the look of a tourist - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 06-15-2005, 12:41 PM   #21
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to SuDz

Quote:
Originally posted by space virgin@Jun 14 2005, 11:44 PM
On the other hand, if they make it to TravelPunk and they're smart enough to ask questions and listen to the answers, they're probably in the "cool" crowd.
Sometimes you can only lead the horse to water, ya know?

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Rozza > that should be your sig
SuDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 12:56 PM   #22
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to afterlife3

I would also recommend to research cultural customs at home before going, to try and get you accustomed ahead of time if you are really worried about it.
"The enormity of our endeavor excaped us in those moments; all we could see was the dust on the road ahead and ourselves on the bike, devouring kilometers in our flight northward."- Ernesto Che Guevara

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page. -St. Augustine

http://www.travelpunk.com/boards/index.php..._album&album=14
afterlife3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 05:41 AM   #23
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"belle\")</div>
Quote:
Im afraid you're dead wrong my friend. Backpacking has become kind of hip, and as a result is drawing the student crowd seriously hard[/b]
Boooo... I've only meet a few backpackers I suppose and they seemed dead sound. But we do get alot of the other kind of tourist passing trough here though.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:58 PM   #24
Members

WOO-HOO!!!!! <-- Coolest smiley I have ever seen. Back to the post. How can I study culture without being there? I havent gotten a travel guide yet, so I suppose that should be my first plan? I'm from southern California and if you want to talk about standing out in a crowd, we wrote the book. What can I do to tone down the ora(sp)? I normally wear fleshgear, skin industries, shift, fmf, and pretty much anything not in a department store.
WilliamofSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 06:11 PM   #25
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Quote:
I normally wear fleshgear, skin industries, shift, fmf, and pretty much anything not in a department store.
I don't think that's a problem - riding gear/brands reflect more unique character than, say, wearing your fraternity sweatshirts, cargo shorts and Minnesota Vikings baseball cap everywhere. So it shouldn't be a problem...

If you want to read about various cultures and norms, check out the Culture Shock! series of books for tips on blending in with and not offending the locals.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 06:36 PM   #26
Members

Thanks Omisan, That helps, I'm sure it will be easier to "find myself" when I am myself. I'll check out that link too, I appreciate the help.
WilliamofSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 12:37 AM   #27
Members

I don't know, I think it would be best to not stand out too much. When I traveled last summer, I generally did okay until I pulled out my camera, stopped by a city map for a moment too long, or carried my pack across town alone. The moment I did that, some man was ALWAYS at my elbow, offering to show me around town, asking if I was alone, etc. Most weren't too persistent, especially when they realized I was an exchange student and had a host family expecting me home for dinner, or that I wasn't actually from Asia and spoke fluent English. I was feeling pretty brave for a while. As an Asian American, I can't help standing out as a foreigner, but it seemed to work in my favor.

Then, on my last day in Paris, while carrying my backpack to the metro stop to get to the airport, some creep approached me and began telling me he loved me and wanted to help out with the load. I was so nervous that I didn't dare go to my metro stop, or do anything but keep walking where there were other people. I kept hastily walking for seven blocks, and wondered how I would get rid of him. I told him to fuck off, and that just made him more persistent.. I approached another Frenchman for help, and when the man threatened to kill him he went away for about two minutes, then was trailing me again, quickly catching up and walking so close that his arm brushed against the side of mine. Eventually I ran across an American couple who got rid of him and walked with me to my metro stop to make sure he didn't come back. I was so relieved I nearly hugged them, but I became paranoid after that, and I'm scared to travel alone now and always do my best to fit in.
madcherrylimas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:29 AM   #28
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by madcherrylimas@Jun 20 2005, 07:36 AM
I was so relieved I nearly hugged them, but I became paranoid after that, and I'm scared to travel alone now and always do my best to fit in.
I understand your fears, madcherry, but know that you handled that exactly as you should. Of course, here in the U.S., you could have just maced him and been totally justified... :greenguy:

I hope that you overcome your fear of this incident and continue traveling. The overwhelming number of folks you meet abroad are friendly and happy to help. I remember reading in the guidebooks how "Stand off-ish" the El Salvadorans supposedly are, before I went there last November. However, I met nothing but incredibly friendly and helpful people...some went quite out of there way to assist me.

So, I guess what I'm saying is feel confident in relying on OTHER people over there, if you meet the one creep who you are having trouble getting rid of...

Oh, and WELCOME TO TRAVELPUNK!

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 07:55 AM   #29
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Send a message via AIM to juliagulia Send a message via MSN to juliagulia

Quote:
Originally posted by jakethepunk@Jun 12 2005, 08:35 PM
they always thought I was brasilian down there... something about the clothes I guess....*

Honestly I enjoyed it a bit. The ladies always knew I was foreign and that helps down there. Unfortunately they always thought I was just another european, at least until I opened my mouth. Just for the record they dig americans more than dutch boys.
actually, you have that brazilian look... I can never describe it but there's people (particulary male) that always have that ''brazilian" look. judging from your picture (if thats you) it would make sense if they thought u were brazilian... theyd probably think you were from Rio Grande do Sul (bc people there tend to be lighter skinned... they're mostly descendants of German-Immigrants, while Bahia and other areas are a mix of Portuguese, Italian, Africans, and Native Indians and tend to be darker--- like me! )

brazilians? they worship Americans. esp. since they have a Soap Opera called America thats really popular there now about an illegal brazilian in Miami. once i got to brazil all the neighbors would refer to me as "a americana" (the american girl) and they would ask questions about if its really that easy on the U.S. ....

Living In: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Next up!

Poland (February!)
juliagulia is offline   Reply With Quote