Suitcase or large backpack? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 03-12-2013, 10:29 PM   #1

Question Suitcase or large backpack?

I've been going back and forth between the two in my head and I just can't decide. Just last night I decided on taking my camping pack on my trip to Europe this summer/fall, but then today I realized I wouldn't be able to lock it like I would with a suitcase when I check it in...... OR can you??? What do people usually use when they travel around Europe? I'm planning on visiting about 5 countries maybe? Haven't really decided yet.

And has anyone had an issue with losing your bag while traveling around Europe when you check it in?
k_ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ls View Post
I've been going back and forth between the two in my head and I just can't decide. Just last night I decided on taking my camping pack on my trip to Europe this summer/fall, but then today I realized I wouldn't be able to lock it like I would with a suitcase when I check it in...... OR can you??? What do people usually use when they travel around Europe? I'm planning on visiting about 5 countries maybe? Haven't really decided yet.

And has anyone had an issue with losing your bag while traveling around Europe when you check it in?

Welcome to the boards!

I believe the overwhelming majority here takes a backpack when traveling to Europe. You'll find it tougher to go up and down metro stairways and hostel staircases as well. Same goes for cobble stone roads.

Hostels usually have lockers where you can lock your backpacks up or at the very least your valuables.

Let us know what you decide!
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
An Optimistic Realist.

Send a message via AIM to Sijuki Send a message via MSN to Sijuki Send a message via Yahoo to Sijuki

I would definitely think that a backpack is easier to maneuver around with, also it will compel you to keep it lighter. lol. Happy Travels!

2009-2014: February - Mexico (Cancun x 3, Cozumel x 1, Mazatlan x 2

2014 : Europe: Norway, Denmark, Hungary, Czech Rep, Germany, France, England

2015 : US:Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Joshua Tree NP, Salton Sea, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore. 20 states. Europe: Stockholm, Barcelona, Madrid, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw, Ireland (month driving around), Northern Ireland, Edinburgh.

2021: Europe?

Need a Railpass for that Trip to Europe?
Or Maybe a Hostel Reservation?
Frog Creek Brewing -- Upcoming Microbrewery

Sijuki@gmail.com
Sijuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 06:27 AM   #4
lover of Germany

I agree with a backpack-what I like to do it pack a pack, leave it at the hostel and have mini bag or satchel for my day to day stuff. This depends on the place I am at of course in higher crime areas I may not do this.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:46 PM   #5
TPunk Moderator

Backpack for all your travel needs...
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Marcus Nappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:40 PM   #6
Resident Junglist

Send a message via MSN to buzzingtalk

Take a backpack with you - it will be so much easier!

You can buy loads of mini locks if you're worried. Some people wrap their bags in lots of cling film for international flights - I only do this when I'm going to Thailand due to scams in the past. If a thief wants to get in to your bag, a lock won't stop them!

A lot of european hostels offer a safe or even locker service - if you are worried about valuables, then lock them away safely. Other stuff, leave on your bed/in an open bag. I've never had problems with thieves in all my years traveling in Europe, a few small precautions pretty much prevent it.

Just make sure when you are out and about, you have your money/passport etc stashed away under a belt, not just in a pocket. Keep some small change for shops etc.

Welcome to europe!

Euro trips for gigs and festivals as usual...
Then heading east to NZ & Aus for a few years! Via Abu Dhabi, Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore.

Time to get out of the UK for a while!!
buzzingtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:40 PM   #7
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzingtalk View Post
Take a backpack with you - it will be so much easier!

You can buy loads of mini locks if you're worried. Some people wrap their bags in lots of cling film for international flights - I only do this when I'm going to Thailand due to scams in the past. If a thief wants to get in to your bag, a lock won't stop them!

A lot of european hostels offer a safe or even locker service - if you are worried about valuables, then lock them away safely. Other stuff, leave on your bed/in an open bag. I've never had problems with thieves in all my years traveling in Europe, a few small precautions pretty much prevent it.

Just make sure when you are out and about, you have your money/passport etc stashed away under a belt, not just in a pocket. Keep some small change for shops etc.

Welcome to europe!

Excellent advice! Thanks!!
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote