airplane disasters - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 02-11-2005, 10:20 AM   #1
Members

Question

i heard on the radio about this women who had a rash on her arm.......so she told the airline attendent

when the plane landed they detained everyone on the plane for an hour and half------they checked everyone on the plane for a rash to make sure it wasn't contagious

just wondering if anyone has some airplane stories about crazy delays or flights from hell????

so far i've never had any delays of any sort.......but being crampped like this would drive me threw the roof.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:41 AM   #2
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

on my way to costa rica we got all bounced around and I ended up there two days late after a unscheduled night in miami and another in cancun.

fun times on American Airlines (NEVER AGAIN!)
Old 02-11-2005, 12:03 PM   #3
Members

On our way from michigan to costa rica we were detained in different airports due to weather. we ended up getting to panama city, panama where my family of 6 had to sleep on the floor awaiting our flight to costa rica. Oh yeah, and the panamanian goverment had no record of us entering the country. That was pretty sweet to deal with at 5 am with a customs officer we had just awaken from his nap on the job....
finkle55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 04:38 PM   #4
Members

It took me 3 days to get from Chicago to Boston once...flying...

Day 1: I was ont he plane for 4 hours in Chicago the first day, then i gets cancelled.
Day 2: We checked in and were there for 3 hours, then we got bumped off.
Day 3: We got on the 3rd flight we tried to get on.
I fly non-rev so that's why all that happened.

When I was flying non-rev from Paris to Boston on my way home from Nice, I met up with my dad in Paris because he's a pilot and was there. The plane was over-booked by 30 seats. They were paying people $800 to give up their seat. My dad was going to send me on a plane as a 14 year old to London, then figure out how to non-rev back to Boston while he went back to Boston from Paris....I actually had the ticket to London in my hand and was about to get on the plane to go because I had to hurry(another non-rev ticket) and at the last minute the other pilot(the capitan) after like, begging from my dad, let me illigally(in 3 different ways actually) sit in the blocked off buissness class seat. It was the seat next to the pilot rest seat, and i flew for $100 buissness class back to Boston! haha, it all worked out, except they didn't have any food for me oh well, haha, it was comfortable.

Oh also, if anyone flew on American last summer from Paris to wherever, it was hell going back! They had like a million flights leaving at the same time, and they had 15 check in desks for 2000 people that all have to be checked in at the same time. It was the most chaotic thing ever. There weren't even lines anymore, it was just...crowds of people pushing to be closer to the check in desk, haha I was smooth and went around(thank you dad for having connections), I also get to skip customs when I'm with him! The hour line of customs that's there everytime.

There's more stories but I can't think of anymore now. haha everytime i fly something bad happens, that's what i get for taking the cheap way out....
Old 02-11-2005, 09:00 PM   #5
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

Quote:
Originally posted by jakethepunk@Feb 11 2005, 01:41 PM
fun times on American Airlines (NEVER AGAIN!)
American Airlines :greenguy:

I got stuck on a plane for something like 9 1/2s from Miami to Chicago...it makes me angry just thinking about it!!!

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 12:54 AM   #6
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

WOW! I'm so glad our fligth to Dublin got changed to Aer Lingus instead of AA - I ddint' realize they sucked so much (except their damn site!).

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 09:12 AM   #7
Members

This isn't really the same but, while I was in college I worked a summers as a forest Fire Ranger in Northern Ontario. Forest fires do crazy things to the weather and what was originally supposed to be a weekend mop up of an already extinguished area turned out to last a week and a half with no supplies in some of the most unforgiving conditions. It was like survivor with 7 other tired dirty rangers. We did get food and an extra tent long lined in but that was even risky with the high winds. we had to cut a huge section of the forest and on the 11th day the pilot finally came back and set the chopper down on our strategic landing pad. At that time our radios had died so we had no communication as to when he would be comming but we were glad to get out. It was almost worth the sick cash I came back to school with in the fall.
wardenjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 07:16 PM   #8
TPunk Emeritus

Hmm. Well did anyone hear about the plane accident in Teterboro, NJ about two weeks ago? The airport is about 5 minutes from my school...I was woken up by the freaking fire sirens. I'm pretty sure no one was killed, a lot of injuries though. Apparently the plane was de-iced properly or something was wrong with takeoff. Anywho they kept going across a 4 lane highway and into a warehouse. Luckly the lights were red on the highway and only two cars were involved. There was one person near where the plane went into the building but they're fine. The pilots walked away as most the passengers I believe...it was a small business jet (15 or so people on board).

