Wierd Diets - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 06-30-2006, 07:38 PM   #1
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Legitikick Send a message via Skype™ to Legitikick

So I've been on this diet, some may say its strange, and at times I agree. But holy sh*t it works. The carb cycling diet. One day of no carbs, one day of low carbs, one day of unlimitted carbs. Six meals a day, but somehow you're always hungry. But the trick: the carbs can only be complex, and a little bit of fruit, and you eat 1g of protein for every pound of bodyweight. Its popular for body builders because it preserves muscle better than a normal low calorie diet.

I wasn't fat before, but I decided I might as well try to look like superman before going back to Deutschland and drinking it all back on. Works well, but the end of these no carb days, and the beginning of the next are a pain in the ass. You get all shaky and very irritable. Funny how carbs, or lack of, play with your emotions.

Anyways, anyone else ever done some form of crazy diet and had any luck?

I tried the Atkins a couple years ago just for shits and giggles, only lasted about ten days, I was dreaming about toast and had to give in. Wierd.
So Far: Peru, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Spain, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, England, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, India, Nepal, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Morocco
Right Now: Grad schoolin' at the Columbia School of Int'l & Public Affairs
Next Up: The real world ... where one has to work, hopefully doing some sort of mediation/conflict resolution gig.
Legitikick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 09:17 AM   #2
TPunk Emeritus

I work at a weight loss company so my opinion is biased. But I feel any diet cutting out carbs isn't healthy. I don't think anyone wants to hear Amber's low-carb rant.

Although it does give you fast results that most people enjoy, but the weight loss tends to come back on just as fast once you stop following the program.

Also with still being hungry all day, it's because your eating spread out and that speeds up your metobolism so you feel hungry. When you skip breakfast one might start feeling hungry around lunchtime but if you eat breakfast you'll probably get the rumbles shortly (depending how big a breakfast you ate).

Hope it works out well!!

"If I had a kid I'd f**k it. Then kill it. Then f**k it again." Seattle 2006

blog of travels and such
flickr

Currently located in HAWAII

Been to: Alaska, Bahamas, Canada, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Hawaii, Spain, Switzerland - - also meetups in Chicago, LA, and Seattle
blinkchick2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 11:27 AM   #3
Drifter in the making.

I have a degree in Kinesiology and I'm hoping to enter a Masters of Nutrition and all data shows that Atkins and low carb diets are bad for you.. and temporary. often having far worse weight gain once off the diet.

The phrase of the biz is... (well here in Canada) "Fats Burn in the Flame of Carbohydrates"

and I'm a firm believer in that

I will not say that your mulberry-trees are dead, but I am afraid they are not alive.
~ Jane Austen in a Letter (1811-05-31)
MolsonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 03:02 AM   #4
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Well, I decided to try and lose some of the weight I put on while at uni. So for the past two weeks, I've just really simply cut out all the crap I usually eat, and try and eat foods that are less than 5% fat.

It's really easy to follow, an example day for me would be:

Breakfast: none (but I've never eaten breakfast, I always feel a little queasy in the AM)

Mid-morning: Some grapes

Lunch: Ham sandwich on granary bread, low-fat yoghurt and a banana.

Dinner: Steamed fish, potatoes, peas and green beans.

Snack: A nectarine.

I thought I'd find it soooo hard not to eat any chocolate or biscuits or anything, but I'm not doing too badly. The weight loss with the diet change alone is about 2lbs per week, but I have a feeling that might drop to 1lb a week after I've been doing it a while. But I'm happy to take it slow!
Old 07-02-2006, 09:29 AM   #5
TPunk Emeritus

I am a firm beleiver that you are really better off making small changes to your general eating habits versus going on a "diet". Cutting way back on sugars and trying to keep much of your carb intake consisting of complex carbs and limiting portion sizes can make huge differences. Everyone is different and it is a matter of learning your own personal tolerances for certain types of food and coming up with something that you can stick with long term. Any diet that alters your mood or makes you feel shaky or weak is not healthy IMHO.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 10:43 AM   #6
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Jen05

I agree with LFoD on this one. I've tried the fads, and maybe they last a few days, but then you go crazy and eat everything that's not tied down.

My friend attempted a diet last week that seemed absolutely crazy! (Supposed to last 21 days, she did 4 which in my opinion is too long! The diet was supposed to "cleanse" by drinking lemon water with paprika as a replacement for every meal, and an herbal laxative tea. Absolutely bizaare if you ask me!
Jen05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 11:58 AM   #7
Drifter in the making.

I've heard the same deal, but it's Water, Maple Syrup, Cayene Pepper and Lemon juice, and it's supposed to be for a week.

I will not say that your mulberry-trees are dead, but I am afraid they are not alive.
~ Jane Austen in a Letter (1811-05-31)
MolsonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 12:08 PM   #8
Members

Send a message via AIM to thatgirlwholaughs

i heard of that too. no way that's healthy for you. i eat according to how i feel. veganism is the way for me...though all the extra vitamins are slightly overwhelming.
thatgirlwholaughs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 02:26 PM   #9
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Legitikick Send a message via Skype™ to Legitikick

Well, I've found that this diet works well for me, because its forgiving if you splurge, in fact it sorta allows it on some days. Also, it keeps your metabolism up because of the way it cycles the no and high days. And, I'm a pretty active person, so keeping the weight off shouldn't be a problem, my biggest problem is staying away from the beer. Also, I'm doing this with a buddy who's been off of it for a few weeks now and he hasn't gained any weight back, but he's also very active.

I'm not recommending this, it may be extreme to some, but I've found that it works for me. But the real test will be in a couple months when I'm surrounded by bier und schnitzel, und bratwurst.
So Far: Peru, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Spain, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, England, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, India, Nepal, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Morocco
Right Now: Grad schoolin' at the Columbia School of Int'l & Public Affairs
Next Up: The real world ... where one has to work, hopefully doing some sort of mediation/conflict resolution gig.
Legitikick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:44 PM   #10

Send a message via MSN to Echeverry Send a message via Yahoo to Echeverry Send a message via Skype™ to Echeverry

Well after watching the best New York movie ever just a few minutes ago I must admit that The Devil Wears Prada, OWNZ! BTW in the movie thay show a bunch of sweet spot to shop or just hang around although they should have shown more Hell's, SoHo & my oh so beloved packing D. Either way in the movie there is this part where they acknowledge a very good diet which is basic the following: Don't eat anything until you feel like you are about to faint and then you eat a cube of cheese! This movie is the best thing ever although the end gets sooooooooooooooo obvious and dumb, yet a very good movie. Coming up the review of Mary-Kate and Ashley in Guantanamo Bay( Imagine that! that I would pay to watch over and over). :greenguy: