Ignorance - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 06-01-2006, 07:35 AM   #1
TPunk Emeritus

So.. I was thinking about that thread... "where you wouldn't go" and I realised... I live in South America, but when I think about South America I think about Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Chile, Colombia, Venezuela, Perú, Ecuador, Bolivia... but what about:

Guyana, Gayana and Suriname???

I know they exist, I know where they are located... but I never envision them as part of this continet... I dont even know/imagine what life there is like. I dont think I've ever even seen a picture of any of those countries... And they are much closer than anything else overseas...

And then what about the Seychelles?? Did you know it was a Republic? Is that a cool flag and coat of arms or what??? A republic made up by 115 islands??? I wanna go there!! hehe.

So, I know there are a whole lot other things i dont know... a lot of asian and african countries i've never even loked into, but what do u think is your absolute ignorane? something you never bothered to look up?

I know it's a weird topic... but i just had to express myself... i'm going mad wih boredom here at the office...
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

The travel bug is insatiable
florencia9699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:02 AM   #2
lover of Germany

I know exactly what you mean! Living in Europe, I can identify many western countries and talk about them. Ukraine? Hungary? Albania ect? Well that tends to get lumped in as "east Europe." I think everyone is a little like that. I knew a South African and when I asked him when I asked him if he explored his neighbouring countries he said he haddn't.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:06 AM   #3
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

I wouldn't exactly credit it to laziness. Up until about 18 or so you have youthful naivete on your side and you kind of rely on the educational system. I guess it just kind of depends on when your interest in the world/geography starts to bloom. I've only recently started to study Canada, and I've lived about eight hours from it for most of my life. Never even been there, but have been all over Europe. I also kind of think the more something interests you and the more carefully your learn about it, the better you'll grasp the information... so for me, I go one country/continent at a time.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:09 AM   #4
lover of Germany

Media also plays into it. I read the International Herald Tribune which is international but I also watch local or national news which focusus on our partiuclar region. If the media is geocentric than people are geocentric.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
Old 06-01-2006, 10:01 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to Echeverry Send a message via Yahoo to Echeverry Send a message via Skype™ to Echeverry
Angry

Quote:
Originally posted by jamiepeaski@Jun 1 2006, 08:06 AM
I wouldn't exactly credit it to laziness. Up until about 18 or so you have youthful naivete on your side and you kind of rely on the educational system. I guess it just kind of depends on when your interest in the world/geography starts to bloom. I've only recently started to study Canada, and I've lived about eight hours from it for most of my life. Never even been there, but have been all over Europe. I also kind of think the more something interests you and the more carefully your learn about it, the better you'll grasp the information... so for me, I go one country/continent at a time.
[snapback]123602[/snapback]

:greenguy: O.K dude in other words you are telling us that; We are simply clay with no other education that the one given to us by a national school system which is based by what the Gov' belive to be proper, therefore defining us as a souless being?????
B.S! I have been reading and on a side-education since I turned
15 and started meeting diff type of people, cultures. everything is diff when you realize you have a mind to analyze. "Religion is the opium os society" K.Marx
Old 06-01-2006, 10:10 AM   #6
You want fries with that?

^^^

Apparently your lack of an ability to form a grammatically proper sentence or for that matter, cogent series of thoughts is evident that your method ain't workin'!

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:13 AM   #7
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Echeverry+Jun 1 2006, 03:01 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Echeverry @ Jun 1 2006, 03:01 PM)</div>
Quote:
: O.K dude in other words you are telling us that; We are simply clay with no other education that the one given to us by a national school system which is based by what the Gov' belive to be proper, therefore defining us as a souless being?????
[/b]
No, that's why she said

<!--QuoteBegin-jamiepeaski
@Jun 1 2006, 01:06 PM
I guess it just kind of depends on when your interest in the world/geography starts to bloom. I've only recently started to study Canada, and I've lived about eight hours from it for most of my life. Never even been there, but have been all over Europe. I also kind of think the more something interests you and the more carefully your learn about it, the better you'll grasp the information... so for me, I go one country/continent at a time.
[snapback]123602[/snapback]
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

The travel bug is insatiable
florencia9699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 02:11 PM   #8
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

Haha thanks Florencia!

Eche - your interpretation of what I said was way off based. Maybe you should read it again.

And for the record, it's "dudette."

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 02:46 PM   #9
Tpunk Senior Moderators

I'm ashamed to admit that up until fairly recently, I thought Guyana was in Africa, not South America. I wish I could use the excuse that I was getting confused between Guyana and Ghana, or something like that... but nope!

Also, like Ben said, I'm rather clueless when it comes to Eastern Europe. On here, people often talk about countries I've either never even heard of, or have heard of, but thought were somewhere else.

And this one is pretty bad, but up until quite recently, I thought I'd probably end up getting shot or something if I went to Vietnam.

I'm useless really.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:53 PM   #10
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

It seems somehow "funny" how on a topic entitled "ignorance" just how easy it is for people to misunderstand each other....

I don't think ignorance is always or even often bliss, but nor do I believe it is always or often laziness.... In this case, when it comes to knowing what is out there in regards places in the world there are a lot of factors that contribute to our "ignorance". But being a little ignorant means that we have the opportunity to make "profound" discoveries. It is what we do with those that is truly important.

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 03:08 PM   #11
lover of Germany

Very true, very true

Old 06-01-2006, 04:22 PM   #12
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to goyincognito Send a message via MSN to goyincognito

I get you totally Florencia...it's kind of like living in the United States and suddenly thinking about Ohio.

...Just kidding. :D
Old 06-01-2006, 06:54 PM   #13
Ohio State's #1 Fan

Send a message via AIM to Brookers13 Send a message via MSN to Brookers13

Quote:
Originally posted by goyincognito@Jun 1 2006, 07:22 PM
I get you totally Florencia...it's kind of like living in the United States and suddenly thinking about Ohio.
...Just kidding.* :D
[snapback]123740[/snapback]
you bitch.

and eche can you stop with those green things all the time please...

and as a teacher i would further like to say that the national govt has no real say in education...its state controlled...NCLB and IDEA are really the only national govt involvements in education. but you can now go back to thinking they are brainwashing you into a soleless being if you wish.

"I wanna be there, I wanna go back down and get high by the sea there, with a tin cup for a chalice, fill it up with good red wine, and ill be chewin' on a honeysuckle vine...." - Jimmy
Brookers13 is offline   Reply With Quote