Eitherway when I was coming back from NYC last week we went by the building...with the plane still in it. Because the bus was tall we could see over the tarp fence and it's really weird to see something on tv in person. Yup.

"If I had a kid I'd f**k it. Then kill it. Then f**k it again." Seattle 2006

blog of travels and such
flickr

Currently located in HAWAII

Been to: Alaska, Bahamas, Canada, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Hawaii, Spain, Switzerland - - also meetups in Chicago, LA, and Seattle
blinkchick2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 05:33 PM   #9
TPunk Emeritus

On my last trip back from Asia I got waylaid in Chicago for two days because of bad snowstorms. It was the weekend of the AFC championship game. I was none too pleased to have to watch the Pats in a hotel. I also had no extra clothes and had to wash a t-shirt and pair of underwear in the sink with handsoap. I also had no warm clothes because it was warm in Taiwan and I didn't bring any - therefore I was stuck in the hotel the whole time. Oh well. The Pats won and I eventually made it home. Good times.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 08:15 AM   #10
TPunk Emeritus

We have this real "Drama Queen" of a supervisor here at AWA in Columbus. One time we had a flight coming in from Las Vegas and the pilot called in to say that he had a really sick passenger on board. It was at the height of flu season, and apparently the passenger's friends had told the agents in Vegas they thought their friend was coming down with the flu.

Well, surprise, surprise. During the flight, he gets pretty sick, throws up in the Lavs (toilet), and is all around miserable. Well, listening to this guy wretch starts to make a couple other passengers feel queasy and wonder if they're coming down with it, too.

So, what does our Drama Queen do? HE gets ahold of the TSA (airline security) and has them quarenteen the flight upon arrival. They don't let the passengers off till medical authorities come on board and verify the passenger simply has the flu. And remember, this is at the height of cold and flu season. People are pissed as they're stuck on the plane for about six hours after it lands.

And our little Drama Queen is strutting around, probably wondering who will play him in the made for TV movie about how he saved Columbus from a biological attack by terrorists!

Ridiculous. Nothing but one poor sap with the flu and a planeful of pissed off passengers and news coverage that makes us look like fools...

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 05:01 PM   #11
Members

I remember my dad telling me stories like that about a pilot he flew with on American from Boston, my was flying with him and the guy made some announcement about terrorists on board or something and he kept freaking people out. Then he would go crazy when someone had 2 carry on's on board, like a purse and a backpack, and he would freak and tell them to either check one of them or to leave and start lecturing them about TSA policy, then he would lecture the entire plane about TSA policy over the speaker.

And in St. Thomas one time there was no one to check anyone in so my dad checked everyone in and when people ask the guy what's going on he's like: "it's not my problem, it's yours, i'm leaving at 10 and if you're not checked in and on the plane we're leaving without you"

yea but that guy would do stuff like that everyday all the time, eventuall he got in trouble though, i can't remember what happened, he either got seriously demoted or fired. i can't remember.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:02 PM   #12
Members

One time coming back from skiing out west we got stuck above Chicago for something like 3 hours waiting for a blizzard to clear up so we could land. The problem was it kept icing the runway really bad. We finally landed at about midnight and then I had to drive us all home, 3 hours in a blizzard in the middle of the night. Not fun.

New (awesome) job, so the RTW trip will have to wait.

Adventure is my middle name.

www.youtube.com/profile?user=umdigger
cruzintoDK is offline   Reply With Quote