Toasted - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 01-17-2006, 04:24 PM   #1
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

So I've been away a few days...

Last week, as I was banging away at my keyboard and catching up with people I hadn't talked to since before my November adventures, everything came to a standstill and for the first time I ever, I had to give my trusty PowerBook a hard reboot... And then it wouldn't boot up.

I heard the dreaded "click of death" from the hard drive - mechanical failure. No amount of software repair tools or rebooting would bring the fucker back up.

Normally I'm immune to this stuff. I back up my important stuff pretty religiously, especially my photos and my music. But having spent all of November and much of December on vacation, I'd been slacking and putting off the big backup effort.

A lot of the stuff I hadn't backed up is replaceable... MP3s and iTunes songs, much of the newer stuff being on my iPod. And most of my Australia/NZ photos are on CD's since I was burning them as I was filling up my memory sticks... However, the last couple of hundred just went straight from memory stick on to the laptop, and those are LOST. Also lost is all the post-processing I did on the photos, not to mention all the film scans of the photos I took with a traditional camera. So for the photos I still have, I have to go through and Photoshop them again, AND I need to start the painful process of scanning all my film again, a huge project that I'd just started and was making decent headway on.

I called several data recovery companies and found out for them to recover data from an 80GB drive would be in the neighborhood of $1800-$2700. And even if they don't manage to recover anything from the hard drive platters, I'd still be charged a $900 "attempt fee." For that kind of money, I could just go and make the trip again and re-shoot all those photos! It's bad enough that I had to go spend a couple hundred dollars on a new hard drive, not to mention the pain of cracking open one of the newer PowerBook cases, which is nowhere as easy as it should be.

What I want out of this posting isn't sympathy - what's done is done. But I would like everyone who reads this that doesn't back their stuff up regularly to take this as a lesson and just take a little time out every week or two to put the stuff on to CD/DVD/an extra hard drive. There's a ton of stuff out there that's replaceable or that - god forbid - you can buy again. Memories, on the other hand, only come around once. Once they're gone... you know how it goes.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:31 PM   #2
Members

Send a message via MSN to chelseafc05

jesus fukin christ....why did i buy a digital camera again?

so how do ya burn ya photos onto a cd while ya overseas? just go to a camera shop place, stick the memory card into a burner computer thing then the pics just go to the cd?

Where ive been: Cộng Hòa Xã Hội Chủ Nghĩa Việt , Preăh Réachéanachâkr Kâmpŭchea, Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Česká republika, Slovenská republika, Magyar Köztársaság, Republika Slovenija, Republika Hrvatska, Bosna i Hercegovina, Republika Srbija, Republika Balgariya, Türkiye Cumhuriyeti, România, Rzeczpospolita Polska, Lietuvos Respublika, Latvijas Republika, Eesti Vabariik, Republiken Finland

MY NAME IS
Daniel
chelseafc05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:59 PM   #3
BONO'S LOVE SLAVE

Sorry to hear that and point well taken.

For the last week and a half, I had been upset b/c I thought I lost my 512 mb. memory card with the first half of my trip`s pictures somewhere in Australia.... and of course, didn`t back anything up....

Luckily I have just found out my friend has it and he is going to mail it up here, but I will be MUCH more careful about backing stuff up (constantly!) from now on...

Metro to Ginza shopping district: 160 yen

Watching middle-aged Japanese woman dance to U2: priceless
U2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 05:02 PM   #4
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to benna2 Send a message via MSN to benna2 Send a message via Yahoo to benna2

That really sucks Omi, sorry to hear about that!

And it is a good lesson to teach people though to back up their stuff. In fact, I have some pictures on my laptop that I should go backup right now. I hope you are able to retrieve anything you can.

Come visit me in the DR!
www.sosuavacationrentals.com
benna2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 05:12 PM   #5
Minister of Offense

Chelsea - just go into any internet cafe and tell 'em you need to burn your photos to CD. Some will let you do it yourself, others do it for you.

U2 - Glad to hear you're getting your stick back!

Benna - Back that thang up!

Old 01-17-2006, 05:41 PM   #6
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to LostFarmboy

hmmmm that aint cool. I only just backed up the photos from my around the world trip 2 days ago....i've been back for 2.5 months. I would have been pretty damn upset if that'd happened to me.

Quote:
I called several data recovery companies and found out for them to recover data from an 80GB drive would be in the neighborhood of $1800-$2700. And even if they don't manage to recover anything from the hard drive platters, I'd still be charged a $900 "attempt fee."
Now that's just farking rediculous
Old 01-17-2006, 07:29 PM   #7
Don't cut the red wire...

Send a message via MSN to The Monsignor Send a message via Yahoo to The Monsignor

External drives Rock!!

Make war, not love! It's safer!

The Monsignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 01:04 PM   #8
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to SuDz

Quote:
Originally posted by The Monsignor@Jan 17 2006, 10:29 PM
External drives Rock!!
[snapback]99028[/snapback]

I back up my external drive stuff onto DVD's as well. I mean, if an internal drive can die at any moment, why can't an external? I have luckily never had a disk crash on me on a home system but put things on CD's and DVD's everynow and then as an added bonus. Every few years I roll over old CD's into a new DVD so I can combine about three CD's onto one DVD and have fresh new media again.

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Rozza > that should be your sig
SuDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 01:08 PM   #9
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Question

Damn...how long do laptop drives usually last before they crash? My friend's did the other day too from overheating...
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 01:33 PM   #10
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally posted by voyd@Jan 18 2006, 04:08 PM
Damn...how long do laptop drives usually last before they crash?* My friend's did the other day too from overheating...
[snapback]99147[/snapback]

The laptop drives take way more of a beating than regular drives. I mean they are moved, dropped, banged etc all the time even when you take great care of them. They also have to go through a lot more startups and shutdowns than a regular computer. also a lot of times desktops are in a controlled tempature but a laptop might come in from freezing or below freezing temps and be expected that turning it on right away is okay. Same with heat and being in a poorly ventilated space.

They live a tough life.

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Old 01-18-2006, 08:24 PM   #11
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

Quote:
Originally posted by The Monsignor@Jan 17 2006, 07:29 PM
External drives Rock!!
[snapback]99028[/snapback]
here here

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 11:27 AM   #12
lover of Germany

Sorry to hear about that man.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 03:52 AM   #13
TPunk Recognized

It's a slim chance, but try putting the drive (in a sealed container) in the freezer for about an hour, then try plugging it in again straight away. Believe it or not I have experienced this working, but the drive will probably only last an hour or so if it does work, enough to backup your pics.

If you don't believe me, google it, it seems to work about 50% of the time.
Where I've been: Albania, Australia, Belguim, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Colombia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Jordan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovenia, Somaliland, Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Thailand, Transnistria, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Ukraine, Uruguay Uzbekistan, Vatican City, Vietnam, Yemen

Where I'm going: Cyprus (June 2013)
ajb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 10:57 PM   #14
Minister of Offense

Hmm... I think I might have to give that a go! Thanks for the tip

Old 01-23-2006, 10:27 AM   #15
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally posted by ajb3000@Jan 22 2006, 06:52 AM
It's a slim chance, but try putting the drive (in a sealed container) in the freezer for about an hour, then try plugging it in again straight away.* Believe it or not I have experienced this working, but the drive will probably only last an hour or so if it does work, enough to backup your pics.

If you don't believe me, google it, it seems to work about 50% of the time.
[snapback]99551[/snapback]

I've heard the same deal working in the past. I have never tried it myself but have always heard the thoery of it working.

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Old 02-08-2006, 12:47 AM   #16
Minister of Offense

Alright!!! I'm very happy to report that I've recovered just about all the thought-to-be-lost data from my drive... which means I now have all my recent Australia, New Zealand, and Canada pictures back. THANK THE LAWD AWMIGHTY!!!

I finally had time to try the freezing trick. Well, I hooked it up after putting it in deep freeze for a while, and the drive spun up... but nothing showed up. I kept waiting, trying, scanning the buses - the system didn't even acknowledge the now-spinning drive. Grrr.

In a fit of frustration, I thought of the other last-ditch solution provided by amateur data recovery experts - dropping the drive from a height of 3 feet. Well, being in that frustrated state of mind, I instead threw it at the hardwood floor from a height of about 4 feet. I figured I'd plug it in for shits and giggles and - lo and behold - it worked!

The drive's crapped out on me several times during the recovery process, but now I'm only a few gigs away from having everything back.

Thank you, everyone, for your tips.

Old 02-09-2006, 02:35 PM   #17
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally posted by omisan@Feb 8 2006, 03:47 AM
Alright!!!* I'm very happy to report that I've recovered just about all the thought-to-be-lost data from my drive... which means I now have all my recent Australia, New Zealand, and Canada pictures back. THANK THE LAWD AWMIGHTY!!!

I finally had time to try the freezing trick. Well, I hooked it up after putting it in deep freeze for a while, and the drive spun up... but nothing showed up.* I kept waiting, trying, scanning the buses - the system didn't even acknowledge the now-spinning drive. Grrr.

In a fit of frustration, I thought of the other last-ditch solution provided by amateur data recovery experts - dropping the drive from a height of 3 feet. Well, being in that frustrated state of mind, I instead threw it at the hardwood floor from a height of about 4 feet. I figured I'd plug it in for shits and giggles and - lo and behold - it worked!

The drive's crapped out on me several times during the recovery process, but now I'm only a few gigs away from having everything back.

Thank you, everyone, for your tips.*
[snapback]101734[/snapback]

Nice. Glad to see you were able to get all your data back.

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Old 02-09-2006, 04:43 PM   #18
Yoda

SWEET!! Now post them on the internet just in case, uh, well... I don't want to jinx it.