At a loss for words - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 10-12-2006, 06:22 PM   #1
Yoda

Pardon me, this is a bit long but it's such a bizarre story that I have to share.

So there's this woman I work with. She's one of the sales managers that books the events I and the other event managers (banquet captains) end up running. She's absolutely hilarious but about as off-the-wall as you can possibly get... this is a woman who was caught driving to work in the carpool lane with a mannequin in the front seat. I am not making this up. (That's a whole other story in and of itself, involving a school bus and a 4-car accident that tied up traffic for HOURS. But I digress.)

Today, at the ghastly hour of 4:30am, I had to take over someone else's party in addition to TWO others that I was already doing. The sales person (let's call her Susan) warned me that the client was somewhat anxious, high-strung and high-maintenance. Fantastic. But I had two very capable, very guest-service oriented people working the party with me, so I knew everything would be fine. (Which it was, for the most part.)

Anyway, during one of the breaks for this meeting, we had warm pretzels with mustard and cheese available on a small buffet. One of the servers was dealing with that while the other was on break and I was dealing with one of the other two events. All of a sudden I get a call on the radio that my over-anxious client has just walked into the freaking kitchen to say that they were out of pretzels. Um, okay, I rush down there, get more pretzels out (there were actually three still in the pan, but whatevski). About five minutes later, my server who was supposed to be taking care of the buffet came up to me and said that she was really sorry, but she had to take care of this old woman (a guest in the restaurant on the other side of the building) who had walked out of the women's room with her pants around her ankles and crap dripping off her legs and onto the carpet.

So my kind server (let's call her Julie) assists the woman as best she can without getting crap on herself. The poor thing is somewhere in her 80's and obviously senile because she has no clue that not only has she shat herself (and all over the bathroom walls and floor and the carpet in the hallway) but she walked out of the bathroom without 1. finishing the job and 2. getting dressed.

Ok, fine... that was dealt with (poor poopy little old lady) and our event continued without a hitch.

At the end of my shift I went to tell Susan that there was a hairy moment when Julie had to deal with said poopy little old lady. Susan LOST IT. She actually told me that "Julie had no business dealing with that woman when she should have been taking care of the buffet!" She said she "didn't give a rip about the old lady, because now [she] will get a call from [the client] bitching about having to run back to the kitchen to get food when [she] promised everything would run smoothly." !!!!!!! What the fuck?? Sigh.

I told her, nicely, that I disagree and that I thought Julie did the right thing. Needless to say she again told me I was wrong, still flipping out. Oh well, my direct boss and HER boss both agreed that taking care of the poopy little old lady was the priority over some friggin' pretzels for some over-privileged insurance brokers. If anything, I think Julie should be friggin' commended for taking care of the poopy little old lady instead of backing away and continuing on with the buffet!

Yep, this is my world.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:26 PM   #2
TPunk Emeritus

I agree. Poopy old ladies need to be dealt with pronto! They're like North Korean dictators...you never know what they'll do next...!

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:32 PM   #3
Sandwich Magician

Send a message via Yahoo to PlayPal Send a message via Skype™ to PlayPal

I think "susan" really should stick with dealing with mannequins. They don't have that annoying trait we call human compassion. Soooooo irritating!
Old 10-12-2006, 10:36 PM   #4
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

I would've wiped some of the poop on the bottom of the pretzels.

This is why I'm not in the food biz.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:26 PM   #5
TPunk Emeritus

That's nice that 'susan' really cares about the hotel. I mean christ who cares if a poopy woman is walking around the hotel. Nope fuckin rich business people gotta gorge their fat asses first.

God I hate hotel (any dept.) managers. SV - Hospitality is one wild ride eh.

I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:49 PM   #6
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to TERI

poopy old ladies, hahahaha

I commend "Julie", cause there's no way in hell I could have done that. You couldn't pay me enough to do that. it's jut so eww. like ewww. I think we should just change the subject ...... So, how were the other parties? they go off without a hitch as well, lol.

urple\'> "Wanna feel the warm breeze, sleep under a palm tree, feel the rush of the ocean."
"...Get aboard a fast train, travel on a damn plane."
" Take a Risk, Take a chance, Make a change!"--- Break away. Kelly Clarkson (lol)
TERI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:43 AM   #7
**Wacktose Intolerant**

Location: Currently back in Canada... Saving and plotting my next adventure!
Send a message via AIM to Majestic58 Send a message via MSN to Majestic58 Send a message via Yahoo to Majestic58 Send a message via Skype™ to Majestic58

As someone who works with poopy old people on a daily basis... Let me just say that "Julie" is a fantastic individual for taking care of that... Because lord knows, most of the people would have either pretended not to see or delegated the nasty business to someone else.

Majestic58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:10 AM   #8
Yoda

Jill-- I work at a fancy golf club. But the thing is that this place puts such a HUGE emphasis on excellent guest service--*much* more than the hotel I worked at-- that I was shocked at the suggestion that we did the wrong thing by helping someone who was clearly in dire need of assistance. At first I honestly thought she was kidding.

Whatever. She's not that far off (maybe 20, 25 years) from being a poopy little old lady herself.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:06 AM   #9
TPunk Emeritus

oh yes SV you did mention that to me. I will learn to listen one of these days!

Well tell 'Julie' that we all think she's an awesome worker. She should get employee of the month dammit!
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:41 PM   #10
Don't cut the red wire...

Send a message via MSN to The Monsignor Send a message via Yahoo to The Monsignor

I gotta second that, I don't deal with poopy kids or old folks, either way... I might have brought it to the attention of someone more compassionate than I, but that would be about it...

As to Susan? eh, someone needs to get over themself...

Make war, not love! It's safer!

The Monsignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:47 PM   #11
I'll rock your socks off

wow.... there really are no words....
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom

bellelass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:39 AM   #12
TPunk Emeritus

I don't know how anyone with any shred of humanity would actually give someone shit for helping this women. She was dripping shit for christ's sake!! Man.....some people are really really pathetic.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 07:29 AM   #13
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to noke_travel

good lord

"I showed them...I'm still alive." Homer Simpson
noke_travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:45 AM   #14
lover of Germany

All I can say is yikes

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:29 AM   #15
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to benna2 Send a message via MSN to benna2 Send a message via Yahoo to benna2

I have a 90 year old grandmother who is suffering from dimensia. I love her more than anything. I sincerely hope that if this happened to her someone would be decent enough to help her out. Your boss needs to ask herself how she would want her mother or grandmother to be treated in that situation.

Come visit me in the DR!
www.sosuavacationrentals.com
benna2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 12:44 PM   #16
Yoda

She's not my boss, fortunately. She's a co-worker. My boss *and* Susan's boss believe that Julie did the right thing (and that Susan is a nutcase).
Old 10-17-2006, 05:03 PM   #17
TPunk Recognized

rofl!

im sure you want sympathy right now, but im still getting over the old lady shitting herself hahahahaha

ahhhh man, a day in the life of you

www.youtube.com/jandalworldtour
www.youtube.com/theguzzleguts
mermaidnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:27 PM   #18
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Angry

CRAP!! Reminds me of a Tucker Max story where he shat all over himself and a hotel hallway rushing to the bathroom...

I felt sorry for the janitors reading that.
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote