losing patience - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 02-13-2006, 01:07 PM   #1
Members

i'm not sure if this is the appropiate place to post this but I'm losing so much fu*king patience saving and waiting for my trip (summer 2006). Ever since deciding in the summer that i'm just going to do it-I'm going to take the leap, I've dropped out of grad school and picked up a slew of temp jobs (long term potential). And oh my god...i'm ready to pull my hair out, if it's not me dropping the job it's the job dropping me. Which just happened this friday. I still plan on going and finding another job as soon as i can, but the whole thing gets pretty tiring. Is anyone else in the same situation..or have any tips on how to stay sane before i turn into this guy

im planning on being away for 3 mnths or so, and am waiting on a friend so i can't leave this instant.

-fortune cookie
crybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 01:34 PM   #2
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to SuDz

There is tons of pressure before taking a trip that make you go crazy. Sit back, take a deep breathe, grab a drink and relax.

Just figure that working now will give you that money to travel later on. So even though you are waiting for a friend it just means that you will have a little more flex in the budget while your gone.

Also you will realize that once the planning is done that then it is just waiting for the time to come. Once it does then your going to forget all thes stresses of how you got there back at home.

Just take it easy, do what you have to and things will all fall into place.

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Rozza > that should be your sig
SuDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 02:25 AM   #3
TPunk Emeritus

Maybe take a dry run, if you've got a little time between jobs. I mean, hop on a bus to a nearby metropolis (not the one you live in) and check out some of the sights and sounds there for a day or two. Don't do anything too expensive, just get a change of scenery, go to some museums, whatever. Or go to a spa and get a massage. That always helps...
tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 02:38 AM   #4
TPunk Emeritus

just keep focused on why you're working temp jobs!
don't lose sight of your goal!
Old 02-14-2006, 02:45 AM   #5
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

Your not by any chance telling the people there your planing on up and leaving are you? They won't take kindly to that.

Tell them your there for life and the jobs all important, then just up and leave when the time comes. You'll then be able to use your best Maniacal laugh when sitting on a train speeding through (where ever) thinking about them looking at your empty desk wondering what's happened and why the peterson account hasn't been finished.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:00 AM   #6
Mod

Send a message via MSN to aliz

^^ i agree.. my employer thinks I'm there for the year... little do they know that i have already taken up a job at a hotel to start in june... (even the fact that I took time off work to do a bar course didn't seem to concern them...)

i also go crazy sometimes thinking about how long it actually is till i leave for europe (I'm going in october) i plan like i'm leaving next week!
Old 02-14-2006, 08:17 AM   #7
I'll rock your socks off

Listen to Weedz. When I'm raring to go and time is going slower than my oldest grandmother slogs knee high through mud, or when Im back and depressed that Im back, it really perks me up to grab a train or bus to somewhere else and just wander around. Or even go to a part of my city I dont frequent often and pretend Im elsewhere.

Also, being perma-drunk helps pass the time. Seriously. You look back and the days just sort of blur together into a blissfully blank whole. Rocking the ganj is even better for that.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom

bellelass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:46 PM   #8
Members

haha...being permadrunk doesn't sound like a bad idea, anything to make the days seem more like a blur would help. And thanks everyone for all your suggestions. Doing the dry run and just reminding myself that everything will fall into place sounds good. I have to remember that I can't rush things.

And i haven't told ANYONE at wrk about wanting to leave, meturk. That would be like work suicide for a temp..lol but honestly i haven't been doing the best job at hiding my contempt for them. They're so stupid, the fact that i have to act like the job is the best thing that ever happened to me makes me want to kick my own as$. I mean, isn't it kind of perverse how employers want you to stay at and be grateful for your dead end job. I get it from a business pt. of view but still....

And aliz, wow, i wish i could just take off here and there. My past employers took it as me not being dedicated enough to work.

-fortune cookie
Old 02-14-2006, 01:49 PM   #9
Weasel Jones

a cheap hooker and some even cheaper whiskey may help too : )
Old 02-14-2006, 03:15 PM   #10
I'll rock your socks off

mmm cheap whiskey. I'll be your hooker for some cheap whiskey...
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom

bellelass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 10:42 AM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to chasing a dream

Quote:
Originally posted by tumblezweedz@Feb 14 2006, 06:25 AM
Maybe take a dry run, if you've got a little time between jobs.* I mean, hop on a bus to a nearby metropolis (not the one you live in) and check out some of the sights and sounds there for a day or two.* Don't do anything too expensive, just get a change of scenery, go to some museums, whatever.* Or go to a spa and get a massage.* That always helps...
[snapback]102601[/snapback]
I agree 100%. Use some travel to cure your travel blues!
Old 03-18-2006, 02:34 PM   #12
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

We left June last year and I remember this timeframe was the hardest. I just wanted out of there. I was still in school, so time just dragged. Yeah, I did a lot of partying and tried to keep as busy as possible. Also took a few short trips and enjoyed the weather as it got nicer. Time will keep moving though!

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:02 AM   #13
lover of Germany

yeah been there! My next major trip will take a year because a friend and I who are going want to start an Open University course first. However, I fully intend to do little trips. That is a good way to get that darn travel monkey off your back. Whats that? No Travel Monkey I just gave a bannana-go away...uh sorry guys gotta run.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 06:55 PM   #14
Members

Send a message via AIM to nemesis331

i agree...take your mind off it. spend more time drunk, or just think about how much fun you will have and how it's all worth it. i know, it sucks, but once you actually leave you'll be that much happier because you will remember how hard you worked/long you waited .

*i'm experiencing the same things...i leave May 22*
Old 03-28-2006, 09:28 PM   #15
Members

ack..may 22..at least you have two mnths..i'm due in july. I can't wait

-fortune cookie