Weirdest place you have stayed the night? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 06-13-2011, 07:08 PM   #1
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f
Default Weirdest place you have stayed the night?

Hey Tpunks,

We all have been there. It is late, you either missed your transportation, or you have such an early train, plane, bus that you aren't going to fork out for a hostel much less a hotel.

Where was your weirdest place?

I think mine was on a picnic table in Galicia or in a homeless shelter/red cross in Frankfurt.

My the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree but I think Dad has me beat. He has stayed in a hay loft in Voss, a graveyard in Sofia, and a garbage dump near Dubrovnik.

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:38 PM   #2
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

I had a flight into Dortmund, Germany from Krakow, Poland and I was taking the train from Dortmund to Frankfurt to catch a plane home. Didn't know that Germany in like June was frigid cold at night and froze the whole effing night. I slept on the bench on the platform cos the place underneath me was filled with people trying to stay warm. Looking back it was prolly kinda sketchy, but oh well, I made it haha.

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #3
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to mish99

I had a night on a bench in Salt Lake City. Had the most random conversation with a homeless man. Apparently South Africa and Israel have *the* atomic bomb. Or something like that....

Ive been fortunate enough to not let this list grow!

Currently Working in England

After:Jan 5 - South Africa. Sometime 2012 - Canada!
mish99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:36 AM   #4
TPunk Recognized

A Brothel in Addis Ababa (I didn't realise it was a Brothel when I checked-in, and only found out at 1am when I got back from a bar). I had girls knocking on my door all night long and couldn't sleep for the noises from next door :s.

I pitched my tent outside a police station in Sudan as it was shut and the only hotel wouldn't accept me without a police registration.

Outside a shanty house in a "village" of 5 shanty houses in the mountains in northern Iraq. It belonged to the "other mum" of a guy I met in the city. His dad has two wives.

Next to the motorway while hitch-hiking through Europe.
Where I've been: Albania, Australia, Belguim, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Colombia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Jordan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovenia, Somaliland, Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Thailand, Transnistria, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Ukraine, Uruguay Uzbekistan, Vatican City, Vietnam, Yemen

Where I'm going: Cyprus (June 2013)
ajb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:08 AM   #5
lover of Germany

That rail shack in Belgium was pretty odd, especially as I woke up to find an old woman staring at me in place of my friend who she told me had gone to the toilet.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:58 PM   #6
Dig
TPunk Moderator

You guys all have me beat. Best I can come up with is the back of a pickup or something lame like that!
Old 08-04-2011, 01:34 AM   #7
TPunk Recognized

"I didn't realise it was a Brothel when I checked-in, and only found out at 1am when I got back from a bar"

---There is a high class joke in there somewhere. I think I might have some people beat and some of our T-Punks were even witnesses. I have to admit my falling asleep while standing up during the festival de San Fermin should count as something.
But I also have interesting stories involving unitentionally renting a room in the red light district in Amsterdam and a couple of train station fuck ups in Germany that resulted in overnight stays. Also the attempting to stretch a 6'2" frame across a few benches in the Venice airport. If you've been there you know what I mean.

The beauty of this world will last
Much longer than its men
No need for man to test this fact
Enjoy the view instead----Me(Part of a longer poem)
ChasinJason1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:59 AM   #8
Admin

I got nothing. Guess I always had my accommodations planned! hahaha...

But, I did shell out $105 in Barcelona for a nice hotel room that I only used for about 5 hours. It was like 2am, I couldn't find any available rooms anywhere in walking distance from the train station except for this nice hotel across the street. After hours of walking, I got the room, slept for 4 hours, got up and ready and checked out. Waste of money..
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:51 AM   #9

Spent the night on a grassy knoll in downtown Toronto, that's more or less it, well other than the rare one night stand here and there haha
jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:01 PM   #10

Mostly some sketchy hostels or floors of people I hardly know...
Pangaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:21 PM   #11
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelpunk View Post
I got nothing. Guess I always had my accommodations planned! hahaha...

But, I did shell out $105 in Barcelona for a nice hotel room that I only used for about 5 hours. It was like 2am, I couldn't find any available rooms anywhere in walking distance from the train station except for this nice hotel across the street. After hours of walking, I got the room, slept for 4 hours, got up and ready and checked out. Waste of money..

Tony, you're so....so lame, and uh, responsible and stuff...... boooo!

Much longer than its men
Old 09-17-2011, 11:22 PM   #12
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan View Post
Spent the night on a grassy knoll in downtown Toronto, that's more or less it, well other than the rare one night stand here and there haha

--I stopped reading after "grassy knoll" and you are now under 35hour surveillance, ENJOY!!. HAHAHAH!!!

/

Much longer than its men
Old 09-20-2011, 02:39 PM   #13
Artist of Life

I'm going to go in the opposite direction and name a high-class place: The Burj Al-Arab, the world's only 7 star resort in Dubai. I stayed in the club suite for one night. It cost me $3000 and I was there less than 24 hours

I should also mention this is the same trip that I slept on a hut on the beach in India for $5 a night.
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:56 PM   #14
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

^Wow?! 3k for one night!?!?

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:52 AM   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to PhilBill
Cool Most Recently in Hakkari Eastern ( Kurdish )Turkey

Only 4 hotels / guest houses in town of Hakkari when I woke up had no plans of going but as buses to other destinations were fully booked or didn't leave for several hours and local I'd bumped into at a street Kebab barbecue eating had recommended as beautiful I asked and was sold a seat to Hakkari leaving in one hour. Within an hour after arrival I found out the two budget hotels at 25 to 35ish Lira (U$14 to U$20 )were fully booked and the other two charged 60 / 70 Lira ( U$32 to U$40 ) I decided late in the afternoon I wouldn't pay, especially since I was leaving at 7AM the next morning. So what to do? no homestays or hostels or guest houses like the past 8 weeks in Armenia and Georgia so noticed several internet cafes and asked around if any were open all night- yes one was so after wandering around town after stashing my backpack and daypack in the bus ticket office I went on-line and got to know a half dozen young Kurdish university student night owls and more or less shared some laughs while resisting nodding off after 4AMish.

Became Facebook "friends" , took a couple group pictures, and was shown a live video ( YouTube? ) of PKK Kurdish rebel separatists killing a dozen Turkish soldiers and blowing up one of their tanks. Amazing such a scene was not banned or censored and I learned that the nationalistic cultural identities in this region of the world went back 1000s of years and not likely to be diplomatically changed by any New World power like the USA or alliance like the European Union. Before leaving on the bus found that even the bus ticket office staff were watching the same PKK video at 6:45AM!!! Even when being invited to sit down and share a chai ( tea ) with shopkeepers the political issues and Kurdish nationalism were the main topic of conversation.

Good Choice! I'm glad I made it. rather than over paying for an overpriced room with Cable TV alone in my room.
PhilBill is offline   Reply With Quote