #1
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to goyincognito Send a message via MSN to goyincognito
Thumbs down

Islamic Jihad has done their first suicide bombing inside Israel since the cease-fire expired earlier this month. A terrorist pretended to be blind and detonated a small device at a busy shwarma stand, injuring around 30. The last I heard, no one had died, but one or two were seriously wounded.

It's such a weird thing to be living here where such things are like local news...my friends were in the general area when the attack happened (I mean come on, everyone goes to Tel Aviv for the weekend), and a couple friends of friends actually avoided the attack by as little as 20 minutes, and were right near the stand that got hit.

You never EVER get used to it...no matter how many times it happens...
Old 01-20-2006, 09:26 AM   #2
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to SuDz

Wow. I mean, to be over there and knowing people that were that close to such a random act that could have taken them away. I hadn't heard of the bombings over here but I have kind of been off the news this week. It is one of those types of things that it seems almost no matter what you do to be aware, be safe, and what not that this can just go off anywhere.

Goy, be careful, but thanks for the updates from over there. They really do bring it closer to home.

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Rozza > that should be your sig
SuDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 01:01 PM   #3
I'll rock your socks off

Gah. Close misses are scary. A gf of mine was on the last safe train out of edgeware rd station last july..
Hope mother and the boyfriend dont see this though. They're worrying themselves silly about me going over to israel this summer. Sigh.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom

bellelass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 01:46 PM   #4
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally posted by bellelass@Jan 20 2006, 11:01 PM
Gah.* Close misses are scary.* A gf of mine was on the last safe train out of edgeware rd station last july..*
Hope mother and the boyfriend dont see this though.* They're worrying themselves silly about me going over to israel this summer.* Sigh.
[snapback]99422[/snapback]
I know you know this for sure, but from my experience traveling in Israel is really much safer than many metropolitan cities in the US. The crime rate is very low and the people are usually pretty helpful. Bombings within the country, though they get massive media attention, are as of late very uncommon--the Israeli security service is exceptional at stopping attacks and they seem to get better every year.

I feel perfectly safe walking around Tel Aviv at 4:30 in the morning; people are everywhere and everything is open and lit up brightly and it's as active at 4:30 AM as it is at 4:30 PM...whereas when I lived in Phoenix I came close to being victimized by crime (breakins, muggings, gang violence, the list goes on and on...*shudder*) more often than I'd like to remember, and being out alone at night was more often than not a really bad idea
Old 01-20-2006, 01:48 PM   #5
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to Tadpole

Be safe, its only going to get worse with the Iran situtation.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:24 AM   #6
TPunk Emeritus

Talk about close calls or near misses, check this one out.

A buddy of mine from college would fly home every summer to visit his parents in Colorado. Well, he was scheduled to go back on a certain day, and his Mom said, "Craig, do you HAVE to go back tomorrow?" They had something they were all planning on doing the next day, and wanted him to be there. So, he said no, he didn't really have to be back. His Mom called United and changed his flight.

That flight that he would have been on was the one that cartwheeled in Sioux City, Iowa, killing more than half the passengers. I know that in the weeks afterwards, they actually published the seat map, showing which passengers survived and which didn't. Not sure if he ever looked up his old seat assignment (if he had one) to see if he would have been dead or not. Either way, he would have been on the plane if his Mom hadn't said something.

Foresight? Or just a weird coincidence....?

Oh, and I agree: Goy, stay safe!

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 09:56 PM   #7
Members

Send a message via MSN to chelseafc05

hey goy i heard that on some israily busses and other public transport things they put bags of pig fat or somthin along those lines on them to deter the suicide bombers... coz appranently if they blow them selves up and if anythin from a pig comes in to contact with there body parts they dont go to where ever they think they go when they die.... can you confirm or deny this?

Where ive been: Cộng Hňa Xă Hội Chủ Nghĩa Việt , Preăh Réachéanachâkr Kâmpŭchea, Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Česká republika, Slovenská republika, Magyar Köztársaság, Republika Slovenija, Republika Hrvatska, Bosna i Hercegovina, Republika Srbija, Republika Balgariya, Türkiye Cumhuriyeti, România, Rzeczpospolita Polska, Lietuvos Respublika, Latvijas Republika, Eesti Vabariik, Republiken Finland

MY NAME IS
Daniel
chelseafc05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 11:13 PM   #8
You want fries with that?

Given the absence of pork in a Kosher diet, I'd doubt thats true. Otherwise there'd be a shitload of Israelis that would become unclean... but thats just me thinking again.

However, I do remember the story about a bunch of IDF guys holding a BBQ outside the cells of a bunch of terrorists... with pork on the menu... :D

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 11:30 PM   #9
TPunk Emeritus

I think they also dip thier bullets in pig fat?
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 12:43 AM   #10
You want fries with that?

This reminds me of a joke:

A Methodist lived in a largely Irish Catholic neighborhood for many, many years. Every Friday, when the weather was nice, he'd get home from work, fire up the grill, crack open a beer and eat a steak.

His Catholic neighbors would peer over his fence, and leer at him since they couldn't eat meat on Fridays. They'd tell him about how he was committing a mortal sin, and generally give him a hard time. Plus, they rode him for not being a Catholic. He liked his house, but was tired of the abuse.

Finally, after years of this abuse, he decided to convert to Catholicism. He went through the process of becoming a Catholic, and at the Mass for his conversion, the priest layed his hands on him and told him: "You were born a Methodist. You were raised a Methodist. Now you are a Catholic."

Finally being embraced by his Catholic neighbors, he felt very relieved.

The following Friday, he got home from work, fired the grill up, cracked open a beer, and cooked a steak.

His Catholic neighbors were shocked! "You can't eat meat on Friday! You're a Catholic now," one shrieked.

He thought about it for a second, put his hands on the freshly cooked steak and said "You were born a steer, You were raised a steer, you are now a Salmon!"

Okay, I don't know what that had to do with the conversation, but I felt it was necessary. :D

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 07:47 PM   #11
Members

Send a message via AIM to eSper

wow~

eSper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 11:10 AM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to chasing a dream

Here's another close call -- My moms old job had her traveling all over the world. She was suposed to return home on an Air France flight, but had to stay longer due to a problem she was fixing taking longer than expected. The plane went down, I don't remember why. In the crash, her bosses boss, and his wife were both killed. I can't say how glad I am she was having problems, and was not on that flight.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:42 AM   #13
Members

Closest call I've had was five and a half years ago, my parents and my brother took a two week vacation to France. We flew back home out of Charles De Gaulle airport, we got home and found out that the day after we left was the day that a Concord jet had taken off from CDG and crashed into a hotel a minute later. We weren't taking the concord, or course, but it was still freaky.
mark-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 08:38 AM   #14
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally posted by Somnambulation@Feb 5 2006, 09:30 AM
I think they also dip thier bullets in pig fat?
[snapback]101318[/snapback]

Wow. I'm not even going to ask where you heard something that ridiculous. hahahhaahha

Pig fat...LOL...and pork on buses??

yeah, and we also ride camels to work cause we just recently discovered electricity and don't have cars yet...

Good lord